• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Delaware handles MBB 72-59

https://towsontigers.com/news/2023/1/11/mens-basketball-towson-mens-basketball-falls-at-delaware-72-59-on-wednesday-night.aspx

With Jameer Nelson Jr. (knee soreness) out for Delaware and Cam Holden missing his third straight game for Towson, this game had a chance to be a close one but instead, the Blue Hens controlled the game from the tip, jumping to a 7-0 lead and the tanking a 39-26 halftime lead, before winning by 13. The 39 points that Delaware scored was their most of the season and they just had their way with the Tigers, especially in the post.

Towson played much better in the second half, but at around the 10-minute mark, after cutting the lead to four, Nicolas Timberlake took a questionable 15-footer in transition and then was called for a "hook and hold" on Eby Asamoah, who proceeded to make both free throws. The Blue Hens built the lead to eight on the same position since they got the ball back after the two free throws. Towson never really recovered despite getting some strong performances off the bench from freshman Christian May, who had 11 points. Timberlake led with 13 points, while Charles Thompson added eight with eight rebounds, but was just 3-of-10 from the floor. He also had three turnovers as the Blue Hens double-teamed him nearly every time he touched the ball. Towson committed 13 turnovers and dished out 12 assists. They shot 35% from the field and 33.3% from beyond the arc  (7 of 21).

PS after the game on TSN

"We're supposed to play hard. We were just so bad in the first half. Our defense up front, we got taken to the woodshed. Charles and Nic have to play like All-league performers. May played well. Coleman was solid."

"We got carved up on post defense in the first half. I would imagine our shooting percentage in the two-point area...we missed a ton. 13 for 36. A team that doesn't really have shotblockers. A lot of work to do. Playing a good team on the road. Hopefully getting a guy or two back. Thinking of making some changes. May and Coleman earned more minutes

"We should have good habits. That allows you to follow your training. We had bad plays in the open court. Don't follow our training. Can't play like that. Got it four and bad possessions. Carless finishes. Off the wrong foot. Not going to allow us to get where we hope to get. Guys are practicing hard. Jason Gibson just told them in the locker room. It's hard to win. I'm very frustrated especially with the four seniors. We weren't able to execute for longer stretches. "

To be fair the second half was a failure as well. This ship is sunk. We will be lucky to finish inside the top 6-7.  What a failure of a season. Will be lucky to get to 500. And pat, we aren’t getting others “back”

May the only bright spot. Charles and 25 MIA. Another boneheaded play by d2-25. Hens either got wide open layups or uncontested threes. 3 hens went well over the season averages.  If we keep teams under 64 we have a punchers shot. Problems is most teams score well over that. 

11 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

It's hard to win

I think this sums it up. Maybe it would be more accurate if he said “it’s hard to beat average, good or very good teams, but at least we can pad our record to make it look respectable by beating the Stony Brooks of the world.”

Nah, that’s too long of a sound bite 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

I think this sums it up. Maybe it would be more accurate if he said “it’s hard to beat average, good or very good teams, but at least we can pad our record to make it look respectable by beating the Stony Brooks of the world.”

That was taken out of context about what Gibson said in the locker room. I'm doing my best to transcribe those quotes as fast as I can and I probably wasn't 100% accurate on that one.

The first half was an abomination of missed layups and shots around the basket, late contests and poor post D. The second half was much better until some selfishness started creeping in from the most of the seniors when it got down to four.

12 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

The pat skerry story. We hardly win against above average teams. This team and program is going NOWHERE. 

7 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Charles and 25 MIA. Another boneheaded play by d2-25. Hens either got wide open layups or uncontested threes. 3 hens went well over the season averages.  If we keep teams under 64 we have a punchers shot. Problems is most teams score well over that. 

NT is not a d2 player. Instead he’s a guy who’s been playing D1 for what, 5-6 years now, who is maddeningly inconsistent. You never know if he’s going to give you 20+ points or a clunker. Simply not a recipe for sustained success. As for CT, so far this season he’s simply not as good as he was last season. That’s not a low blow, it’s just a fact. As for getting guys back, Holden has now been out for 3 games. Whatever his infraction was, if it was egregious enough to miss 3 games so far, just say he’s gone or bring him back, but stop dangling these statements about “might be getting 1 or 2 guys back soon.”  Sorry, but I’m just tired of Skerry, but I know he’s not going anywhere. I’ve seen this movie for so many years & it always ends the same way. 

• Like 2