• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
TuTigers2012

Close Game Losses/Other Numbers

Avert your eyes Tigers Fans (at least to the ones that don't already have their heads in the sand about this program). Had some extra time in the office today and did some stat digging.  Some of these are depressing and mind numbing.

There have been some nice comeback wins along the way, and I am sure the Pat supporters will post them (Hope you do!), but this is about the blown leads, close losses, almost had it, and what should have been. 

From the last few regular seasons.  ^^ (because we can't do asterisks on here!)  is the highest % in the second half, not always at time of biggest lead.

image.png.619da8915a6e8edd0da4702ec1b5e1e1.png

CAA Tournament Losses (All 11)  ^^ (Again no asterisks here!) Does Not Include 2020/2021 COVID Game. That was a blow out the entire game.

image.png.f6fdc774358f23ee6a457d93734a9651.png

In our CAAT Games since Benimon we have scored:

56, 66, 67, 86, 72, 68, 56, 48, 62, 73, 66, 59, 82, 60, 69^    ^OT game, 62 in Regulation.  More games under 57 then over 81... We can have the best defense around, but with scoring numbers like those, you aren't going to win multiple games many times. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Avert your eyes Tigers Fans (at least to the ones that don't already have their heads in the sand about this program). Had some extra time in the office today and did some stat digging.  Some of these are depressing and mind numbing.

There have been some nice comeback wins along the way, and I am sure the Pat supporters will post them (Hope you do!), but this is about the blown leads, close losses, almost had it, and what should have been. 

From the last few regular seasons.  ^^ (because we can't do asterisks on here!)  is the highest % in the second half, not always at time of biggest lead.

CAA Tournament Losses (All 11)  ^^ (Again no asterisks here!) Does Not Include 2020/2021 COVID Game. That was a blow out the entire game.

56, 66, 67, 86, 72, 68, 56, 48, 62, 73, 66, 59, 82, 60, 69^    ^OT game, 62 in Regulation.  More games under 57 then over 81... We can have the best defense around, but with scoring numbers like those, you aren't going to win multiple games many times. 

Good grief, this is depressing. Now my case of Skerry Derangement Syndrome is acute. The only cure would be a new coach. I’m doomed 

17 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Kid has been in more championship games in the last 370 days than we have in 30 years...

He lives a good life that Johnny Kelsey

that 2016 Maryland game just kills me - up 13 in the second half. talk about what could have been a program changing win.  I was at the game and I remember Maryland had to call a timeout in the first half and all the Towson fans spread out in Comcast stood up and got loud. It was awesome, we had so many fans there and to see all the twerp fans losing their minds 😁.... then we proceed to blow it.

the color guy during the CofC game still it super well - playing not to lose vs playing to win. we play not to lose and thus do most of the time.

bay area said it in the other thread: we have alums that want to believe and turn on, go to, the big games. You see it when we play power 5 schools in MBB and FB; when we made the FB championship game, the CAA tournament. People post pictures of their TVs along the lines of 'here we go' and what Towson goes full Towson and chokes. At some point give the alumni base something to cheer about, something to remember, something to talk about new since 1991.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, TheGoldCrotchPiece said:

that 2016 Maryland game just kills me - up 13 in the second half. talk about what could have been a program changing win.  I was at the game and I remember Maryland had to call a timeout in the first half and all the Towson fans spread out in Comcast stood up and got loud. It was awesome, we had so many fans there and to see all the twerp fans losing their minds 😁.... then we proceed to blow it.

the color guy during the CofC game still it super well - playing not to lose vs playing to win. we play not to lose and thus do most of the time.

bay area said it in the other thread: we have alums that want to believe and turn on, go to, the big games. You see it when we play power 5 schools in MBB and FB; when we made the FB championship game, the CAA tournament. People post pictures of their TVs along the lines of 'here we go' and what Towson goes full Towson and chokes. At some point give the alumni base something to cheer about, something to remember, something to talk about new since 1991.

Same. camelo thimble went to the line like 27 times the second half. Stripes weren’t letting us leave with a win

Lady selling beer at the cart said “you’ll need a lot of these today” and chuckled looking at my hoodie and hat. Went back right before half and she looked like she saw a ghost 

• Like 1

On 3/13/2024 at 3:09 PM, TuTigers2012 said:

I was on vacation last week and didn't get a chance to post much in the aftermath of our loss. Great job collecting all of this in one place! I find it interested that 16 of these came in what has been a pretty good regular-season run for the program the last three years, and it leads to my biggest criticism even more than not making the tournament which is the struggle to meet the moment with so many opportunity for big program wins in the regular-season (where the pressure should be less).

