• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Towson/Delaware game suspended

Pretty embarrassing. I guess the janitor is to blame for using the wrong cleaning supplies on the floor? What a weird outcome. Played one half and stopped mins into the second? We might have ultimately benefitted by suspending the game while losing. Hope the Delaware players aren't hurt bad and won't think this was a calculated hit

Wow. Was following the scoreboard online and saw something about suspension. Definitely not a good look for us, especially when we were losing. 

Skerry

My apologies that it happened. I told my team that if you stay in this long enough, you'll have seen everything. I did see this before when I was an assistant at Charleston when we played Auburn at the Charleston Coliseuem. Guys were falling on the floor and they pulled the plug. The guy I had worked for at the time said a similar thing happened when he worked at Virginia and Michigan State. The officiating crew grabbed Martin (Ingelsby) and I said that 'guys are falling on both teams and if that happens again, we're probably going to suspend it.' It did happen and I guess the league will try and play the last 18:48 at some point. Obviously, they were playing very well. My apologies. A Delaware assistant (Billy Phillips) asked me before the game about an hour, whether the floor felt sticky to you?' I told him I don't move too fast so I don't get out on the floor. I sent a text message to our operations guy to make sure this is good. Check with the guys. I don't know what else goes into that. It's bizarre. We didn't play well in the first half and that has a lot to do with it. I told the guy at halftime it has a chance to be the best 20 minutes of the season or a learning experience against a good team. Not sure what we learned. 

On whether it has happened before?

No. Timberlake and Nelson seemed to be the most impacted by the (floor). Our guys were running up the stairs at the half and were worried about it. Sometimes you hear stuff as a coach. We had a few griping about it. The officiating crew as a big time crew. It's kind of weird. It's not what we wanted with a great home crowd. The official grabbed us and said this might be the two best teams in the league and we don't want a season-ending injury due to this. I didn't want that either.

On whether they can move the floor from the TC to SECU?

My wife would tell me I don't know how to change a light bulb and that I'm the most useless SOB on the planet.

Condensation?

I was screaming at our bench to get Nick some shoes because he wiped out at least three times in the first half. I didn't know. There were complaints about the floor. I was told by the operations guy that the floor was wiped three times before. I don't know what it's getting wiped with. 

They were falling. I don't know if it was slippery or sticky. I guess we'll benefit that we're not too far apart. We just moved a game today (JMU) because we had a window.

On Terry Nolan

"We're trying to figure it out. Guardedly optimistic. We haven't figured out it yet. He's had three games where he's had respiratory issues and it's not his heart. We're trying to figure it out. It goes into the bizarro world.

On Hicks

"I wish I had more to give. Looked pretty good."

Just kind of strange. One thing I learned over the last year is that once the authorities start talking bout health and safety I don't touch that.

Some of the things you guys come up with. Suspended on purpose? Intentional? Two key players for Delaware were out for the second half. At that point, we had a great chance of coming back so it was to our detriment that they suspended the game.

Now there are other questions concerning game management. How was the freakin' floor not cleared at halftime for somebody to work on that one part where people were consistently slipping, for 15 minutes or long as it took. The halftime contests could have been canceled. Not necessarily blaming the refs, but it should have been more than just we'll stop the game if somebody else slips. Tell the game ops to get it fixed or this game is done. 

I saw Timberlake fall three times and while I had the same thought as Skerry, was it the shoes? It wasn't after other players were slipping.Nick also slipped underneath the basket, but it's quite possible that our entire offense was out of sync because of that awful spot or sticky spot on the floor. How did no players in the layup line realize it? 

18 minutes ago, sr16 said:

so weird and definitely not a good look. Shouldn't happen at a D1 program. 

Agree, but as Skerry said, it's happened to some of his former teams.