• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

General MBB thread 2021-22

1 hour ago, TuTigers2012 said:

awful ending.  Wm couldn’t win 5-8 today.  4 point game with 55 seconds left. An and 1 for Uncw off of a miss that doesn’t touch rim. Home cooking as they reset the shot clock. Review and uphold it.  Absolute garbage.  

That was a pretty brutal job by the refs at the end. They took a few minutes to look at it on replay and just ignored the visual evidence. UNC-W probably would have won anyways, but still pretty bad officiating. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tiger93 said:

That was a pretty brutal job by the refs at the end. They took a few minutes to look at it on replay and just ignored the visual evidence. UNC-W probably would have won anyways, but still pretty bad officiating. 

Agreed but 4 point game 55 seconds left vs 7 is a big difference. Hopefully they don’t get away with any funny business Thursday. They were fouling a ton today a la vcu havoc and the zebras just let them play

15 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Agreed but 4 point game 55 seconds left vs 7 is a big difference. Hopefully they don’t get away with any funny business Thursday. They were fouling a ton today a la vcu havoc and the zebras just let them play

Without getting too Zen here, the team, to the extent it even paid attention to that game today, has to put all that noise/clutter to one side and focus on the things it can control, such as the outcome of Thursday night’s game. Btw, if I’m not mistaken, with UNCW’s W today, Thursday’s game isn’t for 1st place. Even if we win, I’m pretty sure UNCW will still be in 1st place, by virtue of having 1 more conference W. What a W would do for us is bring us even with them (at 3) in the loss column. Realistically, Thursday is an elimination game for us-if we lose, we’re practically eliminated from winning the conference. If we win, we’re still very much in play, but will have 2 road games remaining (C of C & JMU) + JMU at home and the resumed game vs DE, where we’ll be spotting them a 9-point lead, with 18 minutes to play 

17 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

I think we are up for a physical battle against them. Although, they did wear us down in the first meeting. As I expressed in another thread, one of my biggest worries is tight officiating. I think early foul trouble for Cam, CT or Nolan Jr. is dangerous for us in any game. We did do a good job with Cam in foul trouble on Saturday.

Hopefully, we carry the momentum we have built up in the last two games into this one. They only have one home loss this year (to Norfolk State), so it will clearly be a tough spot. Would be really impressive to have wins at Delaware, Hofstra and their if we can get this one.  

1 minute ago, TSU88 said:

Without getting too Zen here, the team, to the extent it even paid attention to that game today, has to put all that noise/clutter to one side and focus on the things it can control, such as the outcome of Thursday night’s game. Btw, if I’m not mistaken, with UNCW’s W today, Thursday’s game isn’t for 1st place. Even if we win, I’m pretty sure UNCW will still be in 1st place, by virtue of having 1 more conference W. What a W would do for us is bring us even with them (at 3) in the loss column. Realistically, Thursday is an elimination game for us-if we lose, we’re practically eliminated from winning the conference. If we win, we’re still very much in play, but will have 2 road games remaining (C of C & JMU) + JMU at home and the resumed game vs DE, where we’ll be spotting them a 9-point lead, with 18 minutes to play 

Smooth seas never made for a skilled sailor!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

I guess you are correct about most of this. However, I would say being even in the loss column is pretty important at this point. While we have games at Charleston and JMU, they still have to go to Delaware and Drexel as well. Also, don't forget about Hofstra. They are 9-4, but have games at Elon, home against Northeastern, Elon again, William & Mary and Charleston.

If we all end up with four losses, which is feasible, I believe we would have the advantage with series splits existing between everyone except us and Hofstra. There are a lot of different ways this can go, and I am certainly not assuming victory in any of our remaining games. I think it is the same for UNC-W and Hofstra too. That resumed Delaware games is kind of just hanging out there as an ugly reminder that it will take a lot to get that win.

I do agree with the just win and don't worry about anyone else approach. It is all we can do at this point. 

Edited by Tiger93

6 minutes ago, Tiger93 said:

I think we are up for a physical battle against them. Although, they did wear us down in the first meeting. As I expressed in another thread, one of my biggest worries is tight officiating. I think early foul trouble for Cam, CT or Nolan Jr. is dangerous for us in any game. We did do a good job with Cam in foul trouble on Saturday.

Hopefully, we carry the momentum we have built up in the last two games into this one. They only have one home loss this year (to Norfolk State), so it will clearly be a tough spot. Would be really impressive to have wins at Delaware, Hofstra and their if we can get this one.  

They get into foul trouble a good deal as they reach on every possession. They aren’t big, their tallest starter is 6’6 and actually runs point kind of like cam but a better shooter and ball handler. 

7 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Correct game isn’t for first but a loss we are all but eliminated. A win would be in good shape as we have the first tiebreaker best win (2 vs hoftsra). But the pride likely won’t lose again on the regular season 

Right, so to reiterate my earlier post: (1) A W brings us even in the loss column; and (2) A L doesn’t officially eliminate us, but makes the chances of winning the conference rather remote, to put it charitably 

5 minutes ago, Tiger93 said:

I guess you are correct about most of this. However, I would say being even in the loss column is pretty important at this point. While we have games at Charleston and JMU, they still have to go to Delaware and Drexel as well. Also, don't forget about Hofstra. They are 9-4, but have games at Elon, home against Northeastern, Elon again, William & Mary and Charleston.

If we all end up with four losses, which is feasible, I believe we would have the advantage with series splits existing between everyone except us and Hofstra. There are a lot of different ways this can go, and I am certainly not assuming victory in any of our remaining games. I think it is the same for UNC-W and Hofstra too. That resumed Delaware games is kind of just hanging out there as an ugly reminder that it will take a lot to get that win.

I do agree with the just win and don't worry about anyone else approach. It is all we can do at this point. 

3 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

They get into foul trouble a good deal as they reach on every possession. They aren’t big, their tallest starter is 6’6 and actually runs point kind of like cam but a better shooter and ball handler. 

Correct game isn’t for first but a loss we are all but eliminated. A win would be in good shape as we have the first tiebreaker best win (2 vs hoftsra). But the pride likely won’t lose again on the regular season 

Edited by TSU88