• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

2023-24 Transfer Thread

7 hours ago, mat1992 said:

Ian Martinez was never in play. Has nothing to do with NIL since he’s from Costa Rica.

Agreed. I think we all knew that, but I was always hoping somehow we would magically end up the mix. Still, I think all of us on here knew that wasn't really a possibility. 

10 minutes ago, Tiger93 said:

Agreed. I think we all knew that, but I was always hoping somehow we would magically end up the mix. Still, I think all of us on here knew that wasn't really a possibility. 

I think he could have been a game-changer on both ends of the floor. The best thing might be going after foreign players, jucos and D2, where NIL is basically irrelevant. However, our collective situation will be much better next year. Also, a reason why recruiting 2024 and beyond is so incredibly important. NIL won't be as much of a hindrance though it's still part of the picture, especially if you want to keep guys more than a year or two.

3 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

I think he could have been a game-changer on both ends of the floor. The best thing might be going after foreign players, jucos and D2, where NIL is basically irrelevant. However, our collective situation will be much better next year. Also, a reason why recruiting 2024 and beyond is so incredibly important. NIL won't be as much of a hindrance though it's still part of the picture, especially if you want to keep guys more than a year or two.

You know, when we speak of NIL, it’s really like peeling an onion. There’s NIL for incoming freshmen; NIL to keep existing players and NIL to woo portal guys. That’s a lot of balls to keep juggling at one time. I hope we can pull it off. 

7 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

You know, when we speak of NIL, it’s really like peeling an onion. There’s NIL for incoming freshmen; NIL to keep existing players and NIL to woo portal guys. That’s a lot of balls to keep juggling at one time. I hope we can pull it off. 

There are 200-250 schools in the same situation. If we were in the A-10, we get buried alive. In the CAA, at least there's a chance that if you can just find one or two players who can carry you or get hot in the tournament. Maybe it's Cole and/or Williamson. It's getting tougher to figure this crap out and remain a fan of college basketball. I believe in the players and this program. Love the sport. But I'm not sure where this game will be in five years. Will there be a salary cap?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

My son was in a NIL zoom class last week for football run by Brock Bowers mother.. she did an excellent job and advised that a ton of changes are coming very soon. 

12 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

Will there be a salary cap?

That’s both a fascinating and sad concept, as it relates to college sports 

11 hours ago, TSU88 said:

That’s both a fascinating and sad concept, as it relates to college sports 

There will just be ways around it for the larger schools. Like there was before. It’s like a dog chasing it’s tail..

• Like 2

On 6/20/2023 at 9:37 PM, mat1992 said:

There are 200-250 schools in the same situation. If we were in the A-10, we get buried alive. In the CAA, at least there's a chance that if you can just find one or two players who can carry you or get hot in the tournament. Maybe it's Cole and/or Williamson. It's getting tougher to figure this crap out and remain a fan of college basketball. I believe in the players and this program. Love the sport. But I'm not sure where this game will be in five years. Will there be a salary cap?

(WARNING: I'm about to beat a dead horse)

While I don't disagree with the premise that a couple of key new players can carry a program and get hot in the tournament, you cannot lose sight of the fact that our coach remains the same.  So while it's fun to keep tabs on the comings & goings of players from program to program and it's theoretically a reason for optimism, it's all for naught if the coach consistently comes up short regardless of the roster talent.

If you have a chance to chat with Coach Skerry this summer can you please ask him, in all sincerity and with the greatest degree of respect, what he and his staff do in the off season to get better at their craft?  Do they attend coaching clinics?  Does he spend time visiting other coaches/programs to compare notes, study film, discuss philosophies?  What is he doing to evolve as a head coach?  

You can give him Kentucky's starting 5 but if he doesn't know how to use them or put them in the best position to win, at critical moments in a game, they won't realize their ultimate potential.

Go Tigers!

• Like 3