• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

May, Sulaiman lead MBB over UMBC 89-73

https://umbcretrievers.com/sidearmstats/mbball/individual;team=away

https://x.com/towson_mbb/status/1733588500338106422?s=46&t=nScacl1TWT-KyOwj5stBaw

If you watched the game on MASN, Towson alum and UMBC broadcaster Gary Stein brought up the fact that UMBC was ranked first in pace and Towson was last in the nation in pace of play according to KenPom. Towson put up nearly 90 points after scoring 81 in their 89-73 win over UMBC on Saturday afternoon from Catonsville.

Christian May followed his 27-point performance against UMass on Wednesday with a 24-point game against the Retrievers on 9-of-14 shooting and 6-of-10 from 3-point range. Tomiwa Sulaiman came off the bench to score 16 points on 3-of-4 from three-point range and had five boards. Tyler Tejada added 14 points, including 11 in the second half.

Towson shot 52% from the field, while UMBC tried to stay in the game, by shooting 50% from the field, but they were 6 of 21 (29%) from three-point range. The Tigers doubled the Retrievers on the boards 42-21 and also shot 11-of-26 from beyond the arc (42.3%).

• Like 2

At what point is Sulaiman inserted into the starting lineup in place of Jones? 

All the sudden, May is good at basketball. Amazing what confidence can do for you. 

Looking forward to seeing how we do going forward, with the addition of Tarke, starting next Saturday vs Bryant 

• Like 1

Just now, TSU88 said:

At what point is Sulaiman inserted into the starting lineup in place of Jones? 

All the sudden, May is good at basketball. Amazing what confidence can do for you. 

Looking forward to seeing how we do going forward, with the addition of Tarke, starting next Saturday vs Bryant 

Sulaiman has been the better player by far. Let's take a look at the numbers

He's averaging 6.6 points and 4 rebounds in 17.6 minutes per game. He's also shooting 57.5% from the floor, 81% from the line (13 of 16) and 7 of 14 from beyond the arc with 8 turnovers. The three-point shooting might be a bit flukish but you can't deny it.

Jones is averaging 6.5 points and 4.4 rebounds in 18.5mpg. He's shooting 44.2% from the field, 67% from the line and 4-of-12 (33%) from 3-point range with 14 turnovers

https://towsontigers.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats

Neither is an all-conference player, but my biggest worry about Jones is that he's slow defensively. When he gets caught up on switches against smaller players, he's in trouble so he either loses his man or grabs his man a DB getting beat. 

So for the most part, this was Towson's game from start to finish even if the score was only eight (46-38) at the half. Towson was scoring at will and May was unreal with 19 points. They slowed May down in the second half, but we went inside more and Tejada woke up after a bad game and a half offensively. The more we cry about Sulaiman starting or playing more (he should get more than 17mpg), the more I think Tejada could eventually be the answer at the 4 when Tarke and Hicks come in. Tejada's post defense isn't bad. Now maybe I'm judging him against small forwards who are 6-6 or less, but he's never going to be great defensively on the perimeter where Lowery has all-league potential on D. But he's becoming better. I love watching his development along with Lowery and at 5-5, we're hopefully on the rise.

Also, Williamson with an ideal 8 assists and two turnover game. He's was 1 for 8 from 3 point range and 5 of 12 from the field, which means 4 shots were inside the arc. Eight threes is probably a bit too much.

Great game. Continue to get fat on the very weak teams on a weak schedule.  
Offense has been great the last two games (the teams we played don’t really try on that end of the court) so it’s a mix of improvement  and the opponent.  With that said our defense has taken a step back (from our standard) but that again is due to our opponent.  Umbc was phenomenal passing today. They didn’t shoot well from three and give 0 effort on the offensive glass. 

5 guys in double figures is a rarity so let’s enjoy.  Very good team effort as everyone contributed positively.

Dont think pat will make a change in the lineup. (Jones for Sulaiman) because he’s superstitious. But he needs to get off the bench sooner and play more. 

1 minute ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

Hicks is a co-captain..  he will return eventually too.  Let’s not forget about him! 
Keep it rolling Tigers. 

I was surprised to hear he’s already suffered 3 concussions at TU, according to 1 of the UMBC announcers. I can see a football player (although that’s even a lot for football). Not so sure he’ll be playing anytime soon (although I think Spiro said on the UMass broadcast that he might be a week or two away).

• Like 1

I want to add, it was nice seeing Williamson talk to paar and heild when they came in and basically told them they were getting the ball so shoot!  We all know how hard the walk ons work and critical of pat waiting too long to put them in blowouts. But for a young player on the court to do that, is a good teammate 

• Like 1