• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

Monmouth routs Tigers 42-23 in home opener

1 hour ago, Blounge said:

This is a big wake up call for Dr. E. This is the state of towson football. Can’t draw a crowd, can’t throw the football, can’t beat Monmouth(which I think we all thought would be a win when the schedule first came out) 

Ambrose is at Bateman’s smiling with a beer and a crab pretzel rn thinking “haha those idiots thought they could do better than me!” 

…where do we go from here? Double down and invest more in football? Disband the program? Do nothing and accept mediocrity for 100 years?

if we lose to Norfolk State that makes us a poverty franchise

if we lose to Morgan State it will invigorate the battle for greater Baltimore(on the Morgan side) so this will help us sell more tickets to Morgan students next year. 

Is it time for a change at quarterback?

New Hampshire almost beat Central Michigan, so I’m not looking forward to our trip up there to get shit pumped in the great white north 

I’m glad I couldn’t bet on us last night cause it would have been throwing money in an incinerator! I didn’t even lose money and I’m still mad about how bad we looked!

Welcome to the FCS coach shinnick! It’s not D2. This is D1 football. Wake up call as to how hard it is to win at this level. Gonna need to step it up

Some valid points but it is two games. They sucked last season until the last four. Can’t wait that long but it is basically the same team aside from the QB and maybe he thought he could coach them up.

I think this is a bit more nuanced than simply saying the new coach gets an entirely free pass this season. I don’t think there’s any question that he was hired too late to bring in a freshmen class. But, with the advent of the portal, that’s not entirely how one builds a successful football program anymore. Seems to me he had ample time to harvest the portal and what did he come up with? Well, he did bring in a QB, except he couldn’t beat out a former walk-on. There’s no indication he brought in a quality RB & I thought he brought in WR’s from TCU and Oregon State, except the only sightings of them so far are on milk cartons. 

After 2 games, it’s apparent we don’t have a dynamic QB. I’ve seen him referred to as a “game manager,” but the only thing he managed to do last night was lose. We don’t have a home run hitter/breakaway threat at running back. The D, meh. They bring more pressure than in the past, but still seem prone to giving up points in bunches.

Last year we beat Monmouth in their house and scored I believe 52 points in the process. This year, at home, we scored 23 points against the same team, who doesn’t have a D coordinator btw. Any objective perusal of the remaining schedule begs the question of where are the W’s coming from? Maybe Norfolk State. Aside from that, it’s questionable if we win any of the remaining games. 

Lol mentioning playoffs and this team was hilarious. 3k for a home opener is abysmal. If it weren't for UD, we would probably sell 15k tickets all year, may get to 20k with the hens. Let that sink in. In the mid atlantic , outside of Happy Valley, which isn't even really mid atlantic, there is no appetite for college football let alone a below average fcs team. Even more so there has been no sense of urgency since T West has left by anyone involved with Towson University to change the below average status. Everyone involved has just been happy to get their paychecks and the limited fans are just happy we have uniforms running out there on Saturdays. Respect the tradition and the few of you that actually care, but in this day and age it's time to do the fiscally responsible thing.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DHM said:

Towson definitely should have won that game!  We need work on defense and turnovers..inexcusable.  Playoffs I don’t see if we play like this this season.  A mobile QB would be nice. Defense needs to step up and make plays…they looked better last week vs this week.  They bullied us on their 4th down conversions because they knew they could get the first downs because they didn’t fear us…not good!!  Run game I thought was pretty good and as far as RB he didn’t use Hunter as much as he could of but don’t let his size be an issue he has a chip on his shoulder and will give you what you need when his name is called.  His size only limits those that think about his size vs his ability.   No one else should be receiving punt returns but Hunter ..you see what happened when that didn’t happen with the turnover. A few plays  in on crucial downs Gibbs wasn’t even out there…the commentators also noticed that.  Not sure the direction coaches are going but man it’s only going to get tougher each game we play if the game plan is like this. What games do you see us winning this season?  Monmouth was definitely one I didn’t have us losing.

Some good points. Londono and Hunter were both back to return punts I assume because the rugby-style punter’s kicks were low and they didn’t want them bouncing 20 yards. Even though Lukkas fumbled it, he’s normally a solid return man.

Kent has some mobility and showed it last week. I don’t Smith and Brown have much mobility at all.

6 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

I think this is a bit more nuanced than simply saying the new coach gets an entirely free pass this season. I don’t think there’s any question that he was hired too late to bring in a freshmen class. But, with the advent of the portal, that’s not entirely how one builds a successful football program anymore. Seems to me he had ample time to harvest the portal and what did he come up with? Well, he did bring in a QB, except he couldn’t beat out a former walk-on. There’s no indication he brought in a quality RB & I thought he brought in WR’s from TCU and Oregon State, except the only sightings of them so far are on milk cartons. 

