• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB overcomes slow start to upend LIU 74-64

6 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

Kim would have fired PS for saying that but imagine if we sold out our student section? Kind of tough comparing us to a Big 10 program that won on ESPN. But we can always dream

One day SECU will be rocking like that! 

So, with Gibson’s injury, I’ve tamped down my expectations for this team. Even if he comes back, who knows how effective he’ll be. Hicks adds nothing on offense, but his D and ability to spell other players did have some utility.

We know what we’re going to get from Cam, and, to a certain extent, CT. I looked at Timberlake’s stats from the last 5 games, and they’re concerning. Shooting 33% overall and 25% from 3, while avg 11 ppg. (Spoiler alert-I’m not criticizing him, so please don’t tell me how some of us are being too critical and expecting perfection). 

I don’t believe this team has that guy who, when the game is on the line, you can just clear out for and he’ll either get you a bucket or at least get fouled and drain the FT’s. When you’re getting in rock fights with the Fairfield & LIU’s of the world, that doesn’t necessarily bode well for when you have to play the better teams in your own conference. Long way to go, and would love nothing better than to be proven wrong and have to eat crow 

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

So, with Gibson’s injury, I’ve tamped down my expectations for this team. Even if he comes back, who knows how effective he’ll be. Hicks adds nothing on offense, but his D and ability to spell other players did have some utility.

We know what we’re going to get from Cam, and, to a certain extent, CT. I looked at Timberlake’s stats from the last 5 games, and they’re concerning. Shooting 33% overall and 25% from 3, while avg 11 ppg. (Spoiler alert-I’m not criticizing him, so please don’t tell me how some of us are being too critical and expecting perfection). 

I don’t believe this team has that guy who, when the game is on the line, you can just clear out for and he’ll either get you a bucket or at least get fouled and drain the FT’s. When you’re getting in rock fights with the Fairfield & LIU’s of the world, that doesn’t necessarily bode well for when you have to play the better teams in your own conference. Long way to go, and would love nothing better than to be proven wrong and have to eat crow 

Those five games coincide with Gibson's back injury. Timberlake's inconsistencies are concerning. It's a valid argument based on numbers, but when your best shooter is questionable for maybe even conference play and he makes a guy like Timberlake better because he's a threat, that's also a legit concern.

The hope is that Conway can fill some of those holes as a shooter because I noticed in the second half Nic started to trust him as he did with Gibby. The ball was finally moving against the zone and Nic will make that extra pass. Look, I think he can be a polarizing player but I respect his ability to do more than shoot. I doubt he's reading our critiques and he's probably his own worst critic. Probably too late to change that but you need a short memory if you a scorer. Keep your head up and not down. He can do other things to get him going aside from shooting and he's definitely become a more willing passer.

I share everyone else's concerns on here, and I'll add one more: Given the number of minutes Cam is playing, it seems likely he'll get hurt at some point. It's just the law of averages. Maybe it's a minor, nagging injury or maybe it's something more serious, but either way, it would affect us in a significant way. As 2012 mentioned, I'm flashing back to our 10-1 start (and Belfast tournament title) five or six years ago, which prompted TL's boneheaded extension to PS. I hope I'm wrong, but a prolonged stumble wouldn't surprise me, starting with Clemson next week.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TigerFan54 said:

I share everyone else's concerns on here, and I'll add one more: Given the number of minutes Cam is playing, it seems likely he'll get hurt at some point. It's just the law of averages. Maybe it's a minor, nagging injury or maybe it's something more serious, but either way, it would affect us in a significant way. As 2012 mentioned, I'm flashing back to our 10-1 start (and Belfast tournament title) five or six years ago, which prompted TL's boneheaded extension to PS. I hope I'm wrong, but a prolonged stumble wouldn't surprise me, starting with Clemson next week.

I’ve tried to erase that from my memory bank. We all hope history won’t repeat itself, but the concern is understandable 

30 minutes ago, TigerFan54 said:

Estrada averages 37.3 minutes per game.

Listen to us all… the team is 8-1 to start with the highest expectations they’ve had in decades+.  
With so many transfers across the mid major landscape only time will tell if some these teams we’ve played are legit or not. 

We don’t give Cam enough credit…  dude played with a broken face last season!!  He may have to play 40 minutes a game and I’ll sure he’d embrace it.  

Enjoy the ride!  

6 hours ago, TSU88 said:

The last paragraph is why we struggle to get over that hump. We don’t have that guard nor have we ever under skerry.  Relying on defense to win games is fine when you’re playing bad teams like we have. But when Charleston goes 10 deep on you and can shoot, and Estrada and Thomas are coming at you.  Or Davis Nelson owens, they will put the ball in the bucket. 

5 hours ago, Blounge said:

Steve aoki and fetty wap have performed there!

I’m sure those weren’t rocking 

2 hours ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

Listen to us all… the team is 8-1 to start with the highest expectations they’ve had in decades+.  
With so many transfers across the mid major landscape only time will tell if some these teams we’ve played are legit or not. 

We don’t give Cam enough credit…  dude played with a broken face last season!!  He may have to play 40 minutes a game and I’ll sure he’d embrace it.  

Enjoy the ride!  

I don’t think anyone is discrediting cam. He’s the mvp of the caa and we would be awful without him. What he does a skinny 6’5 wing, basically playing point guard who isn’t a great shooter is remarkable. Playing hurt should also be commended.  But as 88 said, we don’t have that go to guy at the end of the game. 

also sans umass we have played some bad teams. 8-10 games you can atleast see that. Probably one of the weaker 2-3 schedules In the league so far (sans the non d1s)

• Like 1