• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
tu_fan

Bad at recruiting and coaching.....

where to begin....TSU88 and others have said it well, but i hate our style of offense (there is none).  In the comments, Skerry lamented the ball movement, but he does not recruit players that share the ball.  Outside of Jerome Hairston he has not landed a single guard that can break down a defense and share the ball.  Others have posted - have we ever finished in the TOP HALF of the CAA in assists under Skerry's tenure?  And Skerry set all types of assist records at Tufts....I just don't get it....

I absolutely hate his stubbornness.  A few examples:

- Recruiting athletes:  We landed a 3 star recruit that is a sick athlete in next years class.  How about getting scorers.  The other two guys in the class seem really suspect.  Next year when Fobbs leaves we will be picked dead last in the CAA.  Who will score for us?   And then Skerry will give that dumb canned comment, "we trust our own eyes" as he continues to recruit folks that fit his mold.  Did he try to land Jarious Lyles when he left VCU to go to UMBC?  What a tremendous scorer he was.....Would Skerry have pursued Gary Neal?  Or does he not guard and rebound enough for Skerry?  How can he not see that his "style" is not working?  How about Usher a few years back that ended up at UD.  Was he not strong enough for Skerry?  Having complimentary players works, but having 12 guys with similar limited skill sets is a recipe for failure.  

- Not leveraging the skills of the athletes:  So we have guys who are strong, fast and can leap.  Yet we don't utilize their sklll set.  We lost to Buffalo as they pressed us relentlessly the last 2 minutes.  Why can't we EVER do that to another team?  We have the athletes and depth to do it.  Instead we run this dysfunctional offense where it simply doesn't matter much if you can run fast or jump high in our half court sets....

- Hang up on toughness and strength:  I'm convinced that Skerry's hang up on being strong and tough messes with guys shots.  Gray is skinny.  Is Skerry messing up his shot by trying to make him into a linebacker?  Gray was an outstanding shooter at USD, why is he going bust with us?  We said this last year, but give me a few 98 pound weaklings that can score.  I think the reason that Gray is suffering is that we run that stagnant offense, without players that have a track record of sharing the ball, and no guard that can break down a defense, so Gray is not left open.  We had a similar issue with Four McGlynn.  

Matt- I realize you shouldn't burn a bridge with Pat, but can someone with press credentials ask him when we will have a team that prioritizes assists and shooting?  Next year's recruiting class is AGAIN a major whiff in these categories.  What good will it do to change the lineup and bench Sanders?  Replace him w the offensively challenged (but strong and hard working, Skerry's only priorities) Thompson?  

It would be wise of Skerry to bank much of his existing salary as he will be unemployable once his contract runs out unless he changes his ways.  

!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, tu_fan said:

where to begin....TSU88 and others have said it well, but i hate our style of offense (there is none).  In the comments, Skerry lamented the ball movement, but he does not recruit players that share the ball.  Outside of Jerome Hairston he has not landed a single guard that can break down a defense and share the ball.  Others have posted - have we ever finished in the TOP HALF of the CAA in assists under Skerry's tenure?  And Skerry set all types of assist records at Tufts....I just don't get it....

I absolutely hate his stubbornness.  A few examples:

- Recruiting athletes:  We landed a 3 star recruit that is a sick athlete in next years class.  How about getting scorers.  The other two guys in the class seem really suspect.  Next year when Fobbs leaves we will be picked dead last in the CAA.  Who will score for us?   And then Skerry will give that dumb canned comment, "we trust our own eyes" as he continues to recruit folks that fit his mold.  Did he try to land Jarious Lyles when he left VCU to go to UMBC?  What a tremendous scorer he was.....Would Skerry have pursued Gary Neal?  Or does he not guard and rebound enough for Skerry?  How can he not see that his "style" is not working?  How about Usher a few years back that ended up at UD.  Was he not strong enough for Skerry?  Having complimentary players works, but having 12 guys with similar limited skill sets is a recipe for failure.  

- Not leveraging the skills of the athletes:  So we have guys who are strong, fast and can leap.  Yet we don't utilize their sklll set.  We lost to Buffalo as they pressed us relentlessly the last 2 minutes.  Why can't we EVER do that to another team?  We have the athletes and depth to do it.  Instead we run this dysfunctional offense where it simply doesn't matter much if you can run fast or jump high in our half court sets....

