• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

CAA Announces Comprehensive Media Rights Agreement With CBS Sports and FloSports

We get the point, the conference sucks whether it's 19 or 26, we all knew it would take a step down when Monmouth, Stony Brook, NC A&T and Hampton joined. Monmouth will be fine as this was a one-off, but yes, the conference is down and Flo Sports is where we're at right now. Unfortunately, we deserve it. It's not my choice, but after talking to Eigenbrot back in August, I'm not surprised at the decision. It's more economical and it likely came down to ESPN3 or +, where you have to pay for a subscription per month and Flo. The main positive of Flo Sports is that you can go on CBS Sports for 3-4 times a year and get the semifinal on there. On ESPN3, you can't get any of that other than the finals on ESPN or ESPN2. You can't have CBS Sports. So we are still likely going to get 3-4 CBS Sports games per year, about 6 on NBC Sports Washington, maybe a couple of non-conference games on some a Big 10 or ACC Network. 

As for leaving the CAA, I think a new AD and a new president may be fine with the status quo, but that's usually not the case. Especially when we seem to follow Delaware, Drexel and Hofstra around like we're the younger sibling. Now, I would assume Delaware due to football.

2 hours ago, TuTigers2012 said:

23rd sagarin 

26th kenpom

95EE69A2-248F-4669-ABA1-50410BBE74FE.jpeg

It is really a bad year this year (mostly being dragged down by Elon and the new teams), but to be fair the conference was ranked 14th in the NET rankings last year and 16th the year before. https://www.warrennolan.com/basketball/2021/net-conference

I think Monmouth will be solid in a year or so (and is actually playing well now to close things out), Stony Brook has been good in the past and has a decent shot to be solid in the next year or so, and NC A&T from the looks of it might have a better atmosphere than almost any team in the conference. I don't think it is great by any means, and certainly not as good as it was in its heyday, but I do think somewhere in that 19-20 range is probably more of a normal range where it will settle. 

Edited by Tiger93

7 hours ago, Tiger93 said:

NC A&T from the looks of it might have a better atmosphere than almost any team in the conference. 

The NC A&T game against us looked like a sellout. UNCW sold out Trask against Charleston and I would argue has the best atmosphere in the CAA. And CofC has had a few sellout games being nationally ranked. This league has fans, just needs to accommodate them better. I wonder if Charleston will have another selllout when the towson tigers come to town? If only we could bribe 5,000 students with DP Dough calzones to finally sellout SECU which we spent an arm and a leg on.

I’m optimistic Dr. E will be the best AD we have had in a long time. Hoping he can find creative solutions for us. 

9 hours ago, Tiger93 said:

It is really a bad year this year (mostly being dragged down by Elon and the new teams), but to be fair the conference was ranked 14th in the NET rankings last year and 16th the year before. https://www.warrennolan.com/basketball/2021/net-conference

I think Monmouth will be solid in a year or so (and is actually playing well now to close things out), Stony Brook has been good in the past and has a decent shot to be solid in the next year or so, and NC A&T from the looks of it might have a better atmosphere than almost any team in the conference. I don't think it is great by any means, and certainly not as good as it was in its heyday, but I do think somewhere in that 19-20 range is probably more of a normal range where it will settle. 

Agree and that’s to be expected with so many new teams. But the trajectory has been down for years.  If Charleston didn’t dominate good teams early on, we’d look worse.  

Monmouth and stony are solid adds for hoops and lacrosse. 

1 hour ago, Blounge said:

The NC A&T game against us looked like a sellout. UNCW sold out Trask against Charleston and I would argue has the best atmosphere in the CAA. And CofC has had a few sellout games being nationally ranked. This league has fans, just needs to accommodate them better. I wonder if Charleston will have another selllout when the towson tigers come to town? If only we could bribe 5,000 students with DP Dough calzones to finally sellout SECU which we spent an arm and a leg on.

I’m optimistic Dr. E will be the best AD we have had in a long time. Hoping he can find creative solutions for us. 

