• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Tejada leads MBB over Elon 80-55

1 hour ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Exactly. Only thing I’ll say about tarke is, I enjoy him driving to the hoop to score or pass much more than the flat footed threes. These are the type of games we need from Charles against smaller teams. I have a feeling we are going to get Tejada or May or Williamson in a game not two or all three.    

If we start off slow at home in either of the last two games we will get boat-raced.  Im Sure Pat will run out the same lineup until we lose a game. I just would like a lowery, tarke, Suliman/May/Tejada pair and Charles lineup. Think that to start could set the tone defensively. 

Both games this week are big, and of course we are coming off short rest for Thursday. Good news is they can stay in their hotel wed night through Saturday with no travel in between. Road is tough..

Not staying in the same hotel the entire trip. After Thursday, going to a hotel in Norfolk. 

I forgot to throw a bouquet to Lowery, for scoring 6 points, grabbing 5 boards and dishing out 5 assists. He would have scored at or around 10 points, if he could only shoot free throws. He’s currently such a liability in that area that he can’t be on the court if a game is close at the end, which is a shame because he’s so good on D. He really needs to work on his foul shooting in the offseason 

I think Lowery is more of a power-forward or point-forward type. A longer, more athletic Cam. Hopefully add another 10-15 pounds. He's been working on his FTs and his hitch appears to be gone, but still not making them. I wouldn't worry about NIL with him yet but there's a ton of potential.  Tough to have him on floor when it matters, but kid had five assists. Should have had him in the Good part. 

And the band playing after the game with the singer.  Wow. That was great.  Super impressive 

Youth was served last night..  Dylan, TT, Lowery & May combined for 91 minutes of play!  Yes yes I know the portal the portal will be calling but how bout the recruitment of Tejada and how talented this core is…. minus some foul shooting and defensive prowess we pray develops in the coming years.  
Dare I say a formula going forward for us would be continuing to go after under recruited players and promising them a shot to prove themselves at Towson with a much better chance to move on to a Power 5 conference because of Towson development.   EG/Timberlake right now. 
Am I off here or should we as a program accept the current landscape and be even more transparent about it?!   I’m sure we quietly may be telling recruits this but why not market it kinda like Calipari does with guys coming to Kentucky with the promise of the NBA right after.  

18 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

And the band playing after the game with the singer.  Wow. That was great.  Super impressive 

Youth was served last night..  Dylan, TT, Lowery & May combined for 91 minutes of play!  Yes yes I know the portal the portal will be calling but how bout the recruitment of Tejada and how talented this core is…. minus some foul shooting and defensive prowess we pray develops in the coming years.  
Dare I say a formula going forward for us would be continuing to go after under recruited players and promising them a shot to prove themselves at Towson with a much better chance to move on to a Power 5 conference because of Towson development.   EG/Timberlake right now. 
Am I off here or should we as a program accept the current landscape and be even more transparent about it?!   I’m sure we quietly may be telling recruits this but why not market it kinda like Calipari does with guys coming to Kentucky with the promise of the NBA right after.  

Nothing we can do about it other than roll with the punches. Need NIL money to compete with the top of the conference. It won't matter who coaches the team as long we're spending like Stony Brook.

As for the freshmen, that's the key. The recruiting has gotten better since the days of Marquise Marshall, Jeff Prophete, Tyler Gill and even Tyler Coleman. You can afford a 13th man like Tyler, but you have to hit on a Tyler Tejada, Dylan Williamson, Christian May and Mekhi Lowery. Jaiden Cole is a huge ? mark. If they are not going to redshirt him, need to play him some meaningful minutes, especially when we go into a drought. Now last night, it looked like he was launching a frisbee or something with the arc on his shot. Not sure where that came from because his shot in practice and warm-ups look smooth.

But recruiting is everything and attempting to keep those guys will require money. Fortunately for NIL matters or unfortunately, all those guys listed have shown glimpses but have not been consistent. Bottom line is that you have to hit on most of these recruits. Embeya and Edefu make this team longer and more athletic. Hopeully Watson is healthy and he's a freak athlete even if he's 90% of what he once was. Need shooting to surround those guys. Need a bigger point guard, experienced center, Etc.  Also, need to get better transfers, but again, that requires more $$$. I do like Sulaiman as a role player, but have been disappointed with Jones' inconsistent production, misses around the basket and defensive issues on the perimeter. Nygal Russell wasn't bad last season, but Sekou Sylla was a disappointment. 

The future might be walk-on Jackson Prince. What a three-point shot last night! Great name. 

• Like 1

BTW, we piss on marketing all the time but kudos to Steve, Mike and all the marketing people for getting people out there last night, especially the students with the free pancakes. I know 2,100 isn't huge and that was probably paid, but the environment was really good despite a terrible start. More students means more excitement. I understand that people have to get up early the next day and so the non-student crowd for a 9:10 tip wasn't great to be kind.

• Like 1

That was a good "handle your business" game last night.  After a slow start they bounced back and didn't let Elon hang around.  Need these types of conference games every now and then especially with a couple of big roadies coming up.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

Need a bigger point guard, experienced center, Etc. 

I don’t want to look too far ahead, but if we can retain our key guys, we could have a nice squad next season, if the 2 incoming freshman are as advertised + Watson presumably coming back. But you’re right; what we don’t have yet is a PG or an experienced big to compliment the highly touted incoming freshman. I just worry our beer budget NIL will not be able to afford our champagne taste, as far as adding these missing pieces. 

10 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

BTW, we piss on marketing all the time but kudos to Steve, Mike and all the marketing people for getting people out there last night, especially the students with the free pancakes. I know 2,100 isn't huge and that was probably paid, but the environment was really good despite a terrible start. More students means more excitement. I understand that people have to get up early the next day and so the non-student crowd for a 9:10 tip wasn't great to be kind.

Agreed. For a rainy weeknight, with a Central Standard Time tipoff, it wasn’t bad. And the more students present does amp up the atmosphere. Only 2 home games left. I assume the finale, on a Saturday afternoon vs C of C, will be a big crowd. I hope we can get a good crowd on Thursday 2/22, vs Monmouth 

2 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

I don’t want to look too far ahead, but if we can retain our key guys, we could have a nice squad next season, if the 2 incoming freshman are as advertised + Watson presumably coming back. But you’re right; what we don’t have yet is a PG or an experienced big to compliment the highly touted incoming freshman. I just worry our beer budget NIL will not be able to afford our champagne taste, as far as adding these missing pieces. 

I like this team and think they have a shot at a top-four bid. But we also see the limitations when our leading scorer is in a slump, our best offensive player is an inconsistent freshman who doesn't play a lot of defense, our most athletic player can't make FTs, we still don't have a consistent starting point guard and our best transfer just got benched because he's jacking up a ton of threes a game.