• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB gets blown out at Colorado

https://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=483964

Colorado opened up the second half by making eight straight threes and rolled over the Tigers 75-57 to open the regular season on Monday night from Boulder. The Buffs led by just four at 28-24 at the half, before Colorado just exploded to start the season half and put the game away early.

KJ Simpson led Colorado with 22 points as the Buffs shot 8-of-17 from three-point range, while Towson shot 6 of 14. Towson shot just 35% from the field and got outrebounded 38-26. One of the few bright spots was the play of redshirt freshman Dylan Williamson, who had 15 points on 6-of-12 shooting. Charles Thompson added 13 points and five rebounds. The Tigers started freshman Tyler Tejada, who had nine points in 25 minutes, but also turned the ball over four times. Christian May had a rough first game with two points and was 0-for-9 from the field. He did have six rebounds to lead the team. Radhir Hicks had three points and two turnovers in 21 minutes. Towson had just five assists (3 from Williamson) and 11 turnovers. 

Towson played without Nenda Tarke (eligibility), Jaiden Cole (leg surgery) and Marcus Watson (ACL). 

Pat Skerry after the game on TowsonTigers.com

"I like the last 10 minutes of the first half . We were bad to start the game. Fought back pretty good. They took us to the woodshed to start the 2nd half. Our inability to make people miss allowed the separation. Didn't like the defense in the 2nd half."

"We have 10 guys and they're all going to play. We're striving for more consistency. If that is the best you can close our, either you're not good enough, when you are tired or missing a shot, you have to buckle down. Didn't like us defensively in the first 10 minutes of the second half."

"He can score the ball (Dylan). He didn't turn the ball over. His defensive effort was better than some other guys. We didn't finish at the rim. Their length bothered us. Didn't think we were gritty enough when they made some plays.
We lost our footing and it got away from us. Called two timeouts and it didn't seem to help."

Good news was that Fubo worked decently and it was pretty easy to cancel. Other than that, not unexpected. Thought defense looked good in first half and their defense is very good. Obviously, May has to be better and with no Tarke or even Cole, this is team with no depth in the backcourt. I also like the physicality of Sulaiman and Jones. They will help against mid-majors. Their length really bothered them and CT, who missed a few bunnies (I know, pretty typical).  Rebounding was pretty poor. After Lampkin (6-11, 280ish?), they aren't that big, but they are long. Either way, you need Jones, Sulaiman and Thompson to combine for more than 10 rebounds. Tejada also just one board shows he's finesse despite being 6-8, 222.

https://towsontigers.com/news/2023/11/6/mens-basketball-towson-mens-basketball-falls-75-57-at-colorado-on-monday-night.aspx

The passing was atrocious and I have a different take on this than expected. 

1)Charles I think will play more of a point center role, kind of like Cam. He struggled to pass out of the post tonight or just tried to do too much IMO. For those who watched it, he stole the ball on one play and dribbled the ball up the floor. Instead of giving the ball up to a guard, he tried to do it himself and predictably ran over a defender for a charge. Has to do a better job of trusting his teammates. 

2)Cam was just good at driving and then finding open guys. My problem with Hicks is that he doesn't get any penetration into the lane. Everybody has to be on board when it comes to passing. There are no stars on this game.

3)Hate to sound like a broken record on Tarke but he would make us better. Not because he'd put up 20 points per game, he's a strong driver with both hands and a willing passer. Not having Tarke and/or Watson is just devastating because it forces May and Tejada to be top options.

Tejada and Lowery will be a problem...for other teams. Even though Tejada missed two free throws, the ball bounced back to him and he nailed his second three in garbage time. Hopefully, that will give him confidence but one of the few good things about watching that game was that I was able to see his potential. At 6-8, 222, he has the potential (not there yet) to post smaller guys up, to put the ball on the floor against bigger guys and has the ability to knock down threes. Lower is basically the opposite on offense. Not sure what he does well though I know he can pass and I'd be disappointed that if we play conservatively on offense again and don't push the ball with or without Tarke because Williamson, Hicks, Lowery, May and Tejada need to run. We stunk on the backboards tonight, but there's no reason with those big guys up front in CT, MJ and Tomiwa Sulaiman, that we can't control the boards against a mid-major team and push the ball off a defensive rebound or a steal.

