• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

General Basketball Thread for 2024-25

5 hours ago, Blazer49 said:

Sounds like it might be a half a step up from the adult men's league games I ref in Delaware!  Wonder how he is going to spend his $200 Foot Locker voucher.

I wanna know more about this league you're reffing in Delaware and just how much crap you get from those guys on the court.

16 hours ago, Chris Datres said:

I wanna know more about this league you're reffing in Delaware and just how much crap you get from those guys on the court.

OMG Chris, it is a men's league in Wilmington, actually they play in the 76ers G-League facility.  Age range I would guess is 20's to 40's.  Some decent talent, there is a guy who is going to play at Sacred Heart University next season.  But mostly it is usually an "organized" pickup game as depending on how close the game is fatigue sets in at some point usually mid-way second half or sometimes even first half and the cherry picking starts and it can look like a lacrosse and where it appears only a certain number of players can play on either end of the court.  

Few Notes:

1) Every single player thinks they are LeBron James.  Not as much talent wise but they have the attitude of on offense every time they shoot and miss they were fouled.  I told a guy once that if he was on the playground and he called a foul on that play they would laugh him off the court. On the defensive end they never committed a foul their entire life.

2) THREE separate occasions had guys while their team was on offense turn to me and point at a defender in the lane telling me to call defensive 3 seconds. Dude just because we are playing on a G-League court doesn't mean we are playing G-League/NBA rules.

3) I wear glasses which is never good for an official in a player's eyes, so I have been told multiple times that either my glasses are broken or they don't work.

As I am sure you know Chris, they will try to intimidate you, but once they realize you are not about their BS they eventually shut up and "play".

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Blazer49 said:

OMG Chris, it is a men's league in Wilmington, actually they play in the 76ers G-League facility.  Age range I would guess is 20's to 40's.  Some decent talent, there is a guy who is going to play at Sacred Heart University next season.  But mostly it is usually an "organized" pickup game as depending on how close the game is fatigue sets in at some point usually mid-way second half or sometimes even first half and the cherry picking starts and it can look like a lacrosse and where it appears only a certain number of players can play on either end of the court.  

Few Notes:

1) Every single player thinks they are LeBron James.  Not as much talent wise but they have the attitude of on offense every time they shoot and miss they were fouled.  I told a guy once that if he was on the playground and he called a foul on that play they would laugh him off the court. On the defensive end they never committed a foul their entire life.

2) THREE separate occasions had guys while their team was on offense turn to me and point at a defender in the lane telling me to call defensive 3 seconds. Dude just because we are playing on a G-League court doesn't mean we are playing G-League/NBA rules.

3) I wear glasses which is never good for an official in a player's eyes, so I have been told multiple times that either my glasses are broken or they don't work.

As I am sure you know Chris, they will try to intimidate you, but once they realize you are not about their BS they eventually shut up and "play".

Fortunately, I only deal with HS and below.  There isn't enough money to pay me to work adult league games.  I did it for baseball when I first started at age 22 and wow, the crying that would be involved in some situations.  I think if you also played the game, you get a better perspective as an official as to what the player and/or coach is complaining about but there are some times, I've wanted to turn to a whining coach and be like, 'if you'd like to switch spots, I know I could draw up a better offensive set than whatever it is you're running right now'.  I also wear glasses on the court and once had a kid react to a foul call by looking at his coach and saying 'he even wears glasses too'.  That was maybe the easiest T I've ever given out.  To the kid's credit, he did apologize at halftime for it.

• Like 1

So there was the Instagram post a couple of days ago from the men’s basketball team announcing the jersey numbers for the incoming players this fall. I almost fell out of my chair when I saw “Skerry #22”. 

What recruiting news did I apparently miss over the last few months? Does Skerry’s son play for us now? I’m really confused.  Someone please explain.

13 hours ago, AtlantaTiger said:

So there was the Instagram post a couple of days ago from the men’s basketball team announcing the jersey numbers for the incoming players this fall. I almost fell out of my chair when I saw “Skerry #22”. 

What recruiting news did I apparently miss over the last few months? Does Skerry’s son play for us now? I’m really confused.  Someone please explain.

Ryan is a 6-4 sophomore from Dulaney HS who is a walk on. He was in school last season and decided not to play as a freshman. No offense to Ryan, but didn’t think it was really worth bringing up that the coach’s son is a walk on. Happens a lot though this is the first time I’ve covered this situation but you know PS doesn’t play walk ons. They are important in practice though 

16 hours ago, mat1992 said:

Ryan is a 6-4 sophomore from Dulaney HS who is a walk on. He was in school last season and decided not to play as a freshman. No offense to Ryan, but didn’t think it was really worth bringing up that the coach’s son is a walk on. Happens a lot though this is the first time I’ve covered this situation but you know PS doesn’t play walk ons. They are important in practice though 

No different from Stephen Izzo at Michigan State or Hurley's kid at UCONN.  Well, maybe a bit different because they actually blow out D1 teams so the walk-ons get a little run.

Bronny James wouldn’t be the high scorer on our Towson squad this coming season.  
Go ahead and waste that second round pick Danny…. 
You’ll be no different than the other head coaches LeBron controlled.