• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
TSU88

Random thoughts after W today

Very impressed with the team. Bucknell is a legit mid-major, & we beat them, without Morman & Tunstall in the lineup.

We’re deep, & athletic. There will still be stretches where we’ll struggle to score, but, when we get out on transition, we can score in spurts. I thought today that we simply wore Bucknell out in the 2nd half. 

Gorham looked great. Had like 20 & 10. Looks like he might be one of those guys you hear about who makes a big jump from freshman to sophomore year.

Martin is a player. Just needs to control the occasional out of control drives to the hoop.

Morsell looked really good. While his outside shot wasn’t falling, he was extremely productive in transition & driving to the rack.

Eddie Keith had a sports center worthy dunk & looked good 

Alex Thomas showed a nice shooting touch. His challenge will be staying out of foul trouble 

McNeil knocked down a couple 3’s. He looks poised for a productive season

Starr did a nice job handling the ball. I don’t recall any TO’s off the top of my head

Ingram is skinny but really athletic. I don’t see him redshirting, as he can be a big asset in transition 

Prophete was ok. I think he only took 2 shots, but I don’t remember any turnovers 

Drayton didn’t get off the bench. I’m guessing he’s going to redshirt 

On to the regular season 

Yes, Drayton likely to redshirt. Wasn't happy in the first half, though this was a very good Patriot League team with five starters back and a very good center. I wonder if Gorham is the starter because he gives us an offensive threat and Thomas doesn't. Thomas might be better off the bench though he still got in foul trouble today. Gorham can play better defensively and he's pretty good, but what he isn't is 6-10, 240. Their big guy was outstanding and got many good looks against Gorham. Thomas has the size to play him better yet I don't think we are going to face that many quality big guys that are 6-10+ on our schedule aside from Knight from W&M. 

As to the CBS sports rankings, We're #111, out of 351.  Obviously, these preseason rankings, while interesting to look at, can vary wildly by the end of the season.  But, for what its worth, here are rankings for some of the teams we play this season:

C of C:  (everyone's preseason CAA darling) 48

Oakland (not the Raiders):  45

Missouri State (who we might play in the Florida tournament) 58

Georgia Southern (who we might play in the Florida tournament) 89

Bucknell (who we just beat, albeit in an exhibition game) 72

Manhattan (who we play, or might play, in Ireland and/or the Florida tournament) 134

Elon:  131

Hofstra: (my pick for CAA sleeper team) 139

UNCW:  (be nice to see them knocked down a peg) 159

Pittsburgh (not the Steelers.  Our only P5 opponent this year, I think) 153

UMBC:  173

ODU (our season opener, on 11/10) 191

NIU (who we might play in the Florida tournament) 246

Holy Cross (we we play, or might play, in Ireland) 277

FAU (our 1st opponent in the Florida tournament) 313

Edited by TSU88

I saw another site had us around 130 ish. Eveyone is super super high on Charleston which I understand.. But I like our chances this year. 

Hofstra won't be an easy out -- that kid Wright-Foreman is a hell of a shooter and the big kid Gustys is back. And UMBC was a well-coached team that we barely beat last year.

everyone is high on charleston because they are head and shoulders above everyone in the league.

2 bids for CAA is laughable, only real shot is C of C to do work OOC/CAA play and then lose in CAA final *they play a  good OOC sched.

There are 4 Tiers in the CAA this year:

Tier 1. 1. Charleston--return everyone, good coach and physical style of play

Tier 2. 2. Elon-- Return pretty much everyone, well coached and incredibly balance

3. Hofstra-- wright foreman is back along with gustys and pemberton and buie back from injury--negative is their coach

4. Towson

5. UNCW-- Still have cacock and talley

Tier 3. 6. NE- always good and well coached

7. Drexel-- young and showed signs last year

8. WM--lost a ton

Tier 4; 9. Delaware-- Daley and what else?

10. JMU-- Lost a ton of upperclassmen, may be a good thing?