• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Tejada leads MBB to a 67-64 win over UNCW

We really dragged UNC-W into our style of play today. They average 68.8 possession per game and had a season-low 56 possessions tonight. Their points per possession rate of 1.149 was their fourth-lowest of the season (only the games against Kentucky, East Carolina and Drexel were worse).

For Towson, we tied for the third-lowest number of possessions this season with 58 (only the 56 against Houston and 57 against North Texas were lower). Our 1.155 points per possession was our third-best of the year (Acadia at 1.448 was obviously the highest and our 1.209 rate against UMass was second-highest). We average 61.8 possessions per game. 

Great stat stuffer game by Charles Thompson who had 13 points, eight rebounds, four assists, two steals and two blocks. It was great to have Tarke come to life today with a team-high 15 points, although I don't really trust his three-point shot to be a consistent weapon. He did do a solid job of picking and choosing good times to attach the basket, which really helped the offense.

We had only shot over 40% from three twice before today, and both were on the road. Today, we were 9-18, and if you take a way May's 2-7 everyone else was 7-11 from behind the arc. We were outscored by 10 points in the paint, which is not a good trend early on in conference play. 

May and Sulaiman were both +7, while Williamson was +6, Tejada was +5 and Thompson was +4. Williamson is now +16 in 55 minutes in two conference games. It is clear when he is not on the court we don't really have anyone who can handle the ball coming up the court and run the offense (Tarke did a decent job filling in that role when Williamson was in foul trouble today).  

This game confirmed what we knew, which was we are a pretty good home team. Now we need to figure out how to take efforts like this on the road. That is the challenge that will tell the story of whether we are a middle-of-the road conference team, or a top-4 or 5 team (which will be very difficult). Stony Brook gave Charleston a pretty good game tonight, so I don't think they will be a pushover. We can't really take anything for granted with this offense. The good news is in our first two conference games our opponents points per possession is below 1 at 0.950. 

I know it is easy to get negative from a macro standpoint, but every year is a different group of players and I feel like we owe them the investment of not lumping how many ever years of misery we have all had of not even making a conference tournament final. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, mat1992 said:

I stuck by this program through the 16 straight losing seasons and for some reason, this is worse. Getting close to my breaking point.

@TuTigers2012 you gotta stop being so negative it’s contagious and infecting others. Don’t give us all depression and high blood pressure with your persnickety comments

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Blounge said:

persnickety comments

As I have been dubbed a “self indulgent wordsmith” by one of my colleagues (a badge I wear with honor 😆). I love your usage of “persnickety.” I dare say we are probably the only D1 message board where that word has been used, expect maybe for one of those highfalutin Ivy League schools 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

As I have been dubbed a “self indulgent wordsmith” by one of my colleagues (a badge I wear with honor 😆). I love your usage of “persnickety.” I dare say we are probably the only D1 message board where that word has been used, expect maybe for one of those highfalutin Ivy League schools 

Rumor has the D3 Tufts Jumbos been using the term since 1988. 

29 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

Rumor has the D3 Tufts Jumbos been using the term since 1988. 

Those rapscallions 

• Haha 1

On 1/7/2024 at 12:04 PM, Blounge said:

@TuTigers2012 you gotta stop being so negative it’s contagious and infecting others. Don’t give us all depression and high blood pressure with your persnickety comments

Shiiit man. Give me something to not be so negative about. 16-15 records aren’t it!

On 1/6/2024 at 9:02 PM, mat1992 said:

Now we're fighting for the best Towson fan on this board. We know who isn't. It has nothing to do with mediocrity or lack of titles or how much money you've given a program or whether you worked for them. Chris D. has been on the board and the CAAZone board for a long ass time. Probably close to 20 years since I started doing this in 2001. Everyone has the right to critique the coach and the system, which Chris was doing the other night after the Monmouth debacle. Most here want to win every game but we know it's impossible. Well some do.

I'll say this as a personal note. I take every loss and every win personally. I've covered the program since 1989, but I've never felt worse than I have the last 10 or so years after losses. I wonder why. I'm emotionally done with this program in March because of this board and it's not just about wins or losses. Nobody is f-ing satisfied with 24 wins or 20 wins or 17 wins without a title nor should they be. But it's ok to applaud these kids after wins instead of reading the same nauseating things over and over and over. Honestly, I can't take it anymore and at some point, I seriously need a break from this board. Maybe it's after the next loss. 

I stuck by this program through the 16 straight losing seasons and for some reason, this is worse. Getting close to my breaking point.

Doors swing both ways don’t forget that. Not saying you particularly in every case, but some of us are tired with the same old things said and praised on the other aisle.