• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Tejada leads MBB over Monmouth 80-61

https://towsontigers.com/news/2024/2/22/mens-basketball-tejada-scores-30-points-towson-mens-basketball-downs-monmouth-80-61.aspx

Freshman Tyler Tejada scored a career-high 30 points to lead the Tigers to an 80-61 victory over Monmouth before 1,910 at TU Arena. In their first meeting, Monmouth beat Towson 51-43 and this time, Towson had 44 points at the half. 

Mekhi Lowery did an outstanding job on Hawks' star guard Xander Rice, who was held to 4-17 shooting, though managed 16 points and three assists. With the win, Towson improved to 10-5 in the CAA and moved to a third-place tie with Drexel, who lost to 10-5 Hofstra tonight. Charleston improved to 12-3 and dropped Delaware to 9-6 after their 90-71 win.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mat1992 said:

https://towsontigers.com/news/2024/2/22/mens-basketball-tejada-scores-30-points-towson-mens-basketball-downs-monmouth-80-61.aspx

Freshman Tyler Tejada scored a career-high 30 points to lead the Tigers to an 80-61 victory over Monmouth before 1,910 at TU Arena. In their first meeting, Monmouth beat Towson 51-43 and this time, Towson had 44 points at the half. 

Mekhi Lowery did an outstanding job on Hawks' star guard Xander Rice, who was held to 4-17 shooting, though managed 16 points and three assists. With the win, Towson improved to 10-5 in the CAA and moved to a third-place tie with Drexel, who lost to 10-5 Hofstra tonight. Charleston improved to 12-3 and dropped Delaware to 9-6 after their 90-71 win.

You stole my thunder on the unsung hero tonight, Lowery. I tried to pay special attention to how he played Rice on D, and I came away very impressed. 

Not enough accolades to describe Tejada’s performance. He was on fire 🔥. Wonder when the last time a TU freshman dropped 30? Certainly a 1st under Skerry. 

CT with a solid overall game (7 points, 7 boards and 5 assists) and Jones & Sulaiman combined for 17 points and 11 rebounds.

Now, OTOH, May and Tarke shot a combined 2-12, for 9 points. Normally that’s not a recipe for success, but Tejada more than compensated for their scoring deficiencies tonight. 

Huge game Saturday vs C of C, before what should be a large, raucous crowd 

• Like 2

16-11 winning season! Throw the damn parade! Give the life time extension!
 In all seriousness good game especially by our role players.  Tejada was great offensively. And lowery did a number on rice.  Love a game when 24 doesn’t shoot and think he’s lebron james. Also messiah was great offensively atleast, when he actually payed 
too bad we hacked up a game Saturday or the games against Charleston and uncw could have been interesting. 

Edited by TuTigers2012

4 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

16-11 winning season! Throw the damn parade! Give the life time extension!
 In all seriousness good game especially by our role players.  Tejada was great offensively. And lowery did a number on rice.  Love a game when 24 doesn’t shoot and think he’s lebron james. Also messiah was great offensively atleast, when he actually payed 
too bad we hacked up a game Saturday or the games against Charleston and uncw could have been interesting. 

17-11. Notwithstanding the Hampton fiasco, we’re still in play for a top 4 finish. Not sure why you say the games against C of C & UNCW won’t be interesting in that regard. I’m not willing to bet the mortgage we beat C of C Saturday, but it’s not out of the realm of possibility either. 

• Like 1

Ok, no good bad and ugly. Mostly good tonight

*Towson stayed in the race for the top four by winning easily tonight. As bad as the previous loss was, this is a pretty resilient team.

*Tyler Tejada was fantastic tonight, going 10-of-15 from the field, 4-of-7 from beyond the arc, grabbing 6 boards. As good a game as a freshman that I've ever seen at Towson..

*Messiah Jones and Sulaiman combined for 17 points and 11 rebounds at the 4 spot

*Outstanding defense in Xavier Rice, especially from Lowery (4-for-17).

*Transition offense was pretty ugly with Tejada and May trying to run the break, but at least we're running more.

*Some strange shots down the stretch with May launching an ill-advised shot with about 17 seconds on the shot clock under 4:00 left up 20.

*Lowery, Tejada and Williamson all showed some potential for the present and future. Dylan hit 2 threes and they were needed considering he's been slumping some. Lowery's defense was at another level tonight as he got in Rice's head a bit where he had to resort to fakes and quick shots against him.

• Like 1

I don't want to continue to jump on certain players, but yes, 24 has been disappointing. His defense was not bad early tonight against Rice, but you see the difference in the second half when he gave up a 3 and Lowery came in and did Lowery things. I said it last season about that team. Not a enough length aside from Charles especially on the perimeter. Lowery just makes a huge difference. A few more lengthy guys would have helped, but I digress. 

Who knows what Tejada will do Saturday? He's not going to score 30, but we could use a big performance again from him and something offensive from Tarke/May. In that first meeting, May had 20 on 5-of-7 from 3pt and Tarke had 18 points, seven rebounds and five assists (7-16 FG0, 2-5 3pt). Tejada had six points and Williamson had 13. We had 82 points but could have had a little more had we not gone 12 of 22 from the line (Dylan 1 of 6). 

• Like 1

This is more like it.  Given the lives we’ve led as fans of this program, I will never take a winning season for granted.  But if some want to continue putting asterisks on wins, so be it.  I didn’t see or hear any of the game.  Got back to the car and saw the score and smiled.  This is building block #1 and it’s great they were able to flush Saturday’s performance.  Now go finish the home season strong on Saturday.  That one I ain’t missing. 

• Like 1