• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

General MBB 2023-24 thread

1 hour ago, mat1992 said:

O’Connell stays

That’s too bad for O’Connell, what with him being a Hopkins alum. This guy Cain though has an impressive D3 coaching record, which I guess trumped O’Connell’s bid. 

Unfortunately seems to continue a pattern of disappointment for all things TU basketball related this offseason 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TSU88 said:

That’s too bad for O’Connell, what with him being a Hopkins alum. This guy Cain though has an impressive D3 coaching record, which I guess trumped O’Connell’s bid. 

Unfortunately seems to continue a pattern of disappointment for all things TU basketball related this offseason 

Tough for O’Connell, but good for the team trying to add an assistant to replace Clark, attempting to add a last transfer and going to Canada in early August. Amongst attempting to get two forwards for 2024 and pushing for 2025 guys.

3 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

Tough for O’Connell, but good for the team trying to add an assistant to replace Clark, attempting to add a last transfer and going to Canada in early August. Amongst attempting to get two forwards for 2024 and pushing for 2025 guys.

The reason the Hopkins job was open was because the last coach left to be an assistant at U of Cincinnati. How many people know that Jim Valvano’s first head coaching gig was at Hopkins? 

3 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

The reason the Hopkins job was open was because the last coach left to be an assistant at U of Cincinnati. How many people know that Jim Valvano’s first head coaching gig was at Hopkins? 

It's a fine starting job. You usually don't have to worry about players off-the-court or academically, though I'm sure it's not easy for anyone to prosper.  Wes Unseld Jr. went there about 25 years ago and he's a head coach in the NBA. O'Connell will get his chance, but of course, it would help if the team wins a title. Towson men's lacrosse went to a FF in 2017 and OC Anthony Gilardi went to Stony Brook. 

On 6/29/2023 at 2:45 PM, Chris Datres said:

https://twitter.com/RoccoMiller8/status/1674501373403054080?s=20

Not exactly a neutral site but still a pretty strong non-con game.  Tweet not embedding correctly -- it's a negotiation to play South Dakota State at the Pentagon in Sioux Falls.

Excellent to have another Towson game find its way to my part of the country. Not exactly around the corner from me, but I should be able to find a way to get there. Pretty similar in magnitude to the Baylor-Gonzaga game that was played there around the same time in 2022. 

• Like 1

On 6/23/2023 at 11:34 AM, mat1992 said:

Now that we filled the last open spot, hopefully this trip is productive and we get some different rotations that will play dividends in the season. I know there will always be players out in the preseason but with so many new players it’s crucial to get time together. 
The last two times, I believe, we had a stinker of a season. Time to break that streak