• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Monmouth preview

12 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Lol What else is there to say?  
In all seriousness they shoot it well from deep and average 8 steals a game. Will the real Charles Thompson show up?!  I guess it’s early still tomorrows just the 13th game!

That dominant stretch CT had in the 21-22 season seems like it was a million years ago. I’d settle for him cutting down on the maddening misses at the rim. Patsos even commented on him needing to finish, during the Nicholls State game. 

1 hour ago, TSU88 said:

That dominant stretch CT had in the 21-22 season seems like it was a million years ago. I’d settle for him cutting down on the maddening misses at the rim. Patsos even commented on him needing to finish, during the Nicholls State game. 

CT had 11 & 11 last season against Monmouth.  Need at least that and more to win.  

18 hours ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Need to win 1 against the hawks this week. This is the more realistic of the two. Their top 3 players are pretty good and one has a lot of size. 
Battle of the choking coaches!!

Oddly enough I give us an equal shot to win both games this week based on what we have done to this point. I know UNC-Wilmington has been the best team in the conference in non-conference play, but if we show up like we did against UMass we can win that game. As we already talked about the road is a complete crapshoot right now, because outside of a decent portion of the Wake Forest game (and small parts of the Houston game) we haven't have played well on the road out of the state.

You could tell me we are 0-2, 1-1 or 2-0 after this week and I would not be shocked with either result. I will be surprised if we can beat teams like Delaware, Drexel, UNC-W, Charleston and Hofstra on the road, but I do think we are capable of winning those matchups at home (I know we got the short end of the scheduling in this respect). I think what we are in this conference this year will be determined on whether we can be a good, serviceable or awful road team, and I have no idea what category to put is in at this point. 

I do find it interesting that the tonight's spread has gone from -1.5 to -3 or -3.5 is some of the places I look. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

CT had 11 & 11 last season against Monmouth.  Need at least that and more to win.  

I think that's unlikely, and not just because Charles has been struggling. Glancing at the Monmouth roster (it lists 19 players!), seven are 6-8 or taller. I suspect most of those guys don't play much, but that many tall men suggests there will be one of two of them in the paint throughout the night. It's just a tough matchup for CT.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TigerFan54 said:

I think that's unlikely, and not just because Charles has been struggling. Glancing at the Monmouth roster (it lists 19 players!), seven are 6-8 or taller. I suspect most of those guys don't play much, but that many tall men suggests there will be one of two of them in the paint throughout the night. It's just a tough matchup for CT.

The big foreign guy plays and is good. With that said amari Williams is “good” but have never really seen it against us. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TigerFan54 said:

Charles is still a great rebounder and solid defender. I honestly think the offense he put up at the end of the 2021-22 season was a byproduct of getting easier opportunities because of what Timberlake, Nolan Jr. and Holden were creating on that end of the floor. That offense was doing a great job of spacing things out, and it made things easier for everyone. I feel like the 1993-94 team and that year are the only times I can remember offense coming that easy to a Towson team, and Thompson benefitted hugely from it.

I still think on days where Tejada or May heat up from outside he might have some better chances down low, but we just don't have three really solid scoring options ahead of him like we did in 2021-22. I think Thompson will do fine tonight, but my expectations have leveled off for him. He has not gotten better the last two years, but he is still the heart and soul of this team. When he stays out of foul trouble to get in a decent rhythm, limits turnovers, takes what comes to him on offense, and locks in on defense we are still much better for it. He has been through the battles, and I do think he can help set the tone for us to continue to be good in this conference. I just don't like when we rely on him as any sort of an offensive option. 

13 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

The big foreign guy plays and is good. With that said amari Williams is “good” but have never really seen it against us. 

The way Thompson battles against Williams is the prime example of what makes him so important to this team. Even when he isn't scoring, his effort, rebounding and defense can set the tone. We need him to lock into those areas and let others take care of scoring. He sometimes gets in trouble knowing he is a leader and fifth-year senior, and tries to do too much.