Wanted to add a few other general things.

1)JMU is in overtime right now with No. 4 Michigan State. I know Tom Izzo's team throws up a clunker early on, but this would be shocking. Apparently we were close in that scrimmage against them. 

2)CAA scores on Monday

Delaware 78-57 over Bucknell

Hofstra beat up some non-D1 team 101-48

Charleston 71-69 over Iona

Monmouth loses to GMU 72-71

Hampton loses to Howard 92-80

UNCW beats up on Mt. Olive 105-66

NC A&T loses to Pitt 100-52

W&M beats Regent 84-29 (why do they play Regent)

Northeastern beat Boston U. 67-58

Campbell beat Navy 59-48

Elon loses to Wake Forest 101-78

Well, not too sure what we can take from this game, given that CU is just quantifiably better than us. Having said that, it sure would have been nice to see how we would have fared if we had had Watson and Tarke, but we didn’t & that’s that.

My biggest positive was the play of Williamson. The kid can score. Hicks on the other hand, well, it’s a challenge for him to score and I didn’t think he distinguished himself running the point. I saw some glimpses from Tejada. On the other end of the spectrum, May had a miserable game, there’s no way to sugarcoat it. We can only hope his level of play will improve once we start playing teams with comparable talent. 

Only 6 assists. We’re really going to miss Holden. Most of the time, the half court offense just devolved into somebody going 1-on-1 with the shot clock running out. Perhaps that’s attributable to CU’s D, but it seems to me that when we get a defensive rebound that we should be forcing tempo. 

I think we’ll be okay once we hit conference play, especially if we get Tarke (I used to say when we get Tarke, but now who knows).

That first 10 minutes was something.  We were fortunate that our defense was decent and Colorado was huckin up bricks.  It was very encouraging to see the way we closed the half and got it down to 4.  What wasn't encouraging was what ended up continuing in the 2nd half -- it was very difficult for us to find a shot.  There wasn't anything that gave an indication that someone was gonna get a decent look.  Credit Colorado's defense for that.  I'm getting sick of CT missing layups and not taking it strong and drawing contact.  Someone long ago should have had a blocking dummy from the football team and pummeled the hell out of him with it in the post during practices.  Williamson was impressive in a first look.  Maybe he's the guy that can be the one to create his own looks.  It was disappointing to see the stat line on May as he had looks, he just couldn't get them to drop.  Really, the name of the game was Colorado hitting all those 3's to start the half.  If that's clipped to 50% then maybe we have a decent shot in the last 5 minutes.

As for Tarke, I'm not pining for him because I'm going under the assumption that his waiver is gonna get denied.  If it miraculously gets approved, then that'll be an added bonus.  But I think we should be prepared to get bad news about his situation if and when the NCAA decides it wants to make a ruling.

Being within 4 at half is respectable, hard to stay in the game when they knock down eight 3 pointers in a row in the 2nd half. Not good that May was the leading rebounder and also had zero points. Excited to see more Dylan Williamson, if he didn’t redshirt last year he might have been a difference maker in the tournament 

Does anyone here have any connection to the NCAA or a local news outlet about the Tark situation. This is unacceptable garbage to leave a kid in limbo like this. There is also millions of dollars involved with the NCAA so why do they run their businesses like it’s a Wendy’s in West Baltimore?

Pretty decent night for the caa. Jmu winning sucks. F them

fubu and those stream didn’t work for me so I can only go off stats and what others said.  Defense in second half wasn’t good. We aren’t gonna win many games if we allow more than 65.  It’s gonna be a slow grind on offense and pat will try and slow the game down as much as possible.