- Hang up on toughness and strength:  I'm convinced that Skerry's hang up on being strong and tough messes with guys shots.  Gray is skinny.  Is Skerry messing up his shot by trying to make him into a linebacker?  Gray was an outstanding shooter at USD, why is he going bust with us?  We said this last year, but give me a few 98 pound weaklings that can score.  I think the reason that Gray is suffering is that we run that stagnant offense, without players that have a track record of sharing the ball, and no guard that can break down a defense, so Gray is not left open.  We had a similar issue with Four McGlynn.  

Matt- I realize you shouldn't burn a bridge with Pat, but can someone with press credentials ask him when we will have a team that prioritizes assists and shooting?  Next year's recruiting class is AGAIN a major whiff in these categories.  What good will it do to change the lineup and bench Sanders?  Replace him w the offensively challenged (but strong and hard working, Skerry's only priorities) Thompson?  

It would be wise of Skerry to bank much of his existing salary as he will be unemployable once his contract runs out unless he changes his ways.  

!

What do you want to do?! It’s not pats fault!  

We have never finished better than 8-9th in assists. Bad offense and style. Bad passers selfish players and bad scorers. Doesn’t bode well for trying to collect assists. We don’t even bully Teams and get offensive boards and to the ft like anymore   

The caa is and has been bad since he took over and he still can’t win. Didn’t do it with 2 time POTY. no one will ask him questions before no one frankly cares.  Any other caa school this man woulda been axed already.  45 fuc*ing points at home! It’s embarrassing. 5-7 record. Soon to be 5-9.  Skerry needs to go

tu_fan with the post of the year

So, I took a sneak peek into next year’s incoming class and here’s what it revealed: Biekeu, the Canadian kid, is shooting 37.5% from the field, based on box scores posted on the twitter account of the team he plays for. Barnes, the G out of DC is avg 10ppg, per max preps website, while Jones, the Oak Hill kid, is avg 5 ppg (disclaimer-the stats on Barnes & Jones are not 100% up-to-date).

What about the 2 transfers (Victor U & Mims) who are sitting out this year? The former should be a major presence on D, but if anyone is expecting him to score 15-20ppg, you may be sorely disappointed. There’s nothing in his 2 years on the bench at USC to suggest he’s that guy. He appears to be rail thin, and it’s fair to ask what kind of coaching, that will benefit him on the offensive end, is he getting here. As for Mims, he’s prototypical Skerry-a high flyer athlete not known for his jump shooting prowess.

So, if you like the 2019 TU team, that has already had 2 games of scoring 45 points or less, you’ll probably love the 2020 version

I agree pressing needs to happen more and not these show pressure, back off as soon as they make one pass type presses. Need to be create havoc type presses. 

Anyone think maybe that these guys aren’t selfish before getting into this system and the system just makes them start playing selfishly? Also it’s skerry day job to shut down selfishness in practice so it doesn’t translate to them games. I don’t think Gibson is naturally a selfish player but even he’s has fallen into the system of selfishness a little. 

As for the recruits and recruiting, I agree he recruits the same type of guys and I don’t like it either, but I think the woes on offense are scheme and coaching related more than recruit related. Fobbs has regressed offensively and Gibson hasn’t played to his potential. No reason these guys shouldn’t be getting better other than coaching and creating mental toughness

Will be at the game Monday to and will probably be the only two games I get to make this year. Praying that this one is a better showing then the other.....

I don’t think Jerome Hairston was about sharing the basketball. Look at his numbers. Unfortunately, we end up getting guys that were either selfish in high school or just become shot jackers up here.

Gibson had no assists yesterday. That’s not who he was a month ago or months ago when they first started practicing. They were moving the ball well in practice and then the lights go on. Teams know how to defend them. They study their tendencies for six weeks.

It’s either a culture or system or both where we continue to have guys not believe or trust in each other. We’re not the only team that has those issues. A lot of point guards become scorers in college and HS and that’s why a guy like Kai Toews was so refreshing to watch.

