• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

2023-24 Transfer Thread

On 6/20/2023 at 9:49 PM, TSU88 said:

That’s both a fascinating and sad concept, as it relates to college sports 

Not sure we can call it "college "sports anymore. With the changes that have been made, with no guardrails, let us call it what it is........The Power Five are AAA basketball. The next five are AA basketball and the CAA along with many others are Rookie League. These kids have almost zero to do with the university. Just another shirt they wear and who signs the check. College sports has lost the true meaning of what it should be. 

I know I sound like the guy that says get the kids off my lawn, but what I am actually is wishing these kids got more out of their college days than some donor writing them a check and not worrying about the future of the VAST MAJORITY who will never play pro ball.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Tgr4life said:

Not sure we can call it "college "sports anymore. With the changes that have been made, with no guardrails, let us call it what it is........The Power Five are AAA basketball. The next five are AA basketball and the CAA along with many others are Rookie League. These kids have almost zero to do with the university. Just another shirt they wear and who signs the check. College sports has lost the true meaning of what it should be. 

I know I sound like the guy that says get the kids off my lawn, but what I am actually is wishing these kids got more out of their college days than some donor writing them a check and not worrying about the future of the VAST MAJORITY who will never play pro ball.

Even though some get NIL, I still think most kids at this level understand that they are here to get a free education and a college degree. I can’t speak for every school, but at Towson, the emphasis is on graduating and that goes back to the APR days. So in some way, even if there almost no pros at this level, the term student-athletes still apply.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AtlantaTiger said:

(WARNING: I'm about to beat a dead horse)

While I don't disagree with the premise that a couple of key new players can carry a program and get hot in the tournament, you cannot lose sight of the fact that our coach remains the same.  So while it's fun to keep tabs on the comings & goings of players from program to program and it's theoretically a reason for optimism, it's all for naught if the coach consistently comes up short regardless of the roster talent.

If you have a chance to chat with Coach Skerry this summer can you please ask him, in all sincerity and with the greatest degree of respect, what he and his staff do in the off season to get better at their craft?  Do they attend coaching clinics?  Does he spend time visiting other coaches/programs to compare notes, study film, discuss philosophies?  What is he doing to evolve as a head coach?  

You can give him Kentucky's starting 5 but if he doesn't know how to use them or put them in the best position to win, at critical moments in a game, they won't realize their ultimate potential.

Go Tigers!

Great points. Let’s be honest, it doesn’t matter who comes in the secu arena doors, we aren’t winning the three games in a row that matter most, until at-least 2027 or whenever the contract is up. 
But better players lead to a more interesting season where 20 wins is better than 12 (Jesus the old status quo TSU tigers who are just happy to have a team, are wearing off on me)

We typically have 2 good years (20-12) and then a stinker (10-22). Hopefully we can avoid the later this year 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mat1992 said:

I’d like to unpin this thread shortly 

Not more announcement day drama, I hope. Would be curious to know why he de-committed from Seton Hall. No sooner did he de-commit that he started following the head coach of Mississippi State on Twitter, who also started following him back. Draw your own conclusions 

• Like 1

Seems like Watson kind of wants to come just like last time. He’s liking quotes on Twitter that Skerry puts out. That really didn’t matter last time at least until Seton Hall showed up. It’s a little more complicated this time because we moved on, but moving on hasn’t officially brought us a player. There’s someone in the pipeline so to speak, but to nobody’s surprise this summer, there are complications.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

He had his chance. Move on. Next up. We will be stuck with some lower major player. 

I’m not sure it’s quite that simple. I’m highly skeptical he’s going to come here, after what happened last time with him. I suspect he’s better than most, if not all, other players still available. I’d tell him he’s welcome here, but he needs to give us a decision by the end of the week. He’s already visited here, and knows what we can offer. If he really wants to come here, it shouldn’t require a great deal of thought on his part. Now, if he says he’s going on another tour of other schools, then it’s time to face facts and look elsewhere. As I mentioned earlier, I’m not interested in being dangled on a string as part of another one of his insufferable, ego stroking “announcement days.” My prediction-he winds up elsewhere. At that point, just cut our losses & grab the best d2 or JUCO still available, and hope that next spring we have something more than monopoly or confederate money to spend in the portal. 

1 hour ago, TSU88 said:

I’m not sure it’s quite that simple. I’m highly skeptical he’s going to come here, after what happened last time with him. I suspect he’s better than most, if not all, other players still available. I’d tell him he’s welcome here, but he needs to give us a decision by the end of the week. He’s already visited here, and knows what we can offer. If he really wants to come here, it shouldn’t require a great deal of thought on his part. Now, if he says he’s going on another tour of other schools, then it’s time to face facts and look elsewhere. As I mentioned earlier, I’m not interested in being dangled on a string as part of another one of his insufferable, ego stroking “announcement days.” My prediction-he winds up elsewhere. At that point, just cut our losses & grab the best d2 or JUCO still available, and hope that next spring we have something more than monopoly or confederate money to spend in the portal. 

It is like speed dating now with recruiting!  What a headache for coaches. 

I suspect based on this continued charade that this is a ‘me-first’ player.  Those can become other schools’ problems.  If I’m wrong, so be it.  But it seems like this one is interested in attention. 

• Like 2