• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
El Tigre Oro

Someone Please Forward this story to Pat Skerry

59 minutes ago, El Tigre Oro said:

I guess the “answer/rationalization” you might get from Skerry is that it’s a lot easier to prioritize scoring when you’re recruiting at Connecticut, but I agree with the premise-if 13 years of prioritizing defense and rebounding has yielded a total of ZERO trips to the conference championship game, perhaps there’s something to be said for coming at it from a different angle and going after kids who can, you know, put the ball in the basket, and coach em up to play better defense 

Other than Lowery, the last three recruiting classes in terms of HS players; May, Williamson, Cole, Tejada and the two players they just signed are all guys who can put the ball in the basket. Pretty good shooters. Timberlake and Gibson were good examples but Charles is not. Why did it take so long? No clue. When you have two post players who can’t shoot from the perimeter, it limits what you can do. Spacing is not good. Then add Hicks to the equation and you have three non-shooters on the floor like last season and to a lesser extent, this season.

Let me take you back to early this summer when I was asking about this very idea of coaching philosophies and whether Skerry was married to his or would he ever change. Unfortunately, Pat is a finished product, he’s fully baked. He’s convinced HIS way is the best and only way and he is willing to die in that hill. 

IMG_5328.jpeg

2 hours ago, TSU88 said:

I guess the “answer/rationalization” you might get from Skerry is that it’s a lot easier to prioritize scoring when you’re recruiting at Connecticut, but I agree with the premise-if 13 years of prioritizing defense and rebounding has yielded a total of ZERO trips to the conference championship game, perhaps there’s something to be said for coming at it from a different angle and going after kids who can, you know, put the ball in the basket, and coach em up to play better defense 

You can say it’s easier to score against caa level (and Baltimore area) schools than it is against big east and Kansas level teams… haha. 

Playing bully ball was fine the first few years but after a while you need to shoot a bit. Our recipe “defense and offensive rebounding” isn’t really working this year since we can’t make any of our misses. We have to be the worst team in the country in the paint.  We are either rushing, soft and cant finish through contact or just suck. I think it’s all combo of the three. We have a 5th year senior that can’t finish over a smaller Bryant player, sometimes we cant even hit the rim from 5 feet away. 

Our defense is not good and ranks in the bottom 1/3 of the league. It passes the eye test for most since we don’t allow a lot of points.  Playing at the slowest pace in the nation, even slower than uva, limits the possessions. 

45 minutes ago, AtlantaTiger said:

Let me take you back to early this summer when I was asking about this very idea of coaching philosophies and whether Skerry was married to his or would he ever change. Unfortunately, Pat is a finished product, he’s fully baked. He’s convinced HIS way is the best and only way and he is willing to die in that hill. 

IMG_5328.jpeg

You’re right. He isn’t going to change. 13 years. No point guard. No player than can create his own shot or shots for others.  No one with a clutch gene. The closest we had was Mike morsell. 

• Like 1