• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

MBB falls in regular season finale to Hofstra, 91-86

http://towsontigers.com/news/2018/2/24/mens-basketball-martin-scores-career-best-36-points-against-hofstra.aspx

Zane Martin bounced back with a career-high 36 points but it wasn't enough. The defense was just brutal as Hofstra shot 50 percent from the field and 26 of 40 from the line (Towson 12-of-18).  Pat obviously not happy with the free throw discrepancy but most of it was warranted. They got pretty much anything they wanted off the dribble and we played zone most of the game. Now they started setting for 3s and that's what kept us in the game. But too much Wright-Foreman (27pts). We just can't defend him.

Now 14 turnovers and four from Morsell hurts. But worst play came late in the second half when Eddie, who was playing a lot of point guard today but came off the bench was called for his third offensive foul. He picked up a tech and that meant he had four fouls so he really couldn't play until late in the second half.

Another great game from Gorham (20pts, 12 rebs) and Tunstall (7pts, 13 rebs). That's three sophomores we're relying on. Morsell fouled out with 10 points, no rebounds and 0-5 from 3pt. Zane still struggling from the line but did go 6-9.

Here are Pat's quotes after the game

We're going to play hard. We're supposed to play hard. That's what we do at Towson. I'm happy with the effort. We lost on mental errors. Great efforts from our sophomores. Next Sunday is our Super Bowl. Guys have to get mentally tougher. Eddie silly technical that really affected the ball game. No excuses. Mike silly fouls. He's a senior. Our sophomores are good. Everybody is good at this time of the year. We'll see what we're made of. We don't know if we'll have Brian. We're capable of more. It's a grind with some of these guys. Zane bounced back. I like that he had had six assists. Justin, didn't like his last foul. HE's a really good player. Heck of a second half of the season. He's going to be very good at power forward.  I have other guys that need to give more. That's what has me really frustrated right now. Jordan and Dennis having surgery after the season. Hopefully getting Brian back next week.  I'm going to get go out on the road and get a couple of good players because we have to scholarships available."

Skerry has ZERO answers for this team’s performance down the stretch. Zero.  We can dig into the stats all we want but the bottom line is this team is helpless right now.  Quick exit from the tourney next week.  What a disheartening season.

Well, we shot what, 62% from the field (you would think that would get a W normally). Playing with a thin bench, & on the road. Obviously would have preferred a W, but there were positives-ZM w/ 36 & 6 assists, Gorham with a double double & Tunstall with 13 boards. What’s the common denominator class? If you said they’re all sophomores, you’re right. I’m sounding like a broken record, but if all these sophomores come back, mixed in with Sanders & Solomon U, next year’s team will be better than this year’s crew. 

Also, I like we still have 2 open ships to play with as well.

Again, a less than stellar effort from the 2 seniors. Morsell 0-5 from 3. When we’ve really needed him to step up the last 3 games, he’s scored a total of like 32 points. Again, as I’ve stated before, the departure of Morsell, EK & Starr will be addition by subtraction. Also, I’m hard pressed to see how Prophete fits in going forward. He hasn’t shown even a glimmer of hope, IMHO.

Any idea what the deal is with Starr? While he’s no world beater, we’re better off with him than without him.

On to Charleston 

Probably the best postgame chat with Skerry all season in my opinion.  

I liked that with all his frustration he made an emphasis to say he has 2 scholarships and would be going out to get really good players...  I just like how he phrased it and this guy is how many seasons in and still has that fire burning.   

Didn’t know Dennis & Jordan need surgery after the season.  

Tough finish but at least we get another game.  Zane shared the ball today and just can really fill it up.  

Again, Starr is sick but Skerry didn't sound super positive that he'll be ready for next Sunday. That's a long time to recuperate so he must be pretty ill.

Elon is down 13 points at the half against Northeastern. They are the only team playing worse than us heading into the CAA's. Not really counting bottom feeders though UNCW is playing much better. If they can get a six, that's a tough matchup for Hofstra. If we play W&M, at least we know what we're heading into. If we don't guard the 3, we'll lose 95-85. This team fights but they have little margin for error. Have to defend at least a litle in a conference that really doesn't defend much save for Charleston.

NE beat Elon by 22. Unless I’m mistaken, this locks us into 5th place & a 1st round matchup with W&M, who dropped 114 points on C of C today. 

Should be a high scoring affair. Wouldn’t surprise me if W&M approached or exceeded the century mark.