• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB falls at Monmouth 51-43

16 minutes ago, Tgr4life said:

Is there anywhere the post game press conference can be viewed?

The twilight zone 

8 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

Morning after….  1-15 from 3 and we still can’t beat them.  We played Monmouth right??  Can’t open up CAA play like a hot mess.  

There’s got to be a morning after, if we can hold on through the night. We have a chance to find the sunshine, let’s keep on looking for the light. 

Maureen McGovern-theme song from the Poseidon Adventure.  With us, it should be called the Skerry misadventure 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mat1992 said:

We're stuck with Williamson at point and for him to figure things out, but we can bring Tarke off the bench. Maybe go back to Tejada as the starting 2/3. He didn't seem to handle the benching well and we desperately need scoring. Tarke and Lowery can come off the bench as defenders and push the tempo. There are lot of options but after a night like this, it seems like few if any off that bench can help. 

“Push the tempo” yeah right. We’ve been hearing that from you for years that that they want to do that and have been in practice. At this point it’s lip service by Pat. It doesn’t happen for whatever reason or another.

Press? Why not we have some decent individual defenders who are long and athletic. Nope we just give a token press from time to time with jones on the inbounder. Hardly set up a press with Suliman in. Regardless we just back off after the opponent brings the ball 5 feet up the court.   A few traps and steals will lead to easy (easier-ish in our case since we can’t finish), buckets rather than trying to deflate the ball for 26 second and chuck up a contested three or have you undersized role player center try and go 1 on 4 and finish when he had issues finishing regardless if anyone’s covering him.

11 hours ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

Rock bottom. 17 games left.   Hope a plan is in place.  Pat sounded defeated and broken in the post game.  Monmouth shot 1-15 from 3 and their big man went 1-9 from the field.  We held Rice to 5 points in the first half but then got his in the second half.  
Watson, Conway, Hicks..  we don’t seem to have much luck like other schools.  At a loss anymore..  can’t open up league play that “ disconjointed “ 

Coach had 13 games to figure out what kind of team he has and how to play and we lack identity and a lead player like Monmouth had with Rice.  

Other teams have go to guards, we don’t. Haven’t in a decade plus. 

Coach had 13 years** FIFY

37 minutes ago, Blounge said:

https://x.com/ssn_monmouth/status/1743251628398883320?s=46&t=_ArGClX3XZ7EdROrGIJtmw

we gave Monmouth fans a ton of confidence with that one!

Close game and King and his team didn’t choke. That’s sad and just shows you how bad we are under pressure 

• Like 1

There's a difference between playing run-and-gun and pushing the ball when it's necessary. In 2014, we were 220th in Adjusted Tempo according to KenPom. This season, were are 361st out of 362 teams. Were 302nd in tempo in 2022 for the 25-win team. We were 196th in 2017 so it's not like we'll ever be in the top 100, but there's no reason why (if the personnel fits) that you can be under 200 in tempo. He's done it in the past. 

Lowery, Williamson, May and Tarke are capable of playing that style. Coppin State played the 19th Adjusted Tempo last season so I know Tarke can run and even though Coppin State was bad, he's better in transition. 

As far as the press goes, I don't expect us to trap like Georgetown in the 80s and Arkansas in the 90s. I do think if we're going to play Lowery 15-20 mpg you might as well take advantage of his strengths and it's not slowing the game down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mat1992 said:

There's a difference between playing run-and-gun and pushing the ball when it's necessary. In 2014, we were 220th in Adjusted Tempo according to KenPom. This season, were are 361st out of 362 teams. Were 302nd in tempo in 2022 for the 25-win team. We were 196th in 2017 so it's not like we'll ever be in the top 100, but there's no reason why (if the personnel fits) that you can be under 200 in tempo. He's done it in the past. 

Lowery, Williamson, May and Tarke are capable of playing that style. Coppin State played the 19th Adjusted Tempo last season so I know Tarke can run and even though Coppin State was bad, he's better in transition. 

As far as the press goes, I don't expect us to trap like Georgetown in the 80s and Arkansas in the 90s. I do think if we're going to play Lowery 15-20 mpg you might as well take advantage of his strengths and it's not slowing the game down.

I don’t think any of us are asking for vcu havoc or those Arkansas teams. We are just looking to play a bit faster than UVA. Bad offenses need easy buckets. If we can’t get to the line and don’t shoot well from there, this is the next best strategy 

10 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

The football team scored 52 at Monmouth in 2022. Basketball scored 43…

Crazy thing is we actually had a chance to pull out the W last night, until things went totally off the rails in the last 4-5 minutes of the game. Gee, I wonder if that’s ever happened to us before? 

I know +/- can be an arbitrary stat in basketball, but I always like to look at it after games to see if it confirms what I am watching (admittedly there is a confirmation bias conversation lurking in there). Williamson was +10 and Thompson was at +2. That makes sense to me because those were the only two players who seemed to be offering any positive contributions (other than the Christian May offensive spark that briefly gave us 38-35 lead), even though Williamson's shot was off.