Hicks is hicks.  Charles is Charles. That’s what we should except out of them.  I’m sure messiah was outmatched due to size. May was awful. Some think he’s the next good nick. He’s likely a 7-8 ppg guy atleast for a while.  Good game from Williamson 

tarke not playing, we and the staff knew that’d be a possibility.  It’s gonna be another “when when when” like with Jason.  Need to prepare like he will not suit up This year 

9 hours ago, mat1992 said:

The passing was atrocious and I have a different take on this than expected. 

1)Charles I think will play more of a point center role, kind of like Cam. He struggled to pass out of the post tonight or just tried to do too much IMO. For those who watched it, he stole the ball on one play and dribbled the ball up the floor. Instead of giving the ball up to a guard, he tried to do it himself and predictably ran over a defender for a charge. Has to do a better job of trusting his teammates. 

2)Cam was just good at driving and then finding open guys. My problem with Hicks is that he doesn't get any penetration into the lane. Everybody has to be on board when it comes to passing. There are no stars on this game.

3)Hate to sound like a broken record on Tarke but he would make us better. Not because he'd put up 20 points per game, he's a strong driver with both hands and a willing passer. Not having Tarke and/or Watson is just devastating because it forces May and Tejada to be top options.

Tejada and Lowery will be a problem...for other teams. Even though Tejada missed two free throws, the ball bounced back to him and he nailed his second three in garbage time. Hopefully, that will give him confidence but one of the few good things about watching that game was that I was able to see his potential. At 6-8, 222, he has the potential (not there yet) to post smaller guys up, to put the ball on the floor against bigger guys and has the ability to knock down threes. Lower is basically the opposite on offense. Not sure what he does well though I know he can pass and I'd be disappointed that if we play conservatively on offense again and don't push the ball with or without Tarke because Williamson, Hicks, Lowery, May and Tejada need to run. We stunk on the backboards tonight, but there's no reason with those big guys up front in CT, MJ and Tomiwa Sulaiman, that we can't control the boards against a mid-major team and push the ball off a defensive rebound or a steal.

Wanted to add a few other general things.

1)JMU is in overtime right now with No. 4 Michigan State. I know Tom Izzo's team throws up a clunker early on, but this would be shocking. Apparently we were close in that scrimmage against them. 

2)CAA scores on Monday

Delaware 78-57 over Bucknell

Hofstra beat up some non-D1 team 101-48

Charleston 71-69 over Iona

Monmouth loses to GMU 72-71

Hampton loses to Howard 92-80

UNCW beats up on Mt. Olive 105-66

NC A&T loses to Pitt 100-52

W&M beats Regent 84-29 (why do they play Regent)

Northeastern beat Boston U. 67-58

Campbell beat Navy 59-48

Elon loses to Wake Forest 101-78

Why do we play Arcadian? Why do any of these schools play non d1s. Scheduling.  Joey D and co need to figure this out 

Audio feed was screwed up going back and forth between Ben R doing the ladies game and Spiro every 30 seconds… followed via stats. 
Playing Colorado first out there was ideal for this group I believe.  They will shoot better going forward.  May will be fine..  he’s not gonna be a Nick scorer but he’s gonna score and be one of our key guys. 
Playing time to be had with all these newcomers so will be fun to see them develop.  
The NCAA we know picks and chooses who and when they want to help or hinder a player or program.. never gonna change.  
EG/UNLV etc.  

I remember when Bill Walton was cited for buying a birthday cake 🎂 for one of Luke’s teammates at Arizona.  

0-1 but we will bounce back.  Playing in Colorado any sport is a crap shoot.  

Edited by Bay Area Tiger

I’m not in charge of the scheduling but I would never schedule a non-D1 school and some programs play more than one. I had heard that they were trying to move that game to another D1 but I guess it didn’t work out.

The Tarke situation is frustrating but we’re not the only school in that boat. We might be one of the few where are success depends on him. 

Again, when you look at our roster, we had 10 players last night and just two real guards available. I consider May, Tejada and Lowery theees. No Cole, Watson and Conway makes him a major cog for this team. If we have to wait until December then so be it but it shouldn’t take that long because his case is prett cut and dry.

• Like 2