• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

Mark Ginsberg named new President

On 8/2/2023 at 10:19 AM, mat1992 said:

Comes from George Mason

A very interesting choice.  Seems like he's more than qualified on the academic leadership side.  I wish him nothing but the best and unprecedented success in leading our beloved university.

As it relates to this forum, what are we getting as far as an NCAA athletics-supportive and competent president?  Mason, if it is anything, is a "basketball school", but even they have been a bit up & down over recent years.  With no football at Mason what will President Ginsberg's perspective be on fielding a competitive football program?  I would love to learn more about his relationship and experience in collegiate athletics and how he views their importance and relevancy.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AtlantaTiger said:

I would love to learn more about his relationship and experience in collegiate athletics and how he views their importance and relevancy.

Wouldn’t we all. I’m not sure what, if any, significance to attach to the fact he’s coming from a school that doesn’t have a football program. It would be different for instance if we learn that he blocked efforts to launch a football program at GMU, but short of that type of smoking gun, I’m not going to jump to any conclusions. (Fill in appropriate cliche: we’ll see/time will tell/ let’s keep an open mind….)

1 minute ago, Blounge said:

He’s getting paid more than the coaches!

He should. This isn’t Alabama or some other similar university 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AtlantaTiger said:

A very interesting choice.  Seems like he's more than qualified on the academic leadership side.  I wish him nothing but the best and unprecedented success in leading our beloved university.

As it relates to this forum, what are we getting as far as an NCAA athletics-supportive and competent president?  Mason, if it is anything, is a "basketball school", but even they have been a bit up & down over recent years.  With no football at Mason what will President Ginsberg's perspective be on fielding a competitive football program?  I would love to learn more about his relationship and experience in collegiate athletics and how he views their importance and relevancy.

Shouldn’t matter. Football or not. Competitor (lol) or not.  He comes from a very similar school and seems to be very well qualified. Good hire!  Didn’t one last presidents come from a small private religious school??

1 hour ago, TSU88 said:

He should. This isn’t Alabama or some other similar university 

Towson is the antithesis of Alabama and those schools 

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Shouldn’t matter. Football or not. Competitor (lol) or not.  He comes from a very similar school and seems to be very well qualified. Good hire!  Didn’t one last presidents come from a small private religious school??

I think it matters to a degree.  A president who is either or indifferent, or even worse, unsupportive of athletics (read: football) can present hurdles for progress.  Generally speaking, successful sports programs have Presidents that are in lockstep with the AD and the vision that they have.  On a scale from 1-10, what is Dr. Ginsberg's interest and appetite for Towson having championship programs?

Some "esteemed" members of academia and university leadership look down their nose at the athletic programs. I just want to know that he's not one of them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TuTigers2012 said:

If by antithesis you mean we don’t pay our student athletes 6 or 7 figures to play, I’m good with that 

4 hours ago, AtlantaTiger said:

I think it matters to a degree.  A president who is either or indifferent, or even worse, unsupportive of athletics (read: football) can present hurdles for progress.  Generally speaking, successful sports programs have Presidents that are in lockstep with the AD and the vision that they have.  On a scale from 1-10, what is Dr. Ginsberg's interest and appetite for Towson having championship programs?

Some "esteemed" members of academia and university leadership look down their nose at the athletic programs. I just want to know that he's not one of them.

Fcs football, outside of about 12 teams in the MVC and Big Sky, is a challenge in itself. And on life support.

I don’t think he or any president is going to think Towson athletics or Towson football(lol) is going to make a difference at a school. It really won’t   Just hope he leaves well enough alone  

6 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

don’t think he or any president is going to think Towson athletics or Towson football(lol) is going to make a difference at a school. It really won’t   Just hope he leaves well enough alone  

That’s an awful broad statement, wholly unsupported by, you know, facts. Paint with a broad brush much?😆🤔