• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

It’s official: Messiah Jones to Towson

22 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

I forgot to mention that he played last season with a heavy heart, giving the passing of his mother, in addition to coming off an injury & playing out of position. Would love to see him avg 12-13ppg & 7 boards for us. Hopefully that’s realistic. Also, we suddenly have a Windy City pipeline, with him and Lowery, the incoming freshman 

Very meh get. But I guess he’s replacing sekou so he can’t be worse (God, or should I messiah, I hope not).  

Still have to much dead weight on this roster. 

Do like that we are moving out to Chicago.  Now let’s go after the hotbed in nyc

1 minute ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Very meh get

He ain’t Michael Jordan, but I think it’s premature & a bit unfair at this point to call him a “meh” get. Even more unfair to comp him to Sylla. Let’s see how it plays out, but a 10/5 guy who only played 22mpg last season (with the other surrounding circumstances-coming off injury, his mom’s death and apparently playing out-of-position sometimes) hopefully will be better than “meh.” Let’s wait and see before we throw him on the mediocrity pile, shall we. Maybe he gets us 12 or so ppg & 6-7 boards. Maybe he doesn’t. I’m going to be cautiously optimistic, unless/until there’s reason not to be 

He’s not Cam, which is good and bad. Nothing wrong with a more traditional power forward but yes, four guards created better ball movement. Defensively there were issues as well. Cam struggled to shoot the three and Jones rarely shoots outside of 10 feet. It would be nice to have a 20 point guy, but nothing wrong with 4-5 guys who can average in double figures.I’ll take a slightly taller and longer JD. He became a very good player at the end

It is a meh pick up. But we can’t get any better. we are perennial  18-13 program with a first round CAAT exit. Not going to do much better. 
So hicks messiah and Charles the other two players better be steph curry and klay Thompson 😂😂😂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Very meh get. But I guess he’s replacing sekou so he can’t be worse (God, or should I messiah, I hope not).  

Still have to much dead weight on this roster. 

Do like that we are moving out to Chicago.  Now let’s go after the hotbed in nyc

I could see the comparison in style of game to Sylla, but Jones looks more athletic and seems to be a better finisher. Admittedly, I am only judging that from seven minutes of curated YouTube clips but also the fact that he shot 57.2 pct from the field against similar competition last year compared to 48.8% for Sylla. I do agree there needs to be at least two more impact players, and one hopefully at first or second-team all-conference level (in a comparable conference) for us to have realistic aspirations of being similar to the last couple of years. There is still plenty of time to do that. Of course, that doesn't guarantee it will happen, but I will wait until at least mid-May before having too much judgement since there are still a boatload of players out there. 

The other concert I have with Jones and Thompson in the same lineup is that is two guys who are mostly playing 10 feet and in from the basket, and similar to Thompson, Jones looks he has very deliberate and lengthy post moves. Does seem like a solid finisher at the basket, which we sorely needed on a lot of occasions last year. 

Good start to the transfer signings, but still a lot or work to do. 

I know PER is not the greatest stat in the world to completely judge players from, but it is one measure. When you go the link below they have an adjusted efficiency ranking based on PER (they even admit PER has a high bias for high FG pct. big men) and level of competition. Jones is ranked 86th on this list.

Also, when you look at PER numbers on their list of 300 players only seven players are ranked higher than Johnson. Those players are:

Keegan Records, Colgate (30.6 PER, 13 ppg, 6 rpg, 67.5% FG)
Josh Cohen, St. Francis to UMass (30.6 PER, 21.8 ppg, 8.3 rpg, 58.5% FG)
Dame Adelekun, Dartmouth to Loyola (Chi.) (30.6 PER, 13.8 ppg, 7.2 rpg, 56.3% FG)
Hunter Dickinson, Michigan (28.4 PER, 18.5 ppg, 9.0 rpg, 56.0%FG)
Jordan Minor, Merrimack to Virginia (28.0 PER, 17.4 ppg, 9.4 rpg, 51.5% FG)
Jesse Edwards, Syracuse to West Virginia (27.5 PER, 14.5 ppg, 10.3 rpg, 59.2% FG)
BJ Mack, Wofford (27.1 PER, 16.6 ppg, 5.6 rpg, 49.2 %)
Messiah Jones, Wofford to Towson (26.8 PER, 9.8 ppg, 5.4 rpg, 57.2%)

https://theresourcenexus.com/transfer-portal-basketball/

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TuTigers2012 said:

It is a meh pick up. But we can’t get any better. we are perennial  18-13 program with a first round CAAT exit. Not going to do much better. 
So hicks messiah and Charles the other two players better be steph curry and klay Thompson 😂😂😂

The Dubs run is over..  we need Fox & Monk now 😉

11 hours ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Like clockwork... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2