• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

CAA Men's Basketball Thread

6 minutes ago, TTiger2024 said:

I’m buying beers in DC  if (when) we get to the finals

I don’t think you’ll have to break your piggy bank open. Frankly, if this coach ever gets us to the conference finals, we’ll all be wearing silver jumpsuits and getting around on conveyor belts. In other words, far, far into the future, if ever 

20 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

I don’t think you’ll have to break your piggy bank open. Frankly, if this coach ever gets us to the conference finals, we’ll all be wearing silver jumpsuits and getting around on conveyor belts. In other words, far, far into the future, if ever 

Listening today Spiro made the point that PS won 18 games while losing 75% of his scoring from last season and 2 starters this season in Watson & Hicks.  
Mind you there is a transfer portal now Sprio and every college is in the same boat.  Win or lose in DC..  Skerry is not going anywhere it sounds. 

Edited by Bay Area Tiger

3 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

Listening today Spiro made the point that PS won 18 games while losing 75% of his scoring from last season and 2 starters this season in Watson & Hicks.  
Mind you there is a transfer portal now Sprio and every college is in the same boat.  Win or lose in DC..  Skerry is not going anywhere it sounds. 

Watson’s loss hurt, no doubt. I don’t think Hicks’ loss really was that big a factor. But, to your point, look at the 3 guys not named Watson that Skerry brought in via the portal, Tarke, Sulaiman and Jones. By any objective measure, Tarke was dreadful, save for an outlier game here and there. The other two guys averaged a combined 10ppg. 3 swings and three misses. This illustrates the problem with blowing up this roster, which is it’s the same coach bringing in the replacements 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TTiger2024 said:

Absolutely could lose the first game ……

and

…… it’s also da same team that won AT C of C.

sooooo; yeah, I think the Tigers can win this thing (prob 6 teams that can).   

I’m buying beers in DC  if (when) we get to the finals (TY Bitcoin  🚀) …. Will send my coordinates WHEN we get there.   Sorry to be so positive , but that’s loving sports/ being a fan.  Most of y’all dismiss the 18-20 reg season wins anyways 😂 ….. so, LFG.   NOW you can check in.  Playoffs !   Next game(s) (per the negative Nancy’s) is ALL THAT MATTERS.  

#TIGERSROARINDC

There’s 4 teams that can win it. 1-4 seeds. Tigers have 0 chance.  4-11 soon to be 4-12

On 3/3/2024 at 2:23 AM, TuTigers2012 said:

There’s 4 teams that can win it. 1-4 seeds. Tigers have 0 chance.  4-11 soon to be 4-12

DraftKings Odds are:

Charleston +225
Hofstra +280
UNCW +380
Drexel +380
Towson +950
Delaware +1300
Stony Brook +3000
Monmouth +3500
Northeastern +5000
Campbell +25000
William & Mary+50000
NC A&T +50000
Hampton +50000
Elon +50000

I honestly would be surprised if anyone other than Charleston won, although I suppose UNCW would take issue having beaten them twice. That being said, we are over a month removed from those results and Charleston seems to have hit a different gear since almost losing to William & Mary on February 3.

I didn't see any of our game against UNC-W, but it sounded very familiar. I will say that this team is capable of not showing up on Friday, but also very capable of taking down UNC-W to get to the semis. Past that it seems like a pretty tall order.

I think we are just as good as anyone outside of Charleston, but playing the extra game obviously makes a difference. Especially since we have a hard time stringing two good games in a row together led alone four. I only heard about Charles Thompsoson's headbutt so I don't want to comment on any part of it. Is there any sense if there will be any fallout in terms of suspensions for the conference tournament? 

21 minutes ago, Tiger93 said:

DraftKings Odds are:

Charleston +225
Hofstra +280
UNCW +380
Drexel +380
Towson +950
Delaware +1300
Stony Brook +3000
Monmouth +3500
Northeastern +5000
Campbell +25000
William & Mary+50000
NC A&T +50000
Hampton +50000
Elon +50000

I honestly would be surprised if anyone other than Charleston won, although I suppose UNCW would take issue having beaten them twice. That being said, we are over a month removed from those results and Charleston seems to have hit a different gear since almost losing to William & Mary on February 3.

I didn't see any of our game against UNC-W, but it sounded very familiar. I will say that this team is capable of not showing up on Friday, but also very capable of taking down UNC-W to get to the semis. Past that it seems like a pretty tall order.

I think we are just as good as anyone outside of Charleston, but playing the extra game obviously makes a difference. Especially since we have a hard time stringing two good games in a row together led alone four. I only heard about Charles Thompsoson's headbutt so I don't want to comment on any part of it. Is there any sense if there will be any fallout in terms of suspensions for the conference tournament? 

Didn’t hear much about it afterwards. It was light and the Hodge kid was fine. If he was hurt, he would definitely get suspended and would deserve it. But with the CAA, you never know. Guessing if that was Chase, he’d be done with his career .

11 minutes ago, Blounge said:

I put $1 on CofC and UNCW

Is the Saturday slate of tournament games Flosports only?

That makes some sense. You are basically betting on the winner of CofC/UNCW. I really have no idea what to expect from Towson, but something tells me we can take down UNCW in the quarters. Our style and poor shooting also leaves us vulnerable to keeping a game against William & Mary or NC A&T closer than it should be (although as TUTigers2012 pointed it earlier this week and as it played out, it feels like NC A&T is a good matchup for our strengths). 

I have confidence in this team to beat anyone in this conference outside of Charleston right now (we haven't been able to beat them the last two seasons when the chips were really on the table, not to take anything away form an impressive win early this season) in a one game setting. However, as we mentioned all year long I don't have confidence that they can close out a tight game against one of the top teams or that they can put together 2-3 good performances in a row (two has been hard enough).

I think we can be overly negative at times on the micro of this team on this board. They have played well at times (UMass, at Charleston, UNC-W at home and a decent amount of the home slate). The macro part of it is where much of the negativity is deserved. I don't seen any evidence that we are consistent enough to accomplish the goal we all want to see, and we are probably right where we are every March. I could have summoned more optimism if we only needed two wins to get to the conference tournament final, but the combination of needing four to win it and three to get to the final, along with being stuck on Charleston's side of the bracket makes it tough to be overly optimistic.

Still, this the third segment of the season. I would give us a C in non-conference. The UMass win probably moves it from D+ to C or so. I would say B- in conference play. The Hampton loss, which ultimately cost us the bye takes it down from a B. I think we need to wait until the conference tournament happens to judge overall. Even though I think we all have a sense for what is coming.  

I actually thought last year was one of our better conference tournament efforts from start to finish, but as usual it wasn't good enough. It might have been the most consistent level we have played at in the conference tournament under Skerry. Still, I have no argument for the lack of results in the CAA Tournament, which haunts this coach, this program and all of us fans. I just try to wipe the slate clean every March and bring us much positivity as I can to each one of these games. Once we find out who we play on Friday, Saturday's game is the business at hand and so so on. 

• Like 1