• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

General MBB 2023-24 thread

45 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Again, it’s “close” to a lot of teams but not close enough to draw a crowd when only 3 fan bases draw more than flies. Expensive hotels don’t help either.

This got me to thinking, so I checked the internet machine and found that the middle point between Boston (location of the northernmost school-NE) and Charleston (location of the southernmost school) is Fredericksburg VA. I can’t think of a venue in Virginia that it would make sense to host the tournament, seeing as JMU is gone and there’s no team in Richmond. So, I guess by default DC is the best place.  It’s frustrating that despite all the years in the Skerry era that we’ve had the tournament in Baltimore and DC that we’ve failed to capitalize on this fact. It would be interesting to see if we would be able to have a partisan crowd if we ever actually make it to a championship game, but I’m not sure that would be the case, as I suspect a lot of people would simply opt to watch the game on tv. 

24 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

Watson & Thompson… could this finally be the season!!?? 🕺

On paper, Watson, Thompson, May and Jones appears to be a nice core. But we’re going to need our PG(s) (Hicks &/or Williamson) to step up, and get contributions from guys off the bench, to even be in the conference title conversation. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

On paper, Watson, Thompson, May and Jones appears to be a nice core. But we’re going to need our PG(s) (Hicks &/or Williamson) to step up, and get contributions from guys off the bench, to even be in the conference title conversation. 

Agree. But there’s the pesky issue of who is manning the sideline at the ESA Arena the first week of March. 
I think this team will be decent if Watson buys in and plays well. The defense is going to be good. At least on paper. May and Jones are better on that end than Holden and Nick. Can that d2 kid play defense like Russell?  Hicks defense didn’t seem as great last year (injuries) but I can see us in a lot of rock fights 

1 minute ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Agree. But there’s the pesky issue of who is manning the sideline at the ESA Arena the first week of March. 
I think this team will be decent if Watson buys in and plays well. The defense is going to be good. At least on paper. May and Jones are better on that end than Holden and Nick. Can that d2 kid play defense like Russell?  Hicks defense didn’t seem as great last year (injuries) but I can see us in a lot of rock fights 

I don’t want to put too much on his shoulders, but I feel a lot better about the upcoming season with Watson onboard. My hope is he’ll be motivated to have a strong season, to position himself for a contract overseas. We really need May to take that Freshman to Sophomore year leap. I think he’s already better defensively than Timberlake and if he can score in the low teens…. Jones & Thompson is a nice 1-2 punch inside & hopefully we can get some decent minutes out of Paar, Tejada and the D2 kid. The guys I’m most intrigued by, besides Watson, are Williamson and Cole. I’d like to think they can add an element of athleticism that has sometimes been lacking in the past. 

• Like 1

We have some interesting pieces for sure. Time will tell if these guys are the real deal or a bunch of transfer portal duds. Could be an exciting year. Wonder if these guys can hang with the CofC. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

I don’t want to put too much on his shoulders, but I feel a lot better about the upcoming season with Watson onboard. My hope is he’ll be motivated to have a strong season, to position himself for a contract overseas. We really need May to take that Freshman to Sophomore year leap. I think he’s already better defensively than Timberlake and if he can score in the low teens…. Jones & Thompson is a nice 1-2 punch inside & hopefully we can get some decent minutes out of Paar, Tejada and the D2 kid. The guys I’m most intrigued by, besides Watson, are Williamson and Cole. I’d like to think they can add an element of athleticism that has sometimes been lacking in the past. 

Spare parts. Williamson and Cole are gonna play very little until mid/late January 

25 minutes ago, Blounge said:

We have some interesting pieces for sure. Time will tell if these guys are the real deal or a bunch of transfer portal duds. Could be an exciting year. Wonder if these guys can hang with the CofC. 

I think it’s somewhere in between. 
The transfers should replace Russell Sylla and holdens scoring. Paar should give us more than beiku.  Can may, Williamson and hicks combine to score 12-15?  Do we finally get an impact freshman?

• Like 2