• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

MBB falls to Charleston 81-69 to fall to 0-3 in the CAA (story)

https://towsontigers.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2019-20/college-of-charleston/boxscore/15040

https://towsontigers.com/news/2020/1/2/mens-basketball-sanders-has-double-double-against-charleston.aspx

Yes, this was the toughest start for any CAA team to open with NE, Hofstra and Charleston, but two were at home. Tonight, we might have played our best game considering the opponent and the atmosphere. Yet, it's tied midway through the second half and we try and go zone. Then we start experimenting with a big lineup with Betrand at the 1, Fobbs at the 2 and Gray at the 3. Next thing you know, they go up five. Then you get the typical six+ minute drought with no field goals. I would have left well enough alone at the time. We were in the game and tied. If we were down five, I get the experimenting and going zone. But when Riller is on form, no effing way can you go zone, unless match up on him.

Only positive was Sanders with 20 points and 11 rebounds. Also, we go 20 of 23 from the line and Sanders, maybe the worst free throw shooter in the league who starts went 9 for 9.

Quotes aren't worth repeating here from post game. Same stuff. Guys who are usually good shooters are struggling from long range (Fobbs, Gibson, Gray). He added Timberlake but I'm not sure he's a good shooter. Maybe in practice but in games, he misses badly. And as I said with him, if he doesn't drive and you don't get him in transition, he's can't just rely on that jumper. Hate to pick apart a player, but he wasn't good from jump.

But you know who wasn't good from the tip and played great when he needed to? Grant Riller. Dude is just a baller and the only guy who can stop Riller is Riller. When he's missing, you are lucky. When he's in a zone from 3 or off the dribble, forget it. Every other CAA coach will applaud when he graduates. He's that good and will get a lot more pleasure watching him face other teams or maybe get his shot next season in the NBA or at least the G-League as a 2-way guy.

“Same stuff”. Great, way to inspire them Pat! Now 5-9 on the season and 22-44 since the extension.  Pks last 66 games was 17-49. Let that sink in...

Who wants to take bets on who the next player is the quits/gets booted? We lost 1 possibly 3 already. Winner gets a beer at the Arena. Another game holding a team below 42 and 34 shooting. Another double digit loss.

someone look at the Wm Hofstra box score. Yikes. Wm has a rookie head coach and just beat them by 27. Twenty freaking seven on the road. 

6 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

“Same stuff”. Great, way to inspire them Pat! Now 5-9 on the season and 22-44 since the extension.  Pks last 66 games was 17-49. Let that sink in...

Who wants to take bets on who the next player is the quits/gets booted? We lost 1 possibly 3 already. Winner gets a beer at the Arena. Another game holding a team below 42 and 34 shooting. Another double digit loss.

someone look at the Wm Hofstra box score. Yikes. Wm has a rookie head coach and just beat them by 27. Twenty freaking seven on the road. 

Great job by the new W&M coach. Nice pick up in Van Vliet from Wisconsin and Knight is still Knight. But guess what? Unlike Shaver, he actually has the team playing defense and rebounding more so maybe they did the right thing. 

I don't what you mean by three already. The brothers went home (either Florida or Africa for the break). It's not time to fold the ship yet after losing to three very good teams. Now lose to UNCW, Drexel and Delaware (should at least go 2-1), then as Michael Ray Richardson once said, "The ship be sinking."

Charleston only had 2 turnovers and then shot 12-25 in the second half.  
And we only had 5 assists. 

Positive is we are getting contributions from Bertrand/NT/Gibson/CT...  our young core.  

Let’s beat UNCW..  they are winless as well.  

I suppose the easy way to analyze this L is to say that Riller was the difference. While that’s true to an extent, I think it goes deeper than that. Absent two 3-pointers in garbage time, we had 6 players (Gibson, Dottin, Tunstall, Timberlake, Gray & Thompson) who combined for 12 points the rest of the game. Meanwhile, the lowest scoring C of C starter had 10 points by himself. I don’t see how you can win when 6 of the 9 guys in the rotation simply aren’t good scorers, outside of an aberrational game here and there.

Mat, you described 3 guys (Fobbs, Gibson & Gray) who “are usually good shooters” who struggled from long range. The numbers however suggest they are all anything but good shooters. Fobbs is barely 40% on the season, & is a miserable 19-75 from 3 (26%). Gray might have been a good shooter at some point, but he needs to go back to San Diego to retrieve his touch-he’s a 40% shooter on the year & 12-35 (33%) from 3. Meanwhile, Gibson is a putrid 33% on the year, and even worse from 3 (16-59, for 27%). He’s jacking up way too many shots, & getting very few assists. Absent his games vs GW & Kent State, it’s fair to say our PG problems still persist. Maybe he’ll make a leap between his freshman & sophomore seasons, but right now we’re going into every game at a major disadvantage at PG. 

I didn’t want to pile on tonight..  trying to stay positive with this coaching regime..

PS’s comments and you tell me...

”I think we can still get there”

”Not making enough shots”

“Worry about playing the right way”

“Guard and rebound at a decent level”

Go Tigers...   I hope guys start playing better.  

22 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

Great job by the new W&M coach. Nice pick up in Van Vliet from Wisconsin and Knight is still Knight. But guess what? Unlike Shaver, he actually has the team playing defense and rebounding more so maybe they did the right thing. 

I don't what you mean by three already. The brothers went home (either Florida or Africa for the break). It's not time to fold the ship yet after losing to three very good teams. Now lose to UNCW, Drexel and Delaware (should at least go 2-1), then as Michael Ray Richardson once said, "The ship be sinking."

Tony didn’t win the big one and they axed him. Laycock was old and stale too. We need a Samantha Huge at Towson. An AD with a vision who wants to win.

the ship is sunk. Every year we suck to start go 2-5 or something. Win a couple in the middle then “peak” and stumble across the finish line. It’s the pat skerry circle that we’ve been stuck in for 6 years now. 

I think it’s very odd that players on the team aren’t present. Sure give them a week or so off for the holidays. They are redshirting and should be practicing every day. Pat has been strict with players like this in the past, and when they weren’t there... well you know. I find it very fishy

5 assists.  No one had more than 1.  Coming into the game we were 316th in the country in assists, averaging 10.9 a game.  This is not being addressed in next years class either.  Skerry's recruting is becoming reckless and irresponsible, muck like PK's last class that featured Alex Giergen among other busts.  

I feel as sour as i did under the PK tenure.  We are bad this year and next year we will be historically bad.  

Bay Area Tiger, if I were piling on, I’d point out that since 12/20/27, a span of 68 games, we are 24 W’s vs 44 L’s. I would further point out that in his last 68 games, PK, (when the CAA still had ODU, JMU, GMU & Georgia State as members) was 17-51. Thus, Skerry’s record the last 2+ seasons is marginally better than the dumpster fire coach who he took over from.

I would also point out we’ve lost 8 conference games in a row.

• Thanks 1

Did Skerry really mention "guard and rebound" after the game AGAIN?  You had 5 assists, Pat.  How clueless are you?  Will you ever focus or comment on 3 point shooting and getting assists?