• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

General MBB 2023-24 thread

I'm probably not going to be chiming-in too much this basketball season, at least not until mid-February.  I'll certainly be paying attention but I just can't get too wrapped up in what happens week-to-week from November through January.  

The *ONLY* thing that matters in CAA hoops is the tournament.  That's it and that's all.  

I don't care if we head into the tournament with a 30-1 record or a 16-15 record.  We've seen over Skerry's career that heading into the tournament as a regular season champion hasn't made much of a difference in winning it.  Just play your best basketball over the course of those 2-3 days.  That's it.

Do I have any confidence that Skerry has turned into some type of coaching savant and will finally figure out how to win the tournament?  Absolutely not.  Smart money says go against the Tigers in the CAA Tourney. 

Will I still be cheering like hell for TU basketball? Absolutely.

I know these “games don’t matter” but the Caa needs to go on board with something like this.  Guarantees two Non conf games a year and teams won’t be playing, mount olive, Arcadia, goucher and regent. 

IMG_2039.jpeg

33 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

I know these “games don’t matter” but the Caa needs to go on board with something like this.  Guarantees two Non conf games a year and teams won’t be playing, mount olive, Arcadia, goucher and regent. 

IMG_2039.jpeg

Agreed and like the idea but what other conference has 20 teams? (Exaggerating yes). The other worry would be what if they get killed in the challenge and go like 3-11.  That would be embarrassing. 

15 minutes ago, Blazer49 said:

Agreed and like the idea but what other conference has 20 teams? (Exaggerating yes). The other worry would be what if they get killed in the challenge and go like 3-11.  That would be embarrassing. 

Lol. Well the number is an issue but likely will solve itself shortly.  MAAC will have 13 next year.  Acc big ten used to have different numbers and someone had the short stick. 
Could go 3-11 or 11-3. It’s less embarrassing than playing a sub d1, which DOESN’T COUNT towards your record (sorry to some on here)
Just looked at schedules and there are 19 caa games involving non d1s. Only NE Monmouth and NC A&T don’t have one. 

• Like 1

https://thetowerlight.com/strong-second-half-propels-towson-mens-basketball-past-coppin-state/

Thoughts on tonight:

-Tomiwa was a bit underwhelming

-Tejada and May can be really good when they're hitting. Tejada hit back to back threes at one point in the game, the bench loved it.

-This team usually outrebounds Coppin State, but this time it felt different. 51-20 rebound battle including 20 offensive boards and lots of second chance points. Defense looked good throughout.

-When/if this team gets Tarke, they should be among the best defensive teams in the conference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

This was some old school skerryball. Ugly, physical, sloppy, turnovers, lots of stopping for free throws (thanks to those awful refs, let the boys play!) missed shots, and lots of second chance opportunities. We are gonna need a lot of points from offensive rebound/put backs if Tarke can’t play. Gonna need that old school identity of defense and rebounding to keep us close with teams that can actually score. Gotta get Dylan Williamson scoring, we need a spark plug guy who can shoot now that Nic Timberlake is ballin with the Jayhawks. 

who all is going Saturday? Should we expect a big crowd? Jake get the buzz going on campus