• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB gets blown out at Colorado

It was a blowout and do not know if he was part or will be part of their normal rotation but Timblerlake played 20 minutes and scored 13 points including 3 for 4 from 3 last night for Kansas.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Blazer49 said:

It was a blowout and do not know if he was part or will be part of their normal rotation but Timblerlake played 20 minutes and scored 13 points including 3 for 4 from 3 last night for Kansas.

Yeah, he’ll probably be their sixth man.

• Like 2

Also, not sure if the news made it out west about the CAA name change but according to them Towson plays in the Colonial Conference.  Thankfully they didn't throw in "State" when saying our name but I am pretty sure they threw in the extra in in Towson a few times! 

Wasn't expecting a win but I just get frustrated with the continued stretches of poor play every game.  Was pleased they closed the deficit to 4 at halftime but then the Buffs have a huge run to start second half.  Who is the player on our team that can get us a bucket when we need to stop runs like that?  On to Coppin which better be our first win of the season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blazer49 said:

Who is the player on our team that can get us a bucket when we need to stop runs like that? 

The million dollar question for years. Nick last year could get hot but then cold and was a shooter. We don’t have anyone who can create their own shot and take over a game 

1 hour ago, mat1992 said:

Yeah, he’ll probably be their sixth man.

Wow, Timberlake at Kansas now from Towson? Did not know that. How’s that for an upgrade? Lol

1 hour ago, Blazer49 said:

Also, not sure if the news made it out west about the CAA name change but according to them Towson plays in the Colonial Conference.  Thankfully they didn't throw in "State" when saying our name but I am pretty sure they threw in the extra in in Towson a few times! 

Wasn't expecting a win but I just get frustrated with the continued stretches of poor play every game.  Was pleased they closed the deficit to 4 at halftime but then the Buffs have a huge run to start second half.  Who is the player on our team that can get us a bucket when we need to stop runs like that?  On to Coppin which better be our first win of the season.

Obviously Tarke would help. The closest player right now would be Williamson and yes, he could have helped some last season when Gibby went out.

47 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

The million dollar question for years. Nick last year could get hot but then cold and was a shooter. We don’t have anyone who can create their own shot and take over a game 

Assuming he’s not redshirting, I’d like to see if Cole could possibly be that guy. If Tarke doesn’t get cleared, which I’m reconciled to believe might be the case, it would be less likely Cole would redshirt 

We need Tarke... Sucks we are in this position but with Watson gone, he is a necessity. Will hopefully allow us to play Hicks less. He is a liability on offense and defense was average. Williamson is good. Seems like a true scorer, but undersized right now. Charles needs help. May... hoping that was first game jitters. 

Watching JMU for the last 10 years... just wow. Good for them. Almost went there... what could have been hahaha. We envy what they have built under true leadership. 

4 hours ago, AtlantaTiger said:

I'm probably not going to be chiming-in too much this basketball season, at least not until mid-February.  I'll certainly be paying attention but I just can't get too wrapped up in what happens week-to-week from November through January.  

The *ONLY* thing that matters in CAA hoops is the tournament.  That's it and that's all.  

I don't care if we head into the tournament with a 30-1 record or a 16-15 record.  We've seen over Skerry's career that heading into the tournament as a regular season champion hasn't made much of a difference in winning it.  Just play your best basketball over the course of those 2-3 days.  That's it.

Do I have any confidence that Skerry has turned into some type of coaching savant and will finally figure out how to win the tournament?  Absolutely not.  Smart money says go against the Tigers in the CAA Tourney. 

Will I still be cheering like hell for TU basketball? Absolutely.

I agree and disagree at the same time. It sucks that it comes down to a weekend but that’s the way it is. We have come in hot. Come in cold. Come in mediocre.  Come in as the 1 seed. Come in as the last seed. Come in as a 6 and 3 seeds. None of that has mattered since we have never won more than one game there.  Shit my freshman year we won 2!

1 hour ago, sr16 said:

We need Tarke... Sucks we are in this position but with Watson gone, he is a necessity. Will hopefully allow us to play Hicks less. He is a liability on offense and defense was average. Williamson is good. Seems like a true scorer, but undersized right now. Charles needs help. May... hoping that was first game jitters. 

Watching JMU for the last 10 years... just wow. Good for them. Almost went there... what could have been hahaha. We envy what they have built under true leadership. 

JMU has leadership. They also have fans, alum and some students who actually care.  They spend a lot of money to be good. They have some of, if not the highest student fees in the nation. But what they don’t do is reward and accept mediocrity. 