I know people ripped Thompson, and I agree that I don't love that we run the offense through him. However, he gave us what we needed on the boards and defensively and frankly I think he should have played 4-5 minutes more than he did. Yes, he had a bad turnover spree at the beginning of the second half, and he had a couple of bad shots down the stretch, but this is for the most part how we need him to play. Who can blame him for taking a couple of the bad shots when no one else was making anything. He probably could have had five assists if anyone was capable of knocking down an open shot last night. 

One thing that bothers me in modern day college basketball is the over-reliance on the three-pointer even when shots aren't falling. We were 6-28. Twenty-eight of our 60 shots were three-point attempts (granted we were also 10-32 from 2pt-FG). In comparison, Monmouth who couldn't hit water if they fell out of boat from three only took threes on 15 of their 58 FG attempts (they were 18-43 from inside the arc). They outscored us 17 to 8 in points off turnovers despite the fact that we only had one more turnover, and also outscored us 30-16 in the paint. We have to figure out how to get some easy points rather than hoisting up threes and hoping we have a good night. 

Monmouth shot 16 FT to our 8 FT, and matched our 13 offensive rebounds. We also turned the ball over 14 times in 65 possession (21.5%) and shot 26.7% (16-60). I will beat a dead horse and say if we are going to have the least amount possessions of any team in the nation, turn it over 20% of the time and shoot poorly that really limits our chances of winning (I know I am understating this fact). Add to the fact, that we got matched or outplayed in the physical trademarks of Skerry teams (offensive rebounds and free throws), and you run out of ways to win a game no matter how good the defense plays. 

Xander Rice was the only player who did anything offensively when it mattered in this game (May was on his way to doing this when we gave us the lead 38-35, but wasn't able to sustain it), and Jack Collins was everywhere and negated any of the good defensive and rebounding that I thought Thompson provided us. 

Most of you probably either know this or don't care to dig into the stats that much, but after the games Statbroadcast posts expanded boxscores that have possessions, +/- and specialty stats. Sometimes it gives me a little more of a glimpse than a standard boxscore. Here is the link to last night's boxscore if anyone cares. https://www.statbroadcast.com/events/archived.php?id=485916

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Tiger93 said:

I know +/- can be an arbitrary stat in basketball, but I always like to look at it after games to see if it confirms what I am watching (admittedly there is a confirmation bias conversation lurking in there). Williamson was +10 and Thompson was at +2. That makes sense to me because those were the only two players who seemed to be offering any positive contributions (other than the Christian May offensive spark that briefly gave us 38-35 lead), even though Williamson's shot was off.

I know people ripped Thompson, and I agree that I don't love that we run the offense through him. However, he gave us what we needed on the boards and defensively and frankly I think he should have played 4-5 minutes more than he did. Yes, he had a bad turnover spree at the beginning of the second half, and he had a couple of bad shots down the stretch, but this is for the most part how we need him to play. Who can blame him for taking a couple of the bad shots when no one else was making anything. He probably could have had five assists if anyone was capable of knocking down an open shot last night. 

One thing that bothers me in modern day college basketball is the over-reliance on the three-pointer even when shots aren't falling. We were 6-28. Twenty-eight of our 60 shots were three-point attempts (granted we were also 10-32 from 2pt-FG). In comparison, Monmouth who couldn't hit water if they fell out of boat from three only took threes on 15 of their 58 FG attempts (they were 18-43 from inside the arc). They outscored us 17 to 8 in points off turnovers despite the fact that we only had one more turnover, and also outscored us 30-16 in the paint. We have to figure out how to get some easy points rather than hoisting up threes and hoping we have a good night. 

Monmouth shot 16 FT to our 8 FT, and matched our 13 offensive rebounds. We also turned the ball over 14 times in 65 possession (21.5%) and shot 26.7% (16-60). I will beat a dead horse and say if we are going to have the least amount possessions of any team in the nation, turn it over 20% of the time and shoot poorly that really limits our chances of winning (I know I am understating this fact). Add to the fact, that we got matched or outplayed in the physical trademarks of Skerry teams (offensive rebounds and free throws), and you run out of ways to win a game no matter how good the defense plays. 

Xander Rice was the only player who did anything offensively when it mattered in this game (May was on his way to doing this when we gave us the lead 38-35, but wasn't able to sustain it), and Jack Collins was everywhere and negated any of the good defensive and rebounding that I thought Thompson provided us. 

Most of you probably either know this or don't care to dig into the stats that much, but after the games Statbroadcast posts expanded boxscores that have possessions, +/- and specialty stats. Sometimes it gives me a little more of a glimpse than a standard boxscore. Here is the link to last night's boxscore if anyone cares. https://www.statbroadcast.com/events/archived.php?id=485916

There is only one stat that matters. The rest are ammunition for the coach to use as his contract expires.