• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB received one vote in the AP Poll

2 hours ago, Tgr4life said:

This team does look solid, but the battle for media is one that Towson will always face. Baltimore is Orioles, Ravens and Maryland......when the Tigers get do something extraordinary, the media...Sun, Radion, TV News, etc. ..they will get a mention. To win the tournament they beat LaSalle and Manhattan.....I understand that it is great to win the event and where the program is now is unquestionably in the right direction....but they beat LaSalle and Manhattan. Once they beat a Power 5 school or a strong basketball school, such as Georgetown, the media will improve, but it will never be comparable to what Maryland gets here. That is what made VCU (as well as Shaka Smart ) and George Mason (as well as Jim Larranaga) hot commodities. This team can do it, but until they do, they are a media afterthought. 

Well said.. Thank you. Think everyone is jumping the gun a little bit here..

Yeah please show no optimism here. It’s unbecoming of this board so essentially if we don’t beat Oakland or Pitt on the road, we are frauds.

Also, I have not read one post where people are saying it's over. Crown us. It's ok to applaud this basketball team for their early start. They have some holes.They'll struggle in the CAA probably in the first few games on the road. But damn, it's ok to be positive for once.

• Haha 1

Seems like before impressing the Sunpapers, we first hafta do more to capture some fan support on the board here.  :0

For my part, I never gave / meant to give any guarantees of success. Rather this is clearly the best this program's looked since Benimon was last here, possibly better (more depth & wider variety of options), and I believe we're headed in a good direction. And I also believe the media has been (in the last week or so) slow to tune into this Tiger MBb ascent this season (..so far).. Just feelin' optimistic as the dice are thrown, that's all.

I said absolutely nothing negative. All I said is, YES, we need to beat a Pitt on the road if you want significant media coverage in Baltimore.....and NO, losing to Pitt does not make it a fraud....it makes it mid major.

This team appears to be a solid CAA team.......but that is not enough to get coverage instead of Maryland. 

Again, this team looks good, but many of you have been following a Towson longer than I........when was the last time, TU got coverage......above the fold. The students don’t care and generally the community does not care either. You need to have a signature win.  Post season does not mean CBI.......post season means either NIT or NCAA.....then folks might pay attention.

All in all, just enjoy a good basketball team.

The Sun will never cover us. so it really doesn't matter. We could win the CAA Tournament. It doesn't matter. UMBC went to the NCAA's. Morgan did. Loyola did in 1994. Coppin did several times. All after us. They'll give us a feature here and there and send more writers, but it's always going to be about College Park. We need to be on TV more, not just the internet but that's the CAA's problem. A win over Pitt is not going to change that. A win over Maryland last season? Yes, that would have been big. That's the team we need to beat or compete with even in all sports, including football.

My goal since I started doing this in 2001 was to build the brand. I try it on Twitter as much as possible. Maybe we should push Facebook more but either way, this is what I love to do in my spare time. That's push this program, esp. when things are good. And in basketball, we're getting closer and closer to where we should be and that's a top-tier CAA program.

I love that we have won 20+ in 3 of the last 4 seasons but we still find a way to shoot this program down.  During my time at Towson we were hopefully for a winning season, nevermind 20+.  This team has a shot to do/be something special.  Wins @ Oakland and @ Pitt would be great, but that won't define this season.

Mat, is 13 the highest we've ever been ranked in the MM poll?

1 hour ago, griggey20 said:

I love that we have won 20+ in 3 of the last 4 seasons but we still find a way to shoot this program down.  During my time at Towson we were hopefully for a winning season, nevermind 20+.  This team has a shot to do/be something special.  Wins @ Oakland and @ Pitt would be great, but that won't define this season.

Mat, is 13 the highest we've ever been ranked in the MM poll?

Good question, I’d have to check back on the JB 25-win season.

Nobody is finding a way to shoot the team down...they are headed in the right direction......but you just need to hold your horses before you name them national champions. They are a good CAA team....and that is something to be appreciated. Coach Skerry has done a wonderful job....but to get to the next level, they need a signature win.....and a win over Pitt does that...a win over Manhattan does not.

Given the choice, I might rather have a W over Oakland than Pitt. Of course I’d like both, but a W over Oakland, a top tier mid-major, might do more for us than one over an average to below average P5 school. 

I’ll take a split. Just hope we don’t come home empty handed. I’m pretty doubtful CAA is going to be a 2 bid league, so ultimately it might still come down to the conference tournament anyway.

Edited by TSU88

As a follow up to my last post, I noticed Oakland is currently 5-4. While that includes losses to Kansas & Syracuse, it also includes losses to Toledo & E Michigan, as well as close wins over the likes of Oral Roberts, W Michigan & TX Southern