• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Reality check: Oakland smokes MBB, 97-86 (story)

No doubt, they are very good and Nunn is a pro somewhere. They nearly beat the No. 2 team in the nation on a neutral floor. But he was open a handful of times tonight. Two of three times guys completely lost him. It was a terrible effort defensively. I'm more concerned with the offense and the constant fouling.

We do foul a lot. Because we’re deep, we can usually spread the fouls out, but we can ill afford to be putting teams in the bonus & double bonus on the foul line on a regular basis 

McNeil looked really good. Took really good looks and made every one of them. If he keeps getting more confidence, I like him to become one of the key players on the team. 

Oakland seems like they had a very good counter style to Towson. High powered, high paced offense. Towson just does not look ready to be getting itself into shootouts like this one and it seems like it was a game Towson can learn a lot from.

While it wasn’t a great result, I enjoyed watching this one. Oakland is an athletic team with great outside shooting. Could probably learn a few things from them on the offensive end.

10 hours ago, lightspeednate said:

McNeil looked really good. Took really good looks and made every one of them. If he keeps getting more confidence, I like him to become one of the key players on the team. 

Oakland seems like they had a very good counter style to Towson. High powered, high paced offense. Towson just does not look ready to be getting itself into shootouts like this one and it seems like it was a game Towson can learn a lot from.

While it wasn’t a great result, I enjoyed watching this one. Oakland is an athletic team with great outside shooting. Could probably learn a few things from them on the offensive end.

You enjoyed being down 24 points? Sorry, that was tough to take after winning 10 straight games. It's tough for me to watch any Towson team get whipped like that, esp. against a mid-major. We straight up got punked. Couldn't handle their speed and sure, maybe some of that is the long rest but I don't know if the score would be much different if we had 3 days off.

McNeill was fine but every time you expect him to take his game to another level, he stays the same. Some of that is him playing more off the ball, which is what he's better at instead of handling the point.

Expected it to be closer but no shame in losing this one. Oakland is legit. 

Pitt is a different story.  They are just not good.  If we lose to them I will be concerned.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mat1992 said:

You enjoyed being down 24 points? Sorry, that was tough to take after winning 10 straight games. It's tough for me to watch and Towson team get whipped like that, esp. against a mid-major. We straight up got punked. Couldn't handle their speed and sure, maybe some of that is the long rest but I don't know if the score was much different if we had 3 days off.

McNeill was fine but every time you expect him to take his game to another level, he stays the same. Some of that is him playing more off the ball, which is what he's better at instead of handling the point.

Agreed on Mcneil. He’s somewhat one dimensional, but I do see him as a much needed hot hand type player for the team. He also has ability to dribble and pull up when he wants to create a better look for himself. I think he has potential to be very efficient offensively on limited usage. I think He’s much better than a Four Mcglynn who had poor dribbling/driving and mostly preferred to catch and shoot. 

As for the game, yes the defense was somewhat poor,  but it’s hard to get anything going with the way they started. Like you said Oakland did a great job running off a rebound and Towson had trouble getting set. I think Oakland really had their minds set that they were going to win this one. Pretty flawless execution on their side until the last 8 mins in this one. I think it was good to see Towson being pushing to its limits by a team that was clearly feeling it.

Edited by lightspeednate

Of the four games on this road trip, this matchup against Oakland was the one I thought might be the most difficult. Oakland lost a few times in conference play at home last year, but I watched them last Saturday against Michigan State when the caught fire behind the arc, and had seen bits and pieces of other games before that. I knew they would be tough to contain offensively in their own building. I think the personnel and pace will match up better for us against Pittsburgh tomorrow. Sounds like the Panthers most consistent player is out for tomorrow's game (http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/221/pittsburgh-panthers), and they have struggled at times this year against the likes of Mt. St. Mary's, Delaware State and lost to Navy. As Mat said, we have not played all that well lately. There are very general statements, but we need to avoid the slow starts in these upcoming road games, and figure out a way to have more consistent level of play on the road. 

• Like 1

First half was super tough to watch.. This games does make you miss the bigs that Towson is used to having over the past 4 seasons for sure.. I actually spoke to Benimon yesterday, hes traveling in Europe... Besides the fact, I might have to shoot a text over to Al Thomas and tell him slow feet dont eat, that hesitation move was down right dirty against him. But hopefully back to the winning ways against Pitt. The last surge by Morsell was positive after being absent the whole game... What is Morsell's deal??