• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

General MBB 2023-24 thread

So nice to see Paar on the floor.  He can really help us this season off the bench. 
Um Lowery looks a lot bigger than 6’6” to me. He’s gonna cause some trouble for teams in the open floor..  let that kid run and be athletic.  
If we stay healthy and this teams molds we could really surprise some teams in conference. 
So glad May is with us…  no way I see him going through a Sophomore slump.. he’s my pick to really take his game to the next level. 

49 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

So nice to see Paar on the floor.  He can really help us this season off the bench. 
Um Lowery looks a lot bigger than 6’6” to me. He’s gonna cause some trouble for teams in the open floor..  let that kid run and be athletic.  
If we stay healthy and this teams molds we could really surprise some teams in conference. 
So glad May is with us…  no way I see him going through a Sophomore slump.. he’s my pick to really take his game to the next level. 

Agreed on Paar. He is solid inside depth that I think can be serviceable for us off the bench. In this day and age of kids transferring left and right, it is great that despite his injuries he has stuck with it and will have a chance to be part of this program on the floor again this year. This seems like it could be a very physical and athletic team. To beat a dead horse my main worry is where the shooting comes from. If we can answer that question, my expectations will go up quickly for this team. 

• Like 1

Above video shows Tiger highlights against Toronto Metropolitan University Rams. 

https://tmubold.ca/sports/mens-basketball/roster

Uncertain how they'd stack up vs average NCAA Div I teams, but I'll guess they're about like a good Div II team. Last season, they were 15-9 in their Canadian schedule. So from an 80-67 win at this juncture, I'd venture that we're about on track for a partially rebuilt team. Agreed - May does look like he may have a breakout season. Some nifty passing by TU in the video. 

6 hours ago, Tiger93 said:

Agreed on Paar. He is solid inside depth that I think can be serviceable for us off the bench. In this day and age of kids transferring left and right, it is great that despite his injuries he has stuck with it and will have a chance to be part of this program on the floor again this year. This seems like it could be a very physical and athletic team. 

He looks much leaner and should be able to move more swiftly than two years ago. I think he got used to being the biggest on the floor and could bully defenders with a power dribble into contact then lay it in. But at the D1 level you can’t post everybody up in this league as a chubby white boy. He should be able to score more this year and facilitate with good passing and pulling down rebounds. Cole parr looks better physically too

Watching those highlights and some others, I think you have to consider the competition. But there were a few things that stood out.

1)C. May. He's not just standing around the 3-point line. He's attacking. He has the size to take the contact. He will need to at least double his production from last season.

2)Lowery. He just stands out. He looks 6-7 or 6-8. Almost like Tunstall. But even more athletic with guard skills. Just an intriguing player that they need to play some this season. He's almost Cam Tunstall with his length and ability to pass the ball. 

3)Tejada. Just a big wing right now and should develop into a stretch 4 when he gets bigger. He might be the second or third-best shooter on the team. I don't care if he played the best of the YMCA, but making 3 of 3 from long range is a positive (in one of the games). He does a lot of nice things offensively. If he can pick it up on other end, he might get some key minutes especially as a zone buster.

4)M. Jones. He played sporadically because there was no need to play him all five games after he injured his Achilles' two seasons ago. He doesn't have a pretty game and is definitely more old-school when it comes to a power forward or backup center.

5)Williamson. Didn't see enough of him and I would assume consistency is an issue. But he can shoot it from deep and has the ability to attack the rack. It's about limiting the turnovers and cleaning up some of the defensive mistakes.

6)CT. A turnaround jumper? Even if he can just make short jumpers, it will open things up for him. And of course, please make FTs.

7)Sulaiman. A rugged power forward just like Jones, but right-handed and with more hops. He appears to be a late bloomer coming over from England. Maybe he's a starter by next season when he polishes the offense up.

8)Chase and Cole. Chase with the righty hook? That looked nice for the big lefty or the lean lefty. Cole has definitely added some muscle. 

9)Hicks. Made a few more jumpers and looks more aggressive defensively. Will be interesting to see if it's him or Tarke at the point. I think Tarke has to start.