• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

2022 Summer Camp Thread

19 hours ago, Blk&goldfan said:

Yep, thought the same thing 🙄

All credibility is lost.  I know it is a bigger program but no one refers to Memphis as Memphis State any more.  It's just lazy, do your job!

• Like 1

Absolutely deplorable, rag tag, unacceptable, lazy journalism! Clearly in it for clicks and engagement be does not truly care. That’s not a real football guy in my opinion! Put some respect on our name!

• Like 1

Inexplicably, the writer's email address at the bottom of the story misspells his name:

To connect with the author of this story, or to comment, email steve.irwin@1819news.com.

I tried to send him a polite correction, but the email bounced back as undeliverable. I checked the top of the story, and his name is Irvine. Strange. Anyway, I re-sent the email to that address; am curious to see if he responds.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TigerFan54 said:

Inexplicably, the writer's email address at the bottom of the story misspells his name:

To connect with the author of this story, or to comment, email steve.irwin@1819news.com.

I tried to send him a polite correction, but the email bounced back as undeliverable. I checked the top of the story, and his name is Irvine. Strange. Anyway, I re-sent the email to that address; am curious to see if he responds.

I tried to email him too, and it also bounced back as undeliverable 😆

Nice reply from Steve Irvine:

Thanks for pointing that out to me. Sorry for my mistake. Not sure how I didn't notice that but it certainly wasn't intentional. Hope things go well for the Tigers this year. 

5 hours ago, TigerFan54 said:

Nice reply from Steve Irvine:

Thanks for pointing that out to me. Sorry for my mistake. Not sure how I didn't notice that but it certainly wasn't intentional. Hope things go well for the Tigers this year. 

Got the same reply. Kudos to him for taking the time to reply to our emails. I wonder if he got any others?🤔

Here is the first scrimmage update. There's not much to say about this scrimmage because the offensive line was a mess. Center Cole Cheripko was being held out another center Ralph Paige (from Merrimack) was injured. So they were basically playing a third-string center. The interior of the line allowed consistent pressure and each QB that played was in constant pressure. So a bunch of guys were also held out that I wanted to see for various reasons. Didn't get to see Sam Reynolds, the 5-8 burner from South Carolina. Wanted to at least see him return kicks. He was dressed but held out.

The line without Cheripko kind of looked like I thought: LT Josh Roberts, LG Alex Desire, C Matthias Adjingbaruk, RG Jluiian Singh, RT Roman Warheit, but there were a lot of moving parts. That might have to play a true freshman like guard Joden Nelson if there are more injuries at guard. RG/T Jean Germain was not there, but he hopefully will return in the early part of the season. I hope to see the line with Cheripko next week because Adjibaruk really struggled with his snaps, which didn't help either. But I do understand being careful in scrimmages with Cherikpo, who is your only definite starter on the offensive line, though I hear he was playing a lot during the week. 

The quarterbacks did the best they could. They played under heavy pressure and they were (predictably) running a lot of RPO-stuff with not just Piggy, but Nathan Kent and Zach Jackson. Piggy did about as well as you could with no time to throw and used his legs to get out of bounds. They don't want him running a lot for obvious reasons. I think he'll be the starter, but Jackson looks like has some future potential as a starter. When your line gives you little time, it makes you get rid of the football quicker. I still like Scott Smith at QB, but on a day like this, you need your dual-threat guys and he's more of an old-school drop-back passer. But man can he sling it. He hit Darrian Street on a nice 25-yard throw in the corner with single coverage.

The running back that caught my eye was Chris Watkins. He's a transfer from a Marist, but just a redshirt freshman and a scatback at 5-10, 185. Gives the team a bit of a punch with two big backs in Folley (5-11, 230) and Bangda (5-10, 230). I think Bangda is the guy, though there's no reason to overuse him in scrimmages like this. You have to hope that those guys along with Devin Matthews (5-9, 210) are healthy before the Bucknell game. 

Defensively it was just too easy with the line issues. I'm not going to give hyperbole about how great the line looked or the linebackers are much-improved. It's too early to tell and still waiting for the Oregon LB M.J. Cunningham to come in to see where he's going to play (should be there next week). 

Next: Comments from RA after the scrimmage.

First Scrimmage
Rob Ambrose
With 50-some new guys, I expected the defense to be ahead of the offense. We held Cole out. We had a freshman at center instead going
up against Vinny (Schaffer), who is an all-league player. But just keep going so we can get the reps and look at film."

On O-line being a work-in-progress
"It has to be. It's a complete re-start. The minute I take one of the permanent pieces out (Cheripko), the only guy I
have left is Alex (Desire)."

The first scrimmage
"Is a building block and evaluation tool. Anybody can go to practice. What happens when you take the coaches off the
field and you have to do it by yourself. A lot of guys learned a lot about themselves."

On QBs
"Up until today, I couldn't have been more pleased. The minute that we got to our third-team center, life went downhill
and we didn't do anything to stop it. You don't run plays. You run people. That's what leaders do. That's what quarterbacks
do. They didn't do it well enough today. It's how you handle it."

On Piggy
"Talented, but learning the system. Just like a bunch of other guys."

On RBs
We have a little bit of everything. It's like a bullpen. We have every pitch you want. Just a matter of which one we
went to use per circumstance. We need as many live periods as we can get with the offensive line to figure out what we're 
good at."

On Bangda
Local kid. Wasn't please with his situation there. Great kid. Talks. He leads. Great addition to the running game. 

On WRs
"Couldn't see from today. In the seven previous practices, DK James, Brady McElhany and Isaiah Perkins those three have
had great camps so far. Looking forward to see them keep going."

On CBs
None of them have been healthy enough to practice all the time. Tucker, Davis, Burgess. Pretty good. Can't wait to
see them on film. 

There's barely a position on this team that isn't a competition except for center. 

On ILBs
Kearney is being Kearney. Amir (Murray) has a great camp. Raymond understands what he's doing now and is having a great
camp. Jamal Gay is having a great camp. We're not that deep, but what they're getting out of them is impressive.

On EDGE
Have 100 of them. They can all play. If we can get you in a third-and-long. Look out. We can put athletes on the field.

On difference between last year and this one
Chemistry. They understand they underperformed last year. Last year's group wasn't excited about being together. 
They are excited about playing together. These guys like hanging out together. These are new kids and they are 
integrating themselves into the program. Not the other way around.

On what is needed out of the offense
Less mistakes. You need all 11 on offense to make a good play. One guys screws it up and it looks bad. Consistency.

On TE
Jackson looked awesome thus far and Schwob was sick. Today Jackson struggled. Didn't know what he was doing. He lined up
wrong a bunch. Couldn't get the signals right.

On what QBs need to do to win the job.
Get the ball down the field and put the ball in the box. More consistently than the rest. Skill set doesn't matte.

On Scott Smith
Whether he's a starter or not, he's going to play here. He's going to fit the mold of the passer back in the day.
He's a God-gifted passer, tough as nails and has a fun-loving personality.

I like that we have a stable of QBs and RBs. Hopefully Rob can mix and match them just right to find the best combo of skills. Also, good to have some depth in case the injury bug infects us again. Could be a strong year for towson football and basketball!