• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
Chris Datres

W&M Postgame Thread

Combination of a lot of things burned us today.  There was bad defense with the lack of recognizing shooters (Milon) and allowing at least 5 backdoor layups.  The complete disappearance of Howard from the offense contributed greatly.  Dottin should be the starting point guard and Howard, at best, should be a 2-guard.  Dottin at least takes care of the ball and he tries to move the defense around with his penetration.   Sanders and Solomon need to be a bit stronger on any drives to the basket.  The backboard isn't there for decoration; they need to use it.  Thomas reverted back to his old form so his days of trying to be the next Craig Hodges is over.  But defensively, it was a real mess and these guys need to figure out how to play better team defense and properly closing out on shooters.

So, I’m going to go all analytical on everyone: we actually made 1 more FG than W&M (26 to 25). But only 2 of ours were 3-pointers, meaning our 26 baskets netted 54 points. OTOH, they made 11 3’s, meaning their 25 baskets netted 61 points. My takeaway-if you’re going to win in college basketball these days, you must have quality 3-point shooting, & we don’t. It’s super that we out rebound everyone, but if you can’t shoot, you don’t win.

Also interesting that W&M has I believe 22 assists (almost every basket they made) & we had 3.

Agree that Dottin should be the starting PG

To be expected. Guys like Sanders, Howard, Fobbs, Dottin and Betrand have never faced this team before. Kind of like Vermont but with a better big man in Knight. Offense was dreadful against zone. Nothing really from Fobbs even though he had a few baskets late. Going 1-1 in road trip is about what you can expect from this team. No A-Train showing today (big Al).

20 minutes ago, Chris Datres said:

Combination of a lot of things burned us today.  There was bad defense with the lack of recognizing shooters (Milon) and allowing at least 5 backdoor layups.  The complete disappearance of Howard from the offense contributed greatly.  Dottin should be the starting point guard and Howard, at best, should be a 2-guard.  Dottin at least takes care of the ball and he tries to move the defense around with his penetration.   Sanders and Solomon need to be a bit stronger on any drives to the basket.  The backboard isn't there for decoration; they need to use it.  Thomas reverted back to his old form so his days of trying to be the next Craig Hodges is over.  But defensively, it was a real mess and these guys need to figure out how to play better team defense and properly closing out on shooters.

Dottin started second half. Thomas started as well for Tunstall, not quite sure why. I would rather Al start for Sanders because of his D and defending Knight. You're asking Sanders to run around and guard Pierce and he can barely guard big men.

19 hours ago, mat1992 said:

Dottin started second half. Thomas started as well for Tunstall, not quite sure why. I would rather Al start for Sanders because of his D and defending Knight. You're asking Sanders to run around and guard Pierce and he can barely guard big men.

Yeah, I've been very unimpressed with Sanders thus far.  I'll give him credit for greatly improving his free throw stroke and not being as much of a liability there but it seems some of the shots he does attempt are rushed.  He took a turnaround jumper from just inside the free throw line in the first half yesterday that I don't think he ever had eyes on the basket as he shot it...looked like something out of a game in the '70s.  If he and Solomon could become a bit more refined in the post, they'd be better options offensively.

Good points made by @TSU88...we had some open looks and couldn't get them to fall against the man and then when W&M went zone, nobody knew what to do with the ball.  That's where Dottin & Fobbs have to use their penetration ability to move the zone around and create open windows.  That's part of the reason why the Tribe had so many assists -- their ball movement was very crisp.

We never seem to attack a zone well but again, new team. Fobbs and Howard both had horrific turnovers trying to force a pass inside the zone. I know we're trying to get the ball into the foul line then shoot or pass it from there.

Back to Back road games is never easy, especially for a young team.  This will continue to be a roller coaster year.  If we can end up .500 on the road and over .500 at home in the league I will be excited for what the future brings.

On 12/30/2018 at 6:36 PM, TSU88 said:

So, I’m going to go all analytical on everyone: we actually made 1 more FG than W&M (26 to 25). But only 2 of ours were 3-pointers, meaning our 26 baskets netted 54 points. OTOH, they made 11 3’s, meaning their 25 baskets netted 61 points. My takeaway-if you’re going to win in college basketball these days, you must have quality 3-point shooting, & we don’t. It’s super that we out rebound everyone, but if you can’t shoot, you don’t win.

Also interesting that W&M has I believe 22 assists (almost every basket they made) & we had 3.

Agree that Dottin should be the starting PG

Lol,are you new to Towson and WM hoops?!  Their offense is a thing of beauty unfortunately they dont defend well. 

2 hours ago, griggey20 said:

Back to Back road games is never easy, especially for a young team.  This will continue to be a roller coaster year.  If we can end up .500 on the road and over .500 at home in the league I will be excited for what the future brings.

If that happens, Skerry would get a parade down York Rd