• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

No. 14 Elon beats up on Football 27-10

https://towsontigers.com/news/2022/10/8/towson-football-keeps-close-until-fourth-falls-at-no-14-18-elon.aspx

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=409666

In all honesty, Elon didn't look like a top-20 team today on offense, but you don't have to be great against this Towson team, who puts  up maybe 2-3 drives per game. Tyrrell Pigrome gets hurt (ankle?) and has two weeks off. Nathan Kent was a fourth-string QB for a reason. He can run some but not much else. Scott Smith and Zach Jackson were both home injured. Then there's Isaiah Perkins (M.I.A.?) and Bangda gets 3 carries for no yards today. Huh?

Defense was decent against the run. Allowed just 77 yards, but 312 in the air and they were 12 of 21 on third downs. We rushed three. There were guys open. We blitzed and there were guys open underneath. Guys were open underneath and the QB hits them. When Piggy was in, he looks downfield but often misses the underneath guy. If he's open, just throw it to him. 

First two series, I like the RPO. It was working and then we stopped after they tied it 7-7. Then Piggy gets hurt. What a mess this offense is. Defense is getting slightly better. We had three sacks a couple of QB hurries along with a pick in the end zone on a tipped pass by Shafeek Smith and an INT by Ryan Kearney, who was injured later in the game. Also had a fumble recovery from Dorian Davis on a Jamal Gay hit. Tackling also better in the second half as it was atrocious in the second half.

It's so time for a bye.

44 minutes ago, Blounge said:

Yikes 4 in a row that’s not how you operate a good program! At least basketball will provide some better entertainment soon!

Three years in a row since we didn’t play in 2020 or the spring of 2021. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a program suffer more injuries in fall practice (in season) when we’re barely hitting. Was hoping for some competitive play this season but that’s not happening due to the offense.

Well, what’s there to say? The D was stout against the run and actually got some pass pressure on occasions today. But those incremental improvements are made a nullity by our almost complete inability to get off the field on 3rd and long. To say we’re dismal in 3rd and long is an understatement.

The offense? Well, I think there’s enough of a sample size now to reasonably suggest our ceiling is 1 TD per game. As much as Pigrome has struggled, he’s freaking Josh Allen, when it comes to passing, compared to that poor kid they trotted out there after Pigrome’s injury. In fairness to Kent, he’s 4th string (is he even on scholarship, or a walk-on?). Fortunately, these myriad deficiencies are more than compensated by our brilliant tactician of a head coach, who lulled Elon into a false sense of security by not playing our 2 most skilled players on O, Bangda & Perkins.

While I know there’s zero chance of it happening, with the off week coming up, this would be a great time to take the 1st step in trying to turn the program around and move on from Ambrose. If we’ve got to pay him through the end of the season anyway, it’s dead money. What would be the downside of firing him now? I know we’re not FBS, but coaches do get fired during the season sometimes (see, Colorado and I think Wisconsin).

Well anyway, we’re 4 games into what might eventually be a 9-game losing streak. I guess our playoff aspirations are on thin ice (and before anyone excoriates me about this comment, I’m obviously being sarcastic).

Edited by TSU88
  • Like 1

I love the spin on the news releases -- "Football keeps it close until the 4th quarter..."  We lead the league in moral victories on these releases and not just in football.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Chris Datres said:

I love the spin on the news releases -- "Football keeps it close until the 4th quarter..."  We lead the league in moral victories on these releases and not just in football.

Hahaha. Agreed. The baseball ones are the worst. “Tigers outscore insert team name, late but fall”. Final score is like 9-2 but we scored 2 in the ninth.