After 2 games, it’s apparent we don’t have a dynamic QB. I’ve seen him referred to as a “game manager,” but the only thing he managed to do last night was lose. We don’t have a home run hitter/breakaway threat at running back. The D, meh. They bring more pressure than in the past, but still seem prone to giving up points in bunches.

Last year we beat Monmouth in their house and scored I believe 52 points in the process. This year, at home, we scored 23 points against the same team, who doesn’t have a D coordinator btw. Any objective perusal of the remaining schedule begs the question of where are the W’s coming from? Maybe Norfolk State. Aside from that, it’s questionable if we win any of the remaining games. 

Towson football. The more things change the more they stay the same.  He was hired too late because the last coach was also let go to late (about 5 years or so if you ask most fans), but do transfers want to come play for a nice guy from d2 who they don’t know anything about? Or a young former assistant with energy, that they’ve seen on tv? Not saying he can’t be successful but our last coach brought in transfers from uconn(when UConn was decent). He brought in players for north west Florida college, d2. 

Game managers are fine if we have a greet defense.  the defense who apparently brought back 3 stars (haven’t seen them be stars or good in their career. That Gibbs guy is MIA) stunk last night.  They just went for it against us cause they knew we couldn’t stop them. Talk about disrespect. Sheesh. They basically said we know you suck. 

as far as transfers go, more of the same.  Will they ever see the field?  Can they even play?  Most didn’t at their other schools. 

3,000 people (some weather based) is awful. Can’t keep spending money on this product if there’s no interest.  Got to the gate as the fans left the stadium. People stood in thr lots or students went back to dorms. There was no communication from any staff. The safe people wouldn’t let people into the lots around kick off stating it’s full and we needed to go to the union garage.  Problem was the parking lots were maybe 60% full. 

3 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Towson football. The more things change the more they stay the same.  He was hired too late because the last coach was also let go to late (about 5 years or so if you ask most fans), but do transfers want to come play for a nice guy from d2 who they don’t know anything about? Or a young former assistant with energy, that they’ve seen on tv? Not saying he can’t be successful but our last coach brought in transfers from uconn(when UConn was decent). He brought in players for north west Florida college, d2. 

Game managers are fine if we have a greet defense.  the defense who apparently brought back 3 stars (haven’t seen them be stars or good in their career. That Gibbs guy is MIA) stunk last night.  They just went for it against us cause they knew we couldn’t stop them. Talk about disrespect. Sheesh. They basically said we know you suck. 

as far as transfers go, more of the same.  Will they ever see the field?  Can they even play?  Most didn’t at their other schools. 

3,000 people (some weather based) is awful. Can’t keep spending money on this product if there’s no interest.  Got to the gate as the fans left the stadium. People stood in thr lots or students went back to dorms. There was no communication from any staff. The safe people wouldn’t let people into the lots around kick off stating it’s full and we needed to go to the union garage.  Problem was the parking lots were maybe 60% full. 

It’s hard to be encouraged right now, but I guess if you’re an optimist (which, when it comes to this program, I’m not)  you can rationalize that this is a honeymoon period and we just look to next season at this point. 

You know it’s one thing to be bad; it’s completely another to be bad and dull. The weather last night certainly held the attendance down (as did the fact the game was televised) but I have to ask, rhetorically speaking, who would want to spend their money watching the boring, unimaginative and unproductive product we’ve seen so far (yeah, yeah, small sample size, blah, blah blah)

It’s funny. Everyone wanted to get rid of Rob. Many loved the no yelling and cursing. Now after two games, it’s “Steve made a mistake”. I don’t think the guy forgot to coach, but you can’t coach timid in this league or play not to lose. You also have to recruit and what shocks me the most is that that more than half of West Florida’s roster were transfers last season. We added some but most are situational players  You have to add difference-makers especially at quarterback. Brown can’t even get off the bench in two blowouts.

We couldn’t beat newbie Monmouth who fired their defense coordinator 3 weeks ago and we have matchups against top 25 Delaware, Villanova, William & Mary, and Rhode Island. If Morgan state didn’t fumble instead of sealing the win at Akron they would be a ranked team too

• Like 1

I think everyone needs to pump the brakes. Lots of overreactions after 2 games. Did people really expect this team to be good this season? Nothing against Nathan Kent, but he was 3rd string for a reason. He is not going to be the QB that carries the team to victories. I had low expectations going into year 1 of Pete so I’m not really surprised that this is where we are. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1