I’m not going to scrutinize a coach in the press conference. If he wants to see criticism, he can read this board. I asked about the droughts yesterday and will continue to pursue questions about team play if they play like they did on Saturday.

But one thing I will definitely not do is jump off the bandwagon because this team played a horrible opening conference game. Last year against a better Northeastern team, we were shockingly victorious. Even Bill Coen teams throw in clunkers every now and then.

Am I disappointed with the way the recruits are playing so far? To a lesser extent yes. But next season, they will have to rely more on the older players and Mims. Yes, I do wish he recruited at least one shooter or pure scorer. Jones has the ability to become one. He doesn’t have to score much on that loaded Oak Hill team.

Also, I have talked constantly about how we don’t use our athletes enough. We don’t even trap in the half court, which we were doing some in preseason.

As Pat put it in the press conference, Monday is a must-win game for many reasons. 

Pats calling game two of CAA a must win game?? Kind of surprised by that but how they play will be a good indication on whether these guys have given up on him or not bc the northeastern game looked like they had....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TowsonTiger11 said:

I agree pressing needs to happen more and not these show pressure, back off as soon as they make one pass type presses. Need to be create havoc type presses. 

Anyone think maybe that these guys aren’t selfish before getting into this system and the system just makes them start playing selfishly? Also it’s skerry day job to shut down selfishness in practice so it doesn’t translate to them games. I don’t think Gibson is naturally a selfish player but even he’s has fallen into the system of selfishness a little. 

As for the recruits and recruiting, I agree he recruits the same type of guys and I don’t like it either, but I think the woes on offense are scheme and coaching related more than recruit related. Fobbs has regressed offensively and Gibson hasn’t played to his potential. No reason these guys shouldn’t be getting better other than coaching and creating mental toughness

Will be at the game Monday to and will probably be the only two games I get to make this year. Praying that this one is a better showing then the other.....

Sorry man. Hofstra is much better and athletic than Ne. They don’t play defense and aren’t deep (same as ne). Honestly don’t expect it to be close 78-60 score range.  Then again pat skerry and Towson Athletics And consistently inconsistent. 

Haven’t had a 1st team CAA player since 2013-14 season. 2013 just called & said Benimon ain’t coming back.

Moto I think made 2nd team. Not sure if Morsell did. Fobbs was pre-season 1st team, but is unlikely to actually be on the 1st team when it counts, at the end of the season.

Still haven’t won more than 1 game in any CAA conference tournament. 

1 impact HS recruit-Morsell, who scored about 1,500 points, putting him in the top 10 in school history 

Still waiting for a quality PG after 9 years 

A revolving door of players who for one reason or another clang up one brick after another. 

A half court “offense” which repeatedly devolves down to running the shot clock down to 5 seconds & throwing up a prayer.

Coming up small at the end of close games; games where we struggle to score 40 points.

Have I left anything out?

Call it Groundhog Day, call it rinse, wash and repeat, call it insanity (doing the same thing over and over & expecting a different result). I call it dreck 

24 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Haven’t had a 1st team CAA player since 2013-14 season. 2013 just called & said Benimon ain’t coming back.

Moto I think made 2nd team. Not sure if Morsell did. Fobbs was pre-season 1st team, but is unlikely to actually be on the 1st team when it counts, at the end of the season.

Still haven’t won more than 1 game in any CAA conference tournament. 

1 impact HS recruit-Morsell, who scored about 1,500 points, putting him in the top 10 in school history 

Still waiting for a quality PG after 9 years 

A revolving door of players who for one reason or another clang up one brick after another. 

A half court “offense” which repeatedly devolves down to running the shot clock down to 5 seconds & throwing up a prayer.

Coming up small at the end of close games; games where we struggle to score 40 points.

Have I left anything out?

Call it Groundhog Day, call it rinse, wash and repeat, call it insanity (doing the same thing over and over & expecting a different result). I call it dreck 

You left out one other thing......We have not had a single player in the top 10 in assists since 2013, Jerrelle Benimon.  We've never had a single player average 3 assists or greater since then.  Our team leader in assists last year, Nakaye Sanders.  When Sanders and Fobbs leave, we will challenge some of our all time worst teams for offensive futility.....Also, have we had any players on the CAA all rookie team other than Hairston (did Morsell make it?)?