• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB received one vote in the AP Poll

Pretty cool. If my memory serves me, did we not get a vote or two the year SECU opened, after we beat Temple?

Anyway, as I pontificated on another thread, the 5 games after this week, the ones vs Oakland, Pitt, C of C, Elon & UNCW (all but 1 on the road) will be a real barometer of where this years team stands.

44 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Pretty cool. If my memory serves me, did we not get a vote or two the year SECU opened, after we beat Temple?

Anyway, as I pontificated on another thread, the 5 games after this week, the ones vs Oakland, Pitt, C of C, Elon & UNCW (all but 1 on the road) will be a real barometer of where this years team stands.

Agreed. These polls mean little at this point albeit good for the team. The next couple of games starting at Oakland will be a true indicator on how good we really are..

49 minutes ago, tualum said:

Agreed. These polls mean little at this point albeit good for the team. The next couple of games starting at Oakland will be a true indicator on how good we really are..

Let's not sleep on Morgan and UMBC.  Even though they're both at home and should be double-digit wins, these guys have logged a lot of miles of travel over the last 2 weeks and certainly have the possibility of coming out flat.  They've gotten off to rotten starts in the last 2 games so hopefully, they'll be fresh enough on Wednesday night to jump on the Bears.

While I agree re a possible let-up of effort after so many victories plus the travel fatigue factor, I've another worry. We're doing pretty well, in fact one of the best starts as you all are doubtless aware. And other HCs / teams likely have our prominent stature in mind as they face us; & they'll be gunning for us, wanting to be the one who'll gain recognition in toppling us; the "team to beat", if you will..

That said, I feel Skerry & Co will be motivating these Tigers. He knows he's got them on a roll...

Hope we get a good jump against MSU, which will give the bench valuable playing time.. Would like to also see a return to confidence and productivity w the 3-pt shooting..

John Feinstein is the person who voted for us in the AP top 25. The Sun has a whiny article about how we got a vote & MD didn’t. The author laments the fact that we don’t have impressive wins over Butler & Bucknell, like MD does (conveniently leaving out MD’s loss to St. Bonaventure) & that MD is ranked 40th in some analytics poll, while we’re not in the top 100. 

To this I submit the following rejoinder: Boo freaking hoo for those poor turtles. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TSU88 said:

John Feinstein is the person who voted for us in the AP top 25. The Sun has a whiny article about how we got a vote & MD didn’t. The author laments the fact that we don’t have impressive wins over Butler & Bucknell, like MD does (conveniently leaving out MD’s loss to St. Bonaventure) & that MD is ranked 40th in some analytics poll, while we’re not in the top 100. 

To this I submit the following rejoinder: Boo freaking hoo for those poor turtles. 

A-men!!! - We win a 2nd tournament in 2 weeks, and the Sunday Sun gives us a dinky headline topping the Small Fry Report. Maryland by contrast was given a nice fat write-up on improving players, etc.. The Sun could've done us better..

Guess it's up to the Tigers to put on a further display of skill & accomplish a 10-1 record - wonder if THAT will be cause enough for a little higher media profile?

My prayer is that these next five days we'll have the Tigers tuning up  to terrorize opponents in their visits with Oakland and to Pittsburgh.

This team does look solid, but the battle for media is one that Towson will always face. Baltimore is Orioles, Ravens and Maryland......when the Tigers get do something extraordinary, the media...Sun, Radion, TV News, etc. ..they will get a mention. To win the tournament they beat LaSalle and Manhattan.....I understand that it is great to win the event and where the program is now is unquestionably in the right direction....but they beat LaSalle and Manhattan. Once they beat a Power 5 school or a strong basketball school, such as Georgetown, the media will improve, but it will never be comparable to what Maryland gets here. That is what made VCU (as well as Shaka Smart ) and George Mason (as well as Jim Larranaga) hot commodities. This team can do it, but until they do, they are a media afterthought. 

3 hours ago, Moleman said:

While I agree re a possible let-up of effort after so many victories plus the travel fatigue factor, I've another worry. We're doing pretty well, in fact one of the best starts as you all are doubtless aware. And other HCs / teams likely have our prominent stature in mind as they face us; & they'll be gunning for us, wanting to be the one who'll gain recognition in toppling us; the "team to beat", if you will..

That said, I feel Skerry & Co will be motivating these Tigers. He knows he's got them on a roll...

Hope we get a good jump against MSU, which will give the bench valuable playing time.. Would like to also see a return to confidence and productivity w the 3-pt shooting..

If you watched the Manhattan game you could see the enthusiasm they had when they had a dunk or hit a three against us in the first half. It was almost like David vs Goliath to them. Kind of cool for it to be on the other foot after all those years

• Like 1