• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

Slow start dooms MBB in 61-51 loss to W&M

8 hours ago, mat1992 said:

Nobody wants to hear it after the loss, but the fact that we've worked on some form of the press is big. Especially for next year when we have Mims, Solly back, Darrick Jones and Victor. But I'm not going to go into that now. It's something that we can't use for 40 minutes right now. Not with 8 players. But on the first attempt against W&M, we forced a turnover, probably because they weren't prepared for it.

This. A press mixed in with a match-up zone once in a while is only going to help. I know we aren't doing it at this point in the year. Pat has gone zone a little more this year than in years past, which is not his style.

8 hours ago, mat1992 said:

I assume one of the strengths you'll be talking about is transition and when it comes to tempo and I think we're ranked 310th in the nation or close to it. We do try to run off of misses, assuming we corral the boards, but need to push the ball off of makes as well.

Yes, that and pressing a bit. We need to run some pick and rolls and pick and pops (with Gray) as well. Gibson is a good driver and in our offense, rarely is that occurring. Yes like Dottin he sometimes gets to deep and cant finish over big men, but when he drives and people actually CUT and MOVE, he finds them open!  Dennis could have been an adequate pick and roll player once in a while, but we rarely look that way.  Last night and a lot of the season, Sanders has done a very good job posting up and is open a ton. We are SCARED to give an entry pass to the post! That's very frustrating!! Also would like Nick to develop a baseline move to drive. He is best in transition or in the corner shooting. If he can get his guy in the air, and do something on the drive, that could be real good.

Definitely was missing the whole drive and dish out game. Also Sanders not being able to stay on the floor really hurt the offense 

1 hour ago, El Tigre Oro said:

Just seems we can only go so far with the Leonard/Skerry combo.

Yes, yes and more yes.

While I sincerely appreciate some of the real in-depth game-by-game analysis that is discussed here, I do think there's a bit of wishful (delusional?) thinking that happens here as well.  

The BIG picture reality is this:  History tells us that Pat Skerry teams are NOT built to win big games.  Pat Skerry is not a very good, maybe not even a mediocre, recruiter of talent.  Pat Skerry's coaching style has NOT translated to winning big games.  Pat Skerry has NOT proven to be a great developer of talent.....does he "coach up" his guys and get them to outperform or overachieve their given abilities?  Is he an innovative tactician or strategist?

I know we all desperately want our Towson Tigers to get to the Big Dance.  I believe some of us are also trying to convince ourselves that Pat Skerry can do it.  The sample size is big enough at this point in time to know what we have in PS. He's a first class man of the highest integrity.  He deserves nothing but happiness and blessings in his life.  But he's never going to deliver a team that consistently and realistically challenges for a CAA Championship.

Who among us HONESTLY believes that this team has it in them to run the table in the CAA tournament?

I understand the nightmare contract and the futility of hoping for some kind of change.  Tim Leonard needs to be on the hot seat, if he isn't already. 

• Thanks 1

I’m going to reserve much of what I want to say until after the season. For now, the obvious focus is on tomorrow’s game vs Elon. A W & I believe we clinch a top 6 finish. A L means we remain in jeopardy of falling into a PIG and also the possibility of going into the tournament on a 4-game losing streak. At the risk of stating the obvious, tomorrow should tell us a great deal about this team.

18 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

I’m going to reserve much of what I want to say until after the season. For now, the obvious focus is on tomorrow’s game vs Elon. A W & I believe we clinch a top 6 finish. A L means we remain in jeopardy of falling into a PIG and also the possibility of going into the tournament on a 4-game losing streak. At the risk of stating the obvious, tomorrow should tell us a great deal about this team.

Correct. Any 1 win and or Elon loss clinches the 6 for us. A win by us and NE loss, clinches the 5...

I don’t want to get ahead of things, but assuming we finish in the top 6, which team(s) would be a favorable matchup for us? 

10 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

I don’t want to get ahead of things, but assuming we finish in the top 6, which team(s) would be a favorable matchup for us? 

Elon, Drexel, Delaware are probably the best but I don’t see us facing either. Maybe the Hens in 4-5 or 3-6 game. I wouldn’t mind playing the Tribe again assuming we’re not going to shoot 27% again. But you know it’s going to be Charleston