• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

Charleston overwhelms MBB on Senior Day 72-56

39 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Not much that can be added. We were thoroughly outclassed on both sides of the floor. I’ve been preaching that we need scorers, and today was Exhibit A in that argument. Either our coach is unwilling, or unable, to adapt his strategy.  You can only go so far with the “play hard D and crash the boards” strategy. (Frankly, I’m not sure how good the D has even been this year, but when you play as painfully slow as we do, the opponent’s ppg naturally will be low, simply because they don’t get that many possessions).  This antiquated system is good enough to beat up on the Campbell’s and Stony Brook’s of the world, but that’s about it. 

We’ve got Williamson and Tarke going forward, as far as guys who’ve shown flashes on the offensive end. I’m not sure you can really count May, although in fairness I will say it took until Timberlake’s 3rd year until he avg’d in double digits. I’m of the mind that Skerry almost has to blow most of the roster up and bring in new players, except I have almost no confidence the new guys will be any different than the guys who depart-a bunch of guys who look imposing walking through the airport, but can’t throw a beach ball in the ocean. 

4th place is slipping away, if it already hasn’t done so. Best case scenario on the upcoming road trip is a split, though I wouldn’t be surprised if we went 0-2. I’m resigned to a relatively quick exit from the tournament and then the Groundhog Day exercise of hoping we’ll finally have enough skilled offensive players to get to the promised land. I keep waiting, and waiting and waiting. 

Defense isn’t good. It’s masked by the slowness. We need to blow up the roster again (say this every year but give the coach a pass 🤷‍♂️ )

road trip? Guaranteed 0-2. 3 road wins all year. Whatever seed we are, we will lose the first game 

13 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

but we need to get some guards to help them out. We can talk more about that in the general thread, because it's that time of the year again.

Isn’t it sad that most of us, if we’re being honest with ourselves, are already thinking about next season already 

• Sad 3

9 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Isn’t it sad that most of us, if we’re being honest with ourselves, are already thinking about next season already 

At the end of the skerry cycle, where we crash and burn. 13 years and counting 

If the reality is we have Skerry until the end of his current contract and he’s absolutely convinced that his philosophy and coaching style is the only way to do it, then we’re essentially cooked as a program for a while.

Having said that, if he could do ANYTHING at all to change the trajectory of this program and get us over the hump in the future, perhaps he needs to consider a full-time sports psychologist. I’m beginning to believe that our program suffers from an inferiority complex. These are reasonably athletic and capable players as we’ve seen in several of their wins this season. They just seem to shrink in certain games and situations….including free throws. It’s as if they fear prosperity. One step forward, two steps back. They could maybe benefit from some time with a good shrink. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AtlantaTiger said:

If the reality is we have Skerry until the end of his current contract and he’s absolutely convinced that his philosophy and coaching style is the only way to do it, then we’re essentially cooked as a program for a while.

Having said that, if he could do ANYTHING at all to change the trajectory of this program and get us over the hump in the future, perhaps he needs to consider a full-time sports psychologist. I’m beginning to believe that our program suffers from an inferiority complex. These are reasonably athletic and capable players as we’ve seen in several of their wins this season. They just seem to shrink in certain games and situations….including free throws. It’s as if they fear prosperity. One step forward, two steps back. They could maybe benefit from some time with a good shrink. 

I know that Bob Rotella came and met with our baseball team!

• Like 1

I really hope Tarke doesn't come back next year. As has been noted in other threads, he's slow-footed and seems to get his shot blocked more often than not when going to the basket. As for those long-range bricks he throws up ... he even managed an airball on one attempt today. To my mind, he adds next to nothing to our lineup. At least Williamson has some moves when driving and also mixes in a fairly accurate step-back shot.

And, at the risk of sounding too dreary, I have NO HOPE of us reaching the NCAAs this decade. Nothing has changed with this coach, and nothing will. The AD is happy that we got 4,300 people into the arena today -- even if a third of them were kids showing their autism solidarity. I doubt there were 100 students in the "student section." The fact that we'll finish with a (barely) winning record will qualify this year as a success.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TigerFan54 said:

I really hope Tarke doesn't come back next year. As has been noted in other threads, he's slow-footed and seems to get his shot blocked more often than not when going to the basket. As for those long-range bricks he throws up ... he even managed an airball on one attempt today. To my mind, he adds next to nothing to our lineup. At least Williamson has some moves when driving and also mixes in a fairly accurate step-back shot.

And, at the risk of sounding too dreary, I have NO HOPE of us reaching the NCAAs this decade. Nothing has changed with this coach, and nothing will. The AD is happy that we got 4,300 people into the arena today -- even if a third of them were kids showing their autism solidarity. I doubt there were 100 students in the "student section." The fact that we'll finish with a (barely) winning record will qualify this year as a success.

Cannot agree more. Add in he isn’t good defensively. The black and gold glass wearers will say “meac dpoty!”  Haven’t seen it. He’s not. Maybe he’s injured?

There is no hope at making it to a final let alone the NCAA with this staff. Plain and simple.  Unfortunately you’re right about the AD and students today. It’s pathetic that a school with 22k can’t get 200+ students out. He’s ecstatic about the state of the program, like some on here, and just shrug their shoulders and say “he’s done a lot and deserves it! Nothing we can do”

26 minutes ago, TigerFan54 said:

Students section was close to filled by the early part of the game. Not sure about the "autism solidarity" and how many people were there, but that's every year and we don't get 4,300 every year. Rip on the team all you want but the crowd was the only positive. Not sure you you turn that into a negative.

21 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Cannot agree more. Add in he isn’t good defensively. The black and gold glass wearers will say “meac dpoty!”  Haven’t seen it. He’s not. Maybe he’s injured?

There is no hope at making it to a final let alone the NCAA with this staff. Plain and simple.  Unfortunately you’re right about the AD and students today. It’s pathetic that a school with 22k can’t get 200+ students out. He’s ecstatic about the state of the program, like some on here, and just shrug their shoulders and say “he’s done a lot and deserves it! Nothing we can do”

Tarke was supposed to be good defensively. He did earn MEAC All-Defensive team twice and led the nation in steals in one year. Maybe he's a little heavy and the fact that we don't press is a reason why he doesn't get as many steals per game (Coppin pressed and was 19th in tempo). But Tarke's defense isn't the big problem. It's his offense, his shot selection, his lack of passing when he started out like Jason Kidd, his lack of explosiveness, his lack of finishing, and his shooting. He's been banged up but I don't think he's had a serious injury. He just seems a lot slower than expected, again going back to lack of speed and athleticism overall on this team.