• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB falls at Drexel, 72-66

On 1/18/2019 at 3:29 PM, tualum said:

yep..

I disagree with this.  I'm not posting, but I'm still reading and honestly I'm kinda tired of the naysayers on this board.  Let's be real about what he took over.  He took over a shitty basketball team with academic troubles, that's generally been a BAD program since the early 1990s, at a University where the student body generally doesn't care about sports and in a state that doesn't care about Towson.    For the most part he has made the team competitive each season and from what it appears the students are getting good grades.  

Having witnessed the Jaskulskis, PKs and everyone in between, hands down he's been our best coach in the last 20+ years. 

Of course I want to make the tournament and of course I think we need better PGs, but as long as the team is competing most seasons and not an embarrassment to the University I'm not going to be ones of these people seeking his replacement.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BK_Brian said:

I disagree with this.  I'm not posting, but I'm still reading and honestly I'm kinda tired of the naysayers on this board.  Let's be real about what he took over.  He took over a shitty basketball team with academic troubles, that's generally been a BAD program since the early 1990s, at a University where the student body generally doesn't care about sports and in a state that doesn't care about Towson.    For the most part he has made the team competitive each season and from what it appears the students are getting good grades.  

Having witnessed the Jaskulskis, PKs and everyone in between, hands down he's been our best coach in the last 20+ years. 

Of course I want to make the tournament and of course I think we need better PGs, but as long as the team is competing most seasons and not an embarrassment to the University I'm not going to be ones of these people seeking his replacement.  

Finally, another voice of reason. 

It becomes almost like politics. If you defend PS, you are an "apologist". If you criticize him too much, you are a naysayer. Of course, there are the "extremists" that want to fire everybody in the athletic department during every loss.

But trying to be objective, this is not a pretty team to watch. They don't pass the ball well, they don't shoot the ball well, but for the most part, PS is going to have this team hustle and play their asses off, thus avoiding getting blown out a ton even though they lack the experience and talent of most people. That second half is the way I feel they need to play. Sharing the ball, making the extra pass, solid D, shot selection. It's a lot easier to shoot when you are open because Dottin drove, sucked the defense in and found McNeill wide open at the top of the key. Why does that happen in every game? I mean the James Madison first half was nearly flawless, but we knew that they weren't going to shoot that well in the second half. It's about playing the right way in 40 minutes, not 20. Tonight's first 20 was as bad as this team looked all season. The second half was about as good as we looked. 

Keep it up playing the right way and the tide will turn. 

6 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

It becomes almost like politics. If you defend PS, you are an "apologist". If you criticize him too much, you are a naysayer. Of course, there are the "extremists" that want to fire everybody in the athletic department during every loss.

But trying to be objective, this is not a pretty team to watch. They don't pass the ball well, they don't shoot the ball well, but for the most part, PS is going to have this team hustle and play their asses off, thus avoiding getting blown out a ton even though they lack the experience and talent of most people. That second half is the way I feel they need to play. Sharing the ball, making the extra pass, solid D, shot selection. It's a lot easier to shoot when you are open because Dottin drove, sucked the defense in and found McNeill wide open at the top of the key. Why does that happen in every game? I mean the James Madison first half was nearly flawless, but we knew that they weren't going to shoot that well in the second half. It's about playing the right way in 40 minutes, not 20. Tonight's first 20 was as bad as this team looked all season. The second half was about as good as we looked. 

Keep it up playing the right way and the tide will turn. 

And that’s where I’ve said for weeks that when these guys gain basketball sense, better things are gonna happen.  That final play that set up Thomas for the bucket tonite was a better example of a final-possession play than numerous D1 teams muster.  If these guys can get more consistency, better things will happen.  We’ve seen glimmers for 20-minute pockets.  Second half of the season, let’s get that to 40. 

6 minutes ago, Chris Datres said:

And that’s where I’ve said for weeks that when these guys gain basketball sense, better things are gonna happen.  That final play that set up Thomas for the bucket tonite was a better example of a final-possession play than numerous D1 teams muster.  If these guys can get more consistency, better things will happen.  We’ve seen glimmers for 20-minute pockets.  Second half of the season, let’s get that to 40. 

I think it's about trust. Now must of us would say, why give it to Thomas? He's not a good shooter. Well, he was against Delaware and he can make that shot with regularity in practice. Tunstall can also make that shot. But we are so intent on making the bigs play with their backs to the basket, we forget that they can face as well. It takes time for some of these guys. Let's face it, they need to recruit more skilled players to go along with the bangers inside. Charles Thompson could be a fine inside player but now they need to surround him with some skilled wings and a point guard.

I agree that it’s too easy & convenient to label folks on this board as either “apologists” (a term I’ve never used btw) or “naysayers” (if expressing my personal opinion makes me a “naysayer” so be it)

(1) The whole “should he stay or should he go” banter is meaningless, as PS, whether you like it or not, ain’t going anywhere. That doesn’t mean I don’t have the right to pontificate that, IMHO, he’s hit a plateau and we’re farther away from our goal of making it back to the NCAA tournament now then we’ve been at any time under his regime, with the exception of his 1st year. It also doesn’t mean I can’t question the type of players he’s recruited and the style of play he employs;

(2) I’m the 1st to credit him for graduating players, but I suppose I’m greedy in that I want to see an entertaining brand of play on the floor, which gets us to the tournament every now and then;

(3) last night was very enjoyable. The 1st half was just atrocious & the 2nd half was like watching a dream sequence...ball movement & hitting open shots. At the risk of being a “naysayer,” if Ryan Allen hits both his ft’s we lose; if he makes just 1 we probably lose in OT. Fortunately, he clanked them both;

(4) I’m also on record as saying PS gets a pass this season, with the loss of something like over 50ppg from last year’s team;

(5) On to NE at home this Thursday. I hope we can play the way we did in the 2nd half last night. We shall see