Read this as if it’s someone else’s post. 
This isn’t a calling for anyone to be fired or anything like that. It’s just facts

Benimon years we drew a lot more than now. We won yes, but we have won some since then too. Why is it? That team wasn’t overly appealing to watch.  

Why do we give away close to decade long contract extensions to coaches when no one else in our position does? Let alone doing so when they don’t reach the ultimate goal.  Were we really afraid of losing these guys? We should want to be a stepping stone position for coaches.

Why haven’t we won a game that “we shouldn’t have”. Temple. Oregon state sure, but since who really?  We have had some middle to low tier power schools on the schedule and routinely shit the bed late. Other schools can pull those out from time to time, why can’t we?

4-10 in the CAAT. With some games being our backyard, having the 1 seed and a POTY. That shouldn’t happen. Decade of different players, personalities and some skill sets but the same results. Is that recruiting/players? Probably not entirely. Is it the system?  Is it the staff?  Why do we continuously shit the bed in tight games and in March?!

Other programs have freshmen play right away why don’t we?  “Defense” is the excuse but that can be masked especially with other good defenders around.  Those coaches live with the freshmen mistakes and by year two they are are ready to go. (And sometimes ready to go to other programs haha). We have had 2 freshmen make the all rookie team in the last 11 years.  

We are 181-155 in 11 years and 1 game (excluding first the first season). That’s 16.5-14.1 record on average. 
In caa play we are 109-81. That’s. 9.9-7.4 record on average.  
There have been 3 20 win seasons (with 2 in a row). 
We are a slightly above average team in a league that has regressed mightily. And we are a terrible team when it matters.

It is what it is at this point. We have 3 or 4 or 5 or whatever it is left with Pat. He will win some games and have some other real ugly ones. He probably won’t ever win the tournament. 

3 hours ago, TuTigers2012 said:

I agree and disagree at the same time. It sucks that it comes down to a weekend but that’s the way it is. We have come in hot. Come in cold. Come in mediocre.  Come in as the 1 seed. Come in as the last seed. Come in as a 6 and 3 seeds. None of that has mattered since we have never won more than one game there.  Shit my freshman year we won 2!

JMU has leadership. They also have fans, alum and some students who actually care.  They spend a lot of money to be good. They have some of, if not the highest student fees in the nation. But what they don’t do is reward and accept mediocrity. 

Read this as if it’s someone else’s post. 
This isn’t a calling for anyone to be fired or anything like that. It’s just facts

Benimon years we drew a lot more than now. We won yes, but we have won some since then too. Why is it? That team wasn’t overly appealing to watch.  

Why do we give away close to decade long contract extensions to coaches when no one else in our position does? Let alone doing so when they don’t reach the ultimate goal.  Were we really afraid of losing these guys? We should want to be a stepping stone position for coaches.

Why haven’t we won a game that “we shouldn’t have”. Temple. Oregon state sure, but since who really?  We have had some middle to low tier power schools on the schedule and routinely shit the bed late. Other schools can pull those out from time to time, why can’t we?

4-10 in the CAAT. With some games being our backyard, having the 1 seed and a POTY. That shouldn’t happen. Decade of different players, personalities and some skill sets but the same results. Is that recruiting/players? Probably not entirely. Is it the system?  Is it the staff?  Why do we continuously shit the bed in tight games and in March?!

Other programs have freshmen play right away why don’t we?  “Defense” is the excuse but that can be masked especially with other good defenders around.  Those coaches live with the freshmen mistakes and by year two they are are ready to go. (And sometimes ready to go to other programs haha). We have had 2 freshmen make the all rookie team in the last 11 years.  

We are 181-155 in 11 years and 1 game (excluding first the first season). That’s 16.5-14.1 record on average. 
In caa play we are 109-81. That’s. 9.9-7.4 record on average.  
There have been 3 20 win seasons (with 2 in a row). 
We are a slightly above average team in a league that has regressed mightily. And we are a terrible team when it matters.

It is what it is at this point. We have 3 or 4 or 5 or whatever it is left with Pat. He will win some games and have some other real ugly ones. He probably won’t ever win the tournament. 

Look, I’m no Skerry apologist (I criticized the insane contract extension he got and have not hesitated to draw attention to his record of futility in the CAA tournament). That being said, I think it’s a little premature, after 1 game, to hang him in effigy. Let’s face it, we lost last night to what appeared to my uneducated eye (I was there last night) to be a pretty damn good team. We played this team, in their house, without 4 players, who through no fault of Skerry, were not available to us last night (Watson, Cole, Conway and Tarke). 

There will be plenty of time, as the season goes on, to critique, but let’s put the torches & pitchforks down, at least for now. Personally, I think Thursday vs Coppin will be a much better barometer than last night in Boulder 

• Like 1