• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Chris Datres

Elon Postgame

3 minutes ago, Tiger1stRow said:

With a team full of seniors, this years team has no real leader. Hope someone can step up and give the "John Davis" speech and turn this season around. A ton of talent on this team but I think it hurts not having a strong center. Alex thomas got beat on the opening tip off by a guy that was 6'4".

Yeah, I mentioned the JD speech in the chat around the half. Alex Thomas gets beaten on just about every tip so that's nothing shocking.

47 minutes ago, Tgr4life said:

I was optimistic that 5he Wiilian and Mary comeback would be a springboard, having finally won a close one. With the overwhelim8ng talent, compared to the rest of 5he CAA, Coach Skerry has to be pulling his hair out, trying t9 find a way to get these guys to play to their ability. 

As long as he can get it done before March 8n Charleston, th3 rest of these games do not matter.

Overwhelming talent? Not in the frontcourt. We're starting Alex Thomas and Eddie Keith. They are role players. Time to start Gorham, who has been as inconsistent as the team. Maybe with more minutes, he produces more. Bring EK off the bench as a point guard/point forward.

Skerry’s comments about the seniors & looking at making some changes were very telling. Don’t know what significant changes can be made-kind of like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. 

Worst performance in a half that I can recall. Incredibly disappointing given that we were coming off a big W, playing at home, & against an average to slightly above average opponent. Not to mention we should have had the revenge factor going for us, not to mention what an important game it was as far as standings in the conference.

Bottom line (and obvious) this squad is far too inconsistent to be considered a serious threat to win the tournament in March. Beyond inconsistency though is the utter lack of an inside scoring presence. We now seem relegated to a 1-man offense, & even he was horrid in the first half. EK has no consistent outside shot, & his bull in a china shop drives to the hoop rarely end well. He’s also fallen in love with that fadeaway jumper in the lane, which usually doesn’t go in. MM disappears for vast stretches, Morman is up & down & one game Starr looks great, the next, awful. 

Now, a 3-game road trip looms. Drexel has beaten C of C & NE, JMU has had a number of close losses & the other game is vs UD. Anything’s possible-hell, we could win all 3, but something tells me we lose at least one, if not 2 of the games. I’ll be glad to eat crow if I’m wrong.

I’ve mentioned this before, but it bears repeating-this team may be better off next year with the subtraction of this years seniors.

Edited by TSU88

13 hours ago, mat1992 said:

Overwhelming talent? Not in the frontcourt. We're starting Alex Thomas and Eddie Keith. They are role players. Time to start Gorham, who has been as inconsistent as the team. Maybe with more minutes, he produces more. Bring EK off the bench as a point guard/point forward.

Perhaps I did not phrase it properly. Compared to the rest of the league, Coach Skerry has the deepest team in terms of talent A to Z. I thought from day 1 that this team will go as far as Mike Morsell takes them. His play has to reach his talent level. If it does not, I cant see the team doing anything above average. If he plays to his level, this team has a chance to win a championship. Never was really sold on Eddie Keith as being a big factor. 

We can beat anyone in the conference.....we can lose to anyone in the conference.  Consistently inconsistent.  Does not bode well for the conference tourney.  NO KILLER INSTINCT!

Edited by AtlantaTiger

Go 3-0 on this road trip & we’d be primed to position ourselves for a run at a high seed in the tournament. 1st seed is going to be tough; I haven’t looked at the standings this morning, but I’m guessing C of C is 2 games ahead of us. If so, I’m not sure how we can realistically make that up. At least we still have 2 games with NE.

I’m skeptical we’re going to go 3-0 on this road trip, Even 2-1 leaves us at a rather pedestrian 7-6 in conference play. Sweep & we’re 8-5. We shall see.

Without having actually seen a game this season, I'm getting the impression that their up-and-down play is rooted in either a team chemistry issue (do these guys like and play well with each other?) or they don't respect or believe in what Coach Skerry is running/teaching.  Perhaps even a discipline problem....they freelance too much on court.  Whatever the problem, they better get it figured out real soon.

I can say this-I’ve been to all home games, with the exception of 2, & one thing that strikes me is I frequently see a few of our players gesturing in an animated fashion & seemingly jawing at Skerry when they are taken out of the game. It might be heat of the moment stuff, but I don’t see that similar behavior with players on the opposing teams, although I concede I’m not watching the opposition sideline.

It really does beg the question in my mind whether some sort of disconnect exists between Skerry & some of the players

Edited by TSU88

I just looked at the standings...we’re only a game in front of UD & UNCW in terms of remaining in the top 6, & thus avoiding a 7-10 or 8-9 play-in game in the conference tournament. Yikes.

This 3 game road trip really is critical. I don’t see us making up 2 games on C of C, & even though we’ve beaten W&M 2X, they’re also 2 games up on us. If we finish in a tie with Elon, they obviously have the tiebreaker on us. Absent us going on a tear, we are possibly looking at anywhere from a 3rd seed (maybe best case scenario) to 4-6 (probably the most likely scenario given our inconsistency) to a worse case scenario of a 7-8 seed