They sold out every game for the remainder of the season as a of a few weeks ago.

Towson students don’t care about sports no matter what

I'm sorry, I just don't get it.  Everyone who tries to explain the CBS/Flo deal uses the excuse "Well that is the only way we can get on national tv 3 to 4 times."  I'd forfeit those "3 to 4 games" on CBS Sports Network to be able for me to see the OTHER 20 TO 25 GAMES on ESPN+.  Trust me I have seen some ESPN+ broadcast that are flosports level of production, but I have said it before and I will say it again: even though espn+ does not provide the team I prefer to follow it gives countless number of other viewing options to make the money that I spend on it worth it.  A question for those who have flosports.  How many times when Towson is not playing do you turn it on to see what else they are showing?  My guess the % of that happening is higher with those with ESPN+ than with flo which means that no one is exactly tripping into a CAA game.  If you want to grow your organization, program, conference what have you, you have to go where the people are.  People are not coming to you with the product the CAA puts out.  While most conferences are shopping on Amazon the CAA continues to send checks for $19.95 plus $5.00 for shipping and handling to some PO Box in Pueblo, Colorado and expects 6 to 8 weeks for delivery.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Blazer49 said:

I'm sorry, I just don't get it.  Everyone who tries to explain the CBS/Flo deal uses the excuse "Well that is the only way we can get on national tv 3 to 4 times."  I'd forfeit those "3 to 4 games" on CBS Sports Network to be able for me to see the OTHER 20 TO 25 GAMES on ESPN+.  Trust me I have seen some ESPN+ broadcast that are flosports level of production, but I have said it before and I will say it again: even though espn+ does not provide the team I prefer to follow it gives countless number of other viewing options to make the money that I spend on it worth it.  A question for those who have flosports.  How many times when Towson is not playing do you turn it on to see what else they are showing?  My guess the % of that happening is higher with those with ESPN+ than with flo which means that no one is exactly tripping into a CAA game.  If you want to grow your organization, program, conference what have you, you have to go where the people are.  People are not coming to you with the product the CAA puts out.  While most conferences are shopping on Amazon the CAA continues to send checks for $19.95 plus $5.00 for shipping and handling to some PO Box in Pueblo, Colorado and expects 6 to 8 weeks for delivery.

Do you want to be the caa commissioner??!

I’ll answer your question, as I do subscribe to flo for the first round conf game through tournament. I get two months out of it for 12.50/ month. (People bitch about the price but it’s not really that bad) then I cancel until next year. I go to pretty much all the home so it’s not too bad for 2 months worth of road games. I have watched maybe 10 other events/ games on it over the years. With all being caa games of interest (uncw/c of c round 1) and some women’s games. 

The real issue is that we are paying for a service that used to be free through the schools. The broadcasts and productions are mediocre at best.  Some programs have improved slightly but ours hasn’t. It looks like and sounds like a high school broadcast. With Covid I had to watch the Hampton game the other night and feel like ours is on par/slightly below others. We need better announcers but that will never unfortunately happen. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Do you want to be the caa commissioner??!

I’ll answer your question, as I do subscribe to flo for the first round conf game through tournament. I get two months out of it for 12.50/ month. (People bitch about the price but it’s not really that bad) then I cancel until next year. I go to pretty much all the home so it’s not too bad for 2 months worth of road games. I have watched maybe 10 other events/ games on it over the years. With all being caa games of interest (uncw/c of c round 1) and some women’s games. 

The real issue is that we are paying for a service that used to be free through the schools. The broadcasts and productions are mediocre at best.  Some programs have improved slightly but ours hasn’t. It looks like and sounds like a high school broadcast. With Covid I had to watch the Hampton game the other night and feel like ours is on par/slightly below others. We need better announcers but that will never unfortunately happen. 

Atleast provide someone a bit more neutral next to Spiro who can better analyze what's happening rather than fan speak the whole game.