• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

General Basketball Thread for 2024-25

5 hours ago, TSU88 said:

At the risk of getting excoriated by 1 or 2 people on the board, this is the natural evolution of things. Kelsey stayed a few years at C of C, got them to the tournament 2X, used C of C as a lily pad to a bigger job. And C of C will simply go out and try to get the next Kelsey. Rinse, wash, repeat. 

That's the sign you're a great mid-major program -- have a guy get you to the promised land and then they get hired by a basketball desert and they flame out in 3 years while you reload with another young up-and-comer and do it again a couple years later.  Not many successful mid-majors outside of Gonzaga keep their coaches around longer than 1-2 years after they go to the Tournament since everyone likes to snap up the hot name.  Few realized what he had in Spokane and wasn't swayed by crap programs in major conferences throwing big money figures at him.  You can't blame these guys from a bank account perspective but some of the decisions from a basketball perspective didn't pan out.  

16 hours ago, TSU88 said:

At the risk of getting excoriated by 1 or 2 people on the board, this is the natural evolution of things. Kelsey stayed a few years at C of C, got them to the tournament 2X, used C of C as a lily pad to a bigger job. And C of C will simply go out and try to get the next Kelsey. Rinse, wash, repeat. 

Everyone on this board would sign up to have such a problem.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chris Datres said:

That's the sign you're a great mid-major program -- have a guy get you to the promised land and then they get hired by a basketball desert and they flame out in 3 years while you reload with another young up-and-comer and do it again a couple years later.  Not many successful mid-majors outside of Gonzaga keep their coaches around longer than 1-2 years after they go to the Tournament since everyone likes to snap up the hot name.  Few realized what he had in Spokane and wasn't swayed by crap programs in major conferences throwing big money figures at him.  You can't blame these guys from a bank account perspective but some of the decisions from a basketball perspective didn't pan out.  

Agree but keep in mind that Gonzaga going back 20 years ago has had a private jet 🛩️ for their flights and a paint company owner who has gone above and beyond to give that program everything they need and Few loves his fly fishing 🎣 

18 hours ago, TSU88 said:

I agree, but just like Gonzaga is the exception not the rule I would also say it is more common that middling or crappy programs (I would put us in a solid middling category) try to find that superstar coach who will eventually move on to greener pastures and make the program better, and strike out on one or many occasions. This doesn't mean teams shouldn't try to do it, but I do think there is a misconception that you can just get rid of the current coach (not specific to Towson, just a general comment) and magically hire a superstar coach just like that. It is more likely you will hire a dud or just continue mediocrity. Who is making the hire and what the program is doing to make sure whoever they hire can be set up for success is just as big as who you hire. I am not saying anything we don't all know, but I do think this process can be made to seem easier than it is sometimes. 

5 minutes ago, Tiger93 said:

I agree, but just like Gonzaga is the exception not the rule I would also say it is more common that middling or crappy programs (I would put us in a solid middling category) try to find that superstar coach who will eventually move on to greener pastures and make the program better, and strike out on one or many occasions. This doesn't mean teams shouldn't try to do it, but I do think there is a misconception that you can just get rid of the current coach (not specific to Towson, just a general comment) and magically hire a superstar coach just like that. It is more likely you will hire a dud or just continue mediocrity. Who is making the hire and what the program is doing to make sure whoever they hire can be set up for success is just as big as who you hire. I am not saying anything we don't all know, but I do think this process can be made to seem easier than it is sometimes. 

I don't think anyone on here said it was a sure thing, easier or that it will always work out.  It won't but that doesn't mean you can be afraid to make a change and go out of your comfort zone (SOT mentality).  We know what we have and it's fine, average, some good seasons.  If you aren't willing to risk it all, the reward is much smaller.  UNCW is successful, but has many bad hires in between the good (Benny and Buzz after Brownell, and C.B. after Keatts). But they are willing to cut their mistakes and move on, quickly. 

There is no reason a coach at Towson University should stay for 10+ years. But yet, until last year we had three with Ambrose, Skerry and Nadaline. They should either win and move or on lose and be fired. Middling "success" leading to no other opportunities equates to stagnate status quo. The fact that they were not on short term contracts, is mind boggling.  Hopefully athletics knows, you can place buy outs in contracts..  

28 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

I don't think anyone on here said it was a sure thing, easier or that it will always work out.  It won't but that doesn't mean you can be afraid to make a change and go out of your comfort zone (SOT mentality).  We know what we have and it's fine, average, some good seasons.  If you aren't willing to risk it all, the reward is much smaller.  UNCW is successful, but has many bad hires in between the good (Benny and Buzz after Brownell, and C.B. after Keatts). But they are willing to cut their mistakes and move on, quickly. 

There is no reason a coach at Towson University should stay for 10+ years. But yet, until last year we had three with Ambrose, Skerry and Nadaline. They should either win and move or on lose and be fired. Middling "success" leading to no other opportunities equates to stagnate status quo. The fact that they were not on short term contracts, is mind boggling.  Hopefully athletics knows, you can place buy outs in contracts..  

I completely agree and I did not meant to say we should or shouldn't do it. I just think in general people oversimplify how easy it is to find a coach. It doesn't work out as often as people make it seem like it does. I am really not ever referencing our current situation as much as just the general concept. However, of course it is relevant and we obviously refer to it almost every week on this message board in some way, shape or form. 

• Like 1

I don’t feel like looking around for the GOH Collective page. And since this one’s getting the most traction, I’ll ask here … is there a list of businesses that contribute to it/sponsor players?  Can the publish that information? Would assume so. But I want to support those businesses who support our student athletes.  I know of hunt valley bagels, pure raw juice. I think THB?

I think Towson should do another Zoom meeting about NIL for football and basketball to explain about giving to NIL. What it means and what's the difference between giving to TAF (Tiger Athletic Fund) and the TU Collective for NIL. From my understanding, these sponsors are mainly about giving these kids their products. There is not a ton of $$$ involved, but I don't know the exact details. In other words, we have to, for the current coach and future coach, to buck up and make payments towards NIL. I'm not saying pay something that you can't afford. I give a monthly/yearly fee in NIL for both sports because I want to do and I feel if I'm going to talk the talk, I better walk the walk. My understanding is that not everyone is on board with paying student-athletes. That's not even an assumption. It's the truth and I get it, but it's an arms race. If the few wealthy donors we have and the rest who can afford a modest amount, are not willing to give a nice sum for NIL, we're going to miss out on key transfers and will end up with the "meh" players we've added over the last two seasons (Jones, Tarke, Sulaiman, Sylla, Russell). I think what we have available is good enough to retain most of our young returners.

https://towsontigers.com/feature/TowsonNIL?path=nil

https://gohcollective.com/

https://gohcollective.doubleknot.com/registration/donate.aspx?activitykey=2973795

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Having the NIL all-stars won’t mean anything if they’re not developed correctly or toss up dud efforts.  Supposed ‘meh’ players can be turned into all-conference players with the right development.  We’ve failed with that. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chris Datres said:

Having the NIL all-stars won’t mean anything if they’re not developed correctly or toss up dud efforts.  Supposed ‘meh’ players can be turned into all-conference players with the right development.  We’ve failed with that. 

I think some players are just limited physically. Sylla, Russell, Sulaiman and Jones were not going to average 16 and 8 with great coaching. Jones is also limited athletically so he’s going to struggle defensively on the perimeter. However, he played mostly center at Wofford despite his lack of height. They should have used him there more last season.

I also think pace of play not only limits turnovers on your end but also production on the offensive end