• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

General Basketball Thread for 2024-25

43 minutes ago, Tiger93 said:

I have two points where I would challenge your post. 

From 1996-97 through 2011-12 we finished higher than 7th in the conference twice, went to one conference tournament semifinal and were ever were above .500. Since 2012-13, we have finished over .500 10 times, have been fifth or better 10 times, and advanced to five semifinals. I completely agree with you all that none of it is acceptable without an NCAA Tournament berth. However, at least I have optimism that we can be a good team and try to avoid choking as opposed to knowing we would be one of the worst teams in the conference and would have not shot to be in the mix come conference tournament time. This is not meant to be sticking up Skerry, because I would agree while I appreciate what he has done we overdue for a tournament appearance (heck, I think he would admit it too). However, I am just saying from a fan's standpoint it has been much easier to root for and travel to see games know we at least have a decent to good squad most years. 

This last point would have more ground to stand on if our conference could ever win a conference tournament game, but admittedly at this point it is hypothetical exercise because how pathetic it has been. Based on your points of winning it all being the only result that matters, I would say conference play and non-conference play matter even more. If the goal is to get to an NCAA Tournament, then it should also be to be seeded as good as possible to have the best possible chance to win and accomplish as much as possible. The year Drexel and Delaware made it they had flimsy resumes and got 16 and 15 seeds where they got crushed. Charleston has managed to get 13 and 14, and even a 12 seed. This theoretically gives them a better chance to do well and if our conference wasn't such a joke in NCAA Tournament play this would make a difference. To get a better seed, you have to play well in the regular-season (especially in a one-bid-league). 

Again, I don't say this to stick up for any particular coach or administrator, or to "accept mediocrity". To me, it is just common sense that to get to where we want to be as fans, this program needs to play well in non-conference play, be good in CAA play, and win in the conference tournament. We are 1 for 3 for the most part  recently. Not acceptable, but better than 0-3. Whether it is with or without this coach, we need to figure out the other two elements. How we all perceive the journey to get there is merely a matter of opinion. 

Completely understand what you’re saying.  But being ok with 1 for 3 and not making that next “jump”, is the problem.  “Hey it could be worse”. Yes it could. But sure as hell could be better, ask every team in our league whose played for a chance to go to the tournament in the past 10 years 

40 minutes ago, Tiger93 said:

This does not exist. You merely make this up that there are those (on this board at least) who celebrate this.

Ummm. What?!  You forgot to mention, April fools

2 hours ago, TSU88 said:

There are at least two posters who have recently posted, either explicitly or implicitly, that 20 W’s is a sign of success, regardless of how we do in the postseason.I’lll thank you to do your research better moving forward before you accuse me of making things up & putting words in peoples mouths 

Fair enough that there are a couple, but you all often make it seem like you are the only crusaders who care if you win on a board full of people who are indifferent. Feel free to accuse me of taking it personally, but I don't think very many of us are alright where things are right now. However, I also think there are a lot of us who can see some of the good in it too. You can be in between without "celebrating" 20 wins. I would also say even the posts you are referring too are not people who are saying everything is great. They are just saying everything doesn't suck. We aren't all going to agree with each other that is alright. 

Edited by Tiger93
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Completely understand what you’re saying.  But being ok with 1 for 3 and not making that next “jump”, is the problem.  “Hey it could be worse”. Yes it could. But sure as hell could be better, ask every team in our league whose played for a chance to go to the tournament in the past 10 years 

I guess the disconnect is that I don't think we are alright with 1 of 3. I think we are just saying that being 38-16 in conference play in three years is a good thing and it is more fun to watch than 29-29 or worse. It is not good enough, but I also don't think it should be dismissed.

I also think as a whole there is a lot that needs to be better, and we should all expect more if we want to get there. I don't see why both things can't be true. However, we have this conversation every offseason and I doubt we will ever agree. Ultimately, we all want the same things for this program. However, we will have all of these "agree to disagree" semantics until the job gets done. I look forward to what the topic can be the day after that happens. I guess that is part of what keeps us coming back here. That, and I am guessing a passion for wanting this program to break through its 33-year (soon to be 34) old ceiling. 

