• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

MBB falls to Vermont, 55-38

I’ve been begging for years for a change in recruiting, with an emphasis more on shooters, as opposed to hard-nosed defenders and rebounders. 

The “bang em, bruise em, crash the boards” strategy is a recipe for winning 15 or so games (occasionally 20, if we have a weak OOC schedule), finishing in the middle of the pack in the conference (with an occasional outlier year, higher or lower), and a 1-and-done in the conference tournament.  Whoopee!!!

You’d think Neal is helping with shoot arounds!?

I’m not even gonna touch the travel situation.  

What I sense now and what my gut tells me is that we are a group of individual players and not a program.  
Years ago we felt like a program meaning we had guys like Guthrie & Parker-Rivera who came to play every day and who brought a strong vibe to the program etc. 

I’m not in the locker room and have no clue how chemistry truly is however your upperclassmen are supposed to lead us and by all means these guys are not Pros so a bad game once in a while by an individual is understood. 

But ultimately I agree with many of you..  we aren’t recruiting the right mix of players and not having at least one exceptional shooter on the team is unacceptable.  That being said we need to see the entire season.  

I hate comparing programs but I’m in USF’s backyard watching their games and beating Cal this past week was a mix of 3 point shooting and superior defensive adjustments.  They went 1-3-1 to start the second half and it did wonders.  

Skerry is a class act and righted the ship for us.   Rex Walters did the exact same thing while at USF but they had to move to Kyle Smith who in turn ran off “3” 20 win seasons in a row.  

I know the extension etc.  $$$

We should be having more success with a new arena etc.  Just continue to shit our pants. 

It is truly the time of the Mid Major Program and yet we seem stuck..   Need a fresh young mind to take over with a new approach.  

Worth the risk now although I haven’t thought that the past 3-4 seasons. 

Edited by Bay Area Tiger

23 hours ago, TSU88 said:

I’d also be worried about Gibson (zero points in last 2 games) & Timberlake (shooting 28% from the field so far this season). 

The former is a freshman, so ups and downs are going to happen. As for the latter, perhaps he’ll come on and wind up a 15ppg scorer by the time he’s a senior. But, at least for now, I’m not seeing it. Instead, I’m seeing a kid who simply isn’t a good shooter. And not just from the field either. He’s 2-8 from the foul line. Small sample size, sure, but still 25% is atrocious, especially for a guard 

Apart from scoring, we were hoping Gibson would be our version of UNCW's Toews, who was a freshman last year. But they are light-years apart. Toews was/is a solid feeder. I haven't seen any of that from JG.

12 hours ago, TigerFan54 said:

Apart from scoring, we were hoping Gibson would be our version of UNCW's Toews, who was a freshman last year. But they are light-years apart. Toews was/is a solid feeder. I haven't seen any of that from JG.

UNCW also ran a pretty high powered offense and he penetrated and had players to kick it out to.

22 hours ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

You’d think Neal is helping with shoot arounds!?

I’m not even gonna touch the travel situation.  

What I sense now and what my gut tells me is that we are a group of individual players and not a program.  
Years ago we felt like a program meaning we had guys like Guthrie & Parker-Rivera who came to play every day and who brought a strong vibe to the program etc. 

I’m not in the locker room and have no clue how chemistry truly is however your upperclassmen are supposed to lead us and by all means these guys are not Pros so a bad game once in a while by an individual is understood. 

But ultimately I agree with many of you..  we aren’t recruiting the right mix of players and not having at least one exceptional shooter on the team is unacceptable.  That being said we need to see the entire season.  

I hate comparing programs but I’m in USF’s backyard watching their games and beating Cal this past week was a mix of 3 point shooting and superior defensive adjustments.  They went 1-3-1 to start the second half and it did wonders.  

Skerry is a class act and righted the ship for us.   Rex Walters did the exact same thing while at USF but they had to move to Kyle Smith who in turn ran off “3” 20 win seasons in a row.  

I know the extension etc.  $$$

We should be having more success with a new arena etc.  Just continue to shit our pants. 

It is truly the time of the Mid Major Program and yet we seem stuck..   Need a fresh young mind to take over with a new approach.  

Worth the risk now although I haven’t thought that the past 3-4 seasons. 

Can't have a shoot around when you arrive just before the game! HAHAHA

It's the same cycle EVERY single year: Slight optimism, Beat local teams, lay some stinkers with no offense, player leaves program, blow late leads, lack of creativity offensively and adjustments, No Alpha on the team, go on a 3-4 game strong run middle of CAA play, peak and go back to struggling towards the end, first round CAA exit, Excuses from TL and PS lovers (wait for next season), PS excuse of "just 5-8 close losses defined the season, new players come in, slight optimism returns. 

RINSE WASH REPEAT. It's literally the same thing every year.

• Thanks 1

Fun stat. Since the 2012-13 season, we are 19-15 when holding opposing teams to less than 58 points a game. I would venture to say that is probably the worst winning % in the country. 

While you’re in research mode, I’d be curious to know how many games we’ve won since 2011-12, where we have scored less than 70 points.