I know we mostly focus on the tournament, but wins at Hofstra and vs. Wake Forest this year, too many to count last year (Navy, at Wake, at Hofstra, at Drexel, at Charleston) and at Pitt, at Drexel and USF in 2021-22 could have done a lot for the program or conference results in all of those years and we weren't able to close it out. Honestly, I would have to imagine even Skerry would admit fault to the amount of times we just haven't gotten over the hump (although I don't now what that would accomplish. 

Like most stats, I would have to see the other end of this with some of the comebacks, good performances, and how this stacks up with the Hofstras, Drexels and Wilmingtons of the world who have pulled their number of choke jobs during this stretch too. However, all of those teams definitely have more breakthrough (quality non-conference wins) than us. As you said, it is up to the people who care to defend Skerry to come up with the other end of the argument. I am somewhere in the middle so I may or may not take the bait to do that. 

TGCP, thanks for bringing up the Maryland game. That has definitely been lost in time, but there were some good moments in that game. I think what has been so frustrating during the Skerry era is there are so many moments during the game where he makes you proud of the team/program, but not nearly as many actual results that do the same.

It is impossible not to be hugely disappointed in the way the Charleston game ended last week. Playing not to lose is an understatement. I know I will get panned for this opinion, but I do see a little progress in the way this team has played effort-wise the last two tournaments as opposed to some of the complete no-shows that happened previously.

It still isn't good enough, but I do think there is ever so-slight progress. What it amounts to I have no idea (I am sure most on here have a more definitive opinion that I can't really argue).

The really frustrating part to me is this was not a great Charleston team (maybe I will be proven wrong in the NCAA Tournament and the conference can finally win a game), but Towson was better on the day and once again that was not represented in the final score. To your original point, and you will get no argument from me, even though we have been good we haven't closed the door against good teams when it matters very much under Skerry.  

25 minutes ago, Tiger93 said:

I was on vacation last week and didn't get a chance to post much in the aftermath of our loss. Great job collecting all of this in one place! I find it interested that 16 of these came in what has been a pretty good regular-season run for the program the last three years, and it leads to my biggest criticism even more than not making the tournament which is the struggle to meet the moment with so many opportunity for big program wins in the regular-season (where the pressure should be less).

I know we mostly focus on the tournament, but wins at Hofstra and vs. Wake Forest this year, too many to count last year (Navy, at Wake, at Hofstra, at Drexel, at Charleston) and at Pitt, at Drexel and USF in 2021-22 could have done a lot for the program or conference results in all of those years and we weren't able to close it out. Honestly, I would have to imagine even Skerry would admit fault to the amount of times we just haven't gotten over the hump (although I don't now what that would accomplish. 

Like most stats, I would have to see the other end of this with some of the comebacks, good performances, and how this stacks up with the Hofstras, Drexels and Wilmingtons of the world who have pulled their number of choke jobs during this stretch too. However, all of those teams definitely have more breakthrough (quality non-conference wins) than us. As you said, it is up to the people who care to defend Skerry to come up with the other end of the argument. I am somewhere in the middle so I may or may not take the bait to do that. 

TGCP, thanks for bringing up the Maryland game. That has definitely been lost in time, but there were some good moments in that game. I think what has been so frustrating during the Skerry era is there are so many moments during the game where he makes you proud of the team/program, but not nearly as many actual results that do the same.

It is impossible not to be hugely disappointed in the way the Charleston game ended last week. Playing not to lose is an understatement. I know I will get panned for this opinion, but I do see a little progress in the way this team has played effort-wise the last two tournaments as opposed to some of the complete no-shows that happened previously.

It still isn't good enough, but I do think there is ever so-slight progress. What it amounts to I have no idea (I am sure most on here have a more definitive opinion that I can't really argue).

The really frustrating part to me is this was not a great Charleston team (maybe I will be proven wrong in the NCAA Tournament and the conference can finally win a game), but Towson was better on the day and once again that was not represented in the final score. To your original point, and you will get no argument from me, even though we have been good we haven't closed the door against good teams when it matters very much under Skerry.  

I stated that these are just the blown leads/close games where we totally just shit the bed at the end. I’m sure there a few nice comebacks here and there and may on a slow day dig through and find them. But the losses outweigh the wins. The uncw game this year. Morsell had a few clutch shots but otherwise?

Just showing the wasted opportunities that we had over the years.  It’s mind numbing. We weee 2-11 this year trailing at half and two of those were the first two games in dc.  I will give credit to skerry, we don’t blow as many halftime leads as others (or so it seems) and have a good amount of halftime leads. Which is more amazing considering we usually come out slow.  To be honest the last 12-15 minutes of the first half and first 12-15 minutes of the second half we are probably one of the best teams in the country. It’s those other 8-10 minutes where we do absolutely nothing, that hurts. 

hope you had a nice trip!