1 hour ago, Tiger93 said:

I guess the disconnect is that I don't think we are alright with 1 of 3. I think we are just saying that being 38-16 in conference play in three years is a good thing and it is more fun to watch than 29-29 or worse. It is not good enough, but I also don't think it should be dismissed.

I also think as a whole there is a lot that needs to be better, and we should all expect more if we want to get there. I don't see why both things can't be true. However, we have this conversation every offseason and I doubt we will ever agree. Ultimately, we all want the same things for this program. However, we will have all of these "agree to disagree" semantics until the job gets done. I look forward to what the topic can be the day after that happens. I guess that is part of what keeps us coming back here. That, and I am guessing a passion for wanting this program to break through its 33-year (soon to be 34) old ceiling. 

Not a personal attack. You are more towards the middle, but saying people aren’t happy with a winning season or 20 wins, is just false. Not saying it was you.  I’m not digging that far back but two years ago there were a few posters that would rather 27-5 and a first round exit than 15-19, a CAAT championship and a trip to the tournament

I too hope that we get to the point where we talk about dancing rather than 18 and 19^ (no asterisks here only carrots!) wins

42 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Not a personal attack. You are more towards the middle, but saying people aren’t happy with a winning season or 20 wins, is just false. Not saying it was you.  I’m not digging that far back but two years ago there were a few posters that would rather 27-5 and a first round exit than 15-19, a CAAT championship and a trip to the tournament

I too hope that we get to the point where we talk about dancing rather than 18 and 19^ (no asterisks here only carrots!) wins

I might have said that. Of course, I would accept an NCAA Tournament under any circumstance. However, other than the tournament I don't see much appealing about winning 15 games, getting a 16 seed and getting slaughtered. I think winning as many games as possible (there is nothing automatically magical about the 20-win mark if you don't beat anyone good), having a quality conference record, a good NET ranking and getting to the NCAA Tournament with as good a seed as possible are all important goals. I don't think we should have to compromise on any of them. I definitely was on the side of saying 2021-22 was not a failure because of winning 25 games, having a top 85 or so NET and tying for a regular-season conference crown.

This is a different argument in my mind since that was a historically great regular-season for this program. The 21-12 and 20-14 records of the last two years came with so-so if not bad non-conference slates, and finishing fourth and fifth is not bad but also not something to get overly excited about. This is where I agree with you all about a season not meeting expectations. Just because we get to 20 wins there is nothing to get excited about. I also assume that view is shared by many on here. 

I guess where I am coming from is I don't think that 15 wins and an NCAA Tournament or 27-5 and no NCAA Tournament is a choice we should have to make. I would also say that if we made the NCAA Tournament and got this monkey off our back, I might actually pick option two the next year. I think boiling the whole season down to three or four conference tournament games has just as much mediocrity attached to it as accepting 20+ wins and a good conference record with no tournament bid. Why does that have to be a choice, why can't we do what Charleston has done the last two years or what Oakland did this year? These are the aspirations I have for this program. 

This was the argument we went back and forth on a couple of years ago. I still haven't changed my mind, but we haven't come close to repeating the 2021-22 season the last two years and I mostly agree with being disappointed in the last two years. Although, our conference tournament efforts were much better than 2022 which was very disappointing.  

East Coast Earthquakes-    2  Number of Times Towson has been to the NCAA Tournament Since 1991- 0

Sorry couldn't resist the low hanging fruit.  Bay Area Tiger we just sampled a small taste of the California life.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Blazer49 said:

East Coast Earthquakes-    2  Number of Times Towson has been to the NCAA Tournament Since 1991- 0

Sorry couldn't resist the low hanging fruit.  Bay Area Tiger we just sampled a small taste of the California life.  

Pray we didn’t lose a possible recruit because of this natural disaster! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

Bible Broadcasting Network?!

He’s facetiously talking about Kentucky, AKA “Big Blue Nation.” Calipiari has taken the head coaching position at Arkansas. Should be interesting when the Razorbacks travel to Lexington to play. Will also be interesting to see who UK hires as their new coach