• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Tough loss for Northeastern

2 hours ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

More games and if you have $$$ you play.

Here University of SF has only 1 senior so they wanted more games.  

Not to rant but St Mary’