• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

General MBB 2023-24 thread

Yeah, that is why polls don't really mean much. We have played as well as all those teams so far, but UNC-W and Charleston have much better overall recognition than our program does, and Drexel is still in first. The only way we can earn respect is on the court.

The Delaware game worries me because they were so piss poor shooting in the earlier game. Of course, we weren't much better. Two years ago they came in on a mission to beat us at home, and they probably would have if the game didn't get stopped and continued later. We need to be ready for everything they will throw our way. Not that anything is a given, but if we beat Delaware we will be 8-3 going into three straight games teams in the bottom three of the standings. Of course, two of those are road games and our offense has been wildly inconsistent on the road. 

25 minutes ago, Tiger93 said:

Yeah, that is why polls don't really mean much. We have played as well as all those teams so far, but UNC-W and Charleston have much better overall recognition than our program does, and Drexel is still in first. The only way we can earn respect is on the court.

The Delaware game worries me because they were so piss poor shooting in the earlier game. Of course, we weren't much better. Two years ago they came in on a mission to beat us at home, and they probably would have if the game didn't get stopped and continued later. We need to be ready for everything they will throw our way. Not that anything is a given, but if we beat Delaware we will be 8-3 going into three straight games teams in the bottom three of the standings. Of course, two of those are road games and our offense has been wildly inconsistent on the road. 

What is our highest shooting percentage in any conference road game this season? It was dreadful vs Monmouth, NE & Hofstra (I think we scored something like a combined 158 points in those 3 games). I don’t think it was particularly good in the W vs DE (I doubt we shot above 40% in that game). That would leave C of C, which ironically was very likely our best shooting performance on the road. 

No matter how good we are in the friendly confines of TU Arena, we are eventually going to have to win 3 straight (hopefully only 3) away from campus, to grab that elusive brass ring 

Edited by TSU88

7 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

What is our highest shooting percentage in any conference road game this season? It was dreadful vs Monmouth, NE & Hofstra (I think we scored something like a combined 158 points in those 3 games). I don’t think it was particularly good in the W vs DE (I doubt we shot above 40% in that game). That would leave C of C, which ironically was very likely our best shooting performance on the road. 

No matter how good we are in the friendly confines of TU Arena, we are eventually going to have to win 3 straight (hopefully only 3) away from campus, to grab that elusive brass ring 

Need to start holding practice in the monumental sports arena in DC to get used to those rims

37 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/stat/shooting-pct

Home: 44.2%; Road: 37.9%

Defense 

Home: 40.9; Road: 44.7%

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/stat/opponent-shooting-pct 

1 hour ago, TSU88 said:

Here is what I wrote earlier about this topic. We have had three good shooting halfs, six bad ones, and one fairly solid half. The good news is that a lot of teams have road struggles and no one is any more familiar with the conference tournament area then we are. I also don't think there is a team as good as Charleston was last year, so in that respect the conference seems more up for grabs. The bad news is our conference tournament karma and history, and it only takes on bad shooting half to sink a team in single elimination. 

On the road in conference play, we are now 103-277 (37.2%). If you take out the 30-58 performance at Charleston (which obviously shouldn't be taken out) it gets a lot worse. We have six bad halfs, one decent half and three good halfs. We shot 57% in the second half at Northeastern, 50% and 54% at Charleston, and a decent 43% in the first half at Delaware.  We shot 33% in the first half against Hofstra and 27% in the second half, 24% in the first half at Northeastern, 35% in the second half at Delaware, and 23% and 31% at Monmouth. 

I love the effort and defense of this team, but this is one of the big reasons why as much as I like the talent and depth on this roster it gets very dicey come tournament play. Right now, in 10 halfs away from Towson in CAA play, six of the 10 have been 35% or worse shooting halfs. One half like that sinks you tournament play.

11 minutes ago, Tiger93 said:

Here is what I wrote earlier about this topic. We have had three good shooting halfs, six bad ones, and one fairly solid half. The good news is that a lot of teams have road struggles and no one is any more familiar with the conference tournament area then we are. I also don't think there is a team as good as Charleston was last year, so in that respect the conference seems more up for grabs. The bad news is our conference tournament karma and history, and it only takes on bad shooting half to sink a team in single elimination. 

On the road in conference play, we are now 103-277 (37.2%). If you take out the 30-58 performance at Charleston (which obviously shouldn't be taken out) it gets a lot worse. We have six bad halfs, one decent half and three good halfs. We shot 57% in the second half at Northeastern, 50% and 54% at Charleston, and a decent 43% in the first half at Delaware.  We shot 33% in the first half against Hofstra and 27% in the second half, 24% in the first half at Northeastern, 35% in the second half at Delaware, and 23% and 31% at Monmouth. 

I love the effort and defense of this team, but this is one of the big reasons why as much as I like the talent and depth on this roster it gets very dicey come tournament play. Right now, in 10 halfs away from Towson in CAA play, six of the 10 have been 35% or worse shooting halfs. One half like that sinks you tournament play.

What’s the old saying about role players? They show up more often than not a home but not on the road.  A team with balanced scoring and can have anyone lead the team any given night is a nice thing. But to have that on the road is much tougher. 

While Charleston isn’t as good as last year, the middle pack schools are better than last

32 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

What’s the old saying about role players? They show up more often than not a home but not on the road.  A team with balanced scoring and can have anyone lead the team any given night is a nice thing. But to have that on the road is much tougher. 

While Charleston isn’t as good as last year, the middle pack schools are better than last

Agreed, my only point on Charleston is I thought we showed up and played a solid game against them in the tournament last year they were just better than us. It wasn't like 2022, where we were the best team and didn't really show up. I am not saying either one is better than the other, because at the end of the day we didn't accomplish our goals either year. My main point is everything is more wide open this year. I am not sure if that is better or worse, it is just the state of the conference this year.