• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

2023 General Football News

10 hours ago, Blounge said:

They should have encouraged it! This was the only time as (Brad pointed out) that people were excited to get out to Unitas EVER

towson should have doubled down on athletics around 2013 when T-west and Bennimon were giving us the best years of our lives.

the new union and campus improvements are beautiful, enrollment is up to the highest level ever, Wall Street Journal voted us the #1 university in Maryland, but somehow we can’t get any folks to care about the football game 

No they shouldn’t have.

This is a very front running area when it comes to sports and a pro one at that. Football (high school and college) is meh in Maryland. Fcs football doesn’t move the needle for some folks. 

Towson really has two demographics the degenerate students and the old geysers in the surrounding area. They should accommodate both.

A $25 all you can drink ticket PLL style for the students to vibe on the track 

As for the old folks, they should put a special promotion at the locally famous landmark, The Peppermill Restaurant. Combo deal get brunch and a ticket to the game. 

1 hour ago, mat1992 said:

Well it does say "this weekend" and with the Twerps finally venturing out of the state this weekend...

As for the tailgating video posted earlier, great atmosphere but if only 50-75% of those there went into the stadium for the game then it is not tailgating but just a place to gather and have a party.  If that is the case then yes I can see why admin made changes.  I'm showing my age here but "back in my day" when I attended there was no tailgating and from the looks and sounds of it when it was brought back they gave the naysayers plenty of opportunity to shake their heads and say see "told ya".  

Tailgating is not the end all be all for why more students do not attend games, yes it helps, but consistent winning needs to be a part of it too.  It would help if they could somehow find more "idiots" like myself and maybe some on this board that are sports enthusiast that come out and support their school in person no matter how they are doing and come out to Minnegan/The U even if it meant missing whatever ranked vs, ranked game was on TV.  This was pre smartphone days too so I sacrificed many Florida St. v Miami type battles to partake in Towson v Northeastern, Liberty, Buffalo (pre their moves to I-A), Central Connecticut to name a few type duels.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Blazer49 said:

Well it does say "this weekend" and with the Twerps finally venturing out of the state this weekend...

As for the tailgating video posted earlier, great atmosphere but if only 50-75% of those there went into the stadium for the game then it is not tailgating but just a place to gather and have a party.  If that is the case then yes I can see why admin made changes.  I'm showing my age here but "back in my day" when I attended there was no tailgating and from the looks and sounds of it when it was brought back they gave the naysayers plenty of opportunity to shake their heads and say see "told ya".  

Tailgating is not the end all be all for why more students do not attend games, yes it helps, but consistent winning needs to be a part of it too.  It would help if they could somehow find more "idiots" like myself and maybe some on this board that are sports enthusiast that come out and support their school in person no matter how they are doing and come out to Minnegan/The U even if it meant missing whatever ranked vs, ranked game was on TV.  This was pre smartphone days too so I sacrificed many Florida St. v Miami type battles to partake in Towson v Northeastern, Liberty, Buffalo (pre their moves to I-A), Central Connecticut to name a few type duels.  

Actually, the ‘11-‘13 campaigns saw 5k in student attendance.  Sure, they may have left at halftime, but it was a great atmosphere. Tailgating means everything to college football and the general student population.  Winning is  not as big a factor as you may believe. Nobody cares about Towson vs Norfolk or Bryant or Monmouth.  The average student would have some interest in a game against ‘Nova, JMU, Richmond, W&M, ODU and Delaware.  The current CAA not a sustainable model.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, RundaPower said:

Actually, the ‘11-‘13 campaigns saw 5k in student attendance.  Sure, they may have left at halftime, but it was a great atmosphere. Tailgating means everything to college football and the general student population.  Winning is  not as big a factor as you may believe. Nobody cares about Towson vs Norfolk or Bryant or Monmouth.  The average student would have some interest in a game against ‘Nova, JMU, Richmond, W&M, ODU and Delaware.  The current CAA not a sustainable model.

Agreed the student body is like 25% girls from NY/NJ. You think they care we are playing Norfolk State? They are there for the party and to be fair lots of the guys are at the tailgate party to fraternize with the beautiful women, not cause it’s an intriguing matchup of fcs football. 

They gotta accommodate the people that want to party. Let them eat cake. And by cake i mean natty light in the parking lot next to a DJ 

10 hours ago, Blounge said:

Agreed the student body is like 25% girls from NY/NJ. You think they care we are playing Norfolk State? They are there for the party and to be fair lots of the guys are at the tailgate party to fraternize with the beautiful women, not cause it’s an intriguing matchup of fcs football. 

They gotta accommodate the people that want to party. Let them eat cake. And by cake i mean natty light in the parking lot next to a DJ 

But an academic institution isn’t going to through a party disguised as a football game.. there’s a line and balance, unfortunately we won’t and have found it

On 9/19/2023 at 8:32 PM, TuTigers2012 said:

Well that was on the students being dumb. More leave before the game starts anyway.

another crowd of 3,000 or less upcoming this weekend  

You think 3,000 people are gonna stand in a tropical storm to watch us run the football 40 times?

it’s a 5 hour drive from Norfolk State

26 minutes ago, Blounge said:

You think 3,000 people are gonna stand in a tropical storm to watch us run the football 40 times?

it’s a 5 hour drive from Norfolk State

Let’s face it, given the weather today, there’s probably only going to be a few hundred people at the game. Few, if any, students are going to go, and realistically can you blame them? Only the heartiest of fans and/or relatives of the players will be willing to subject themselves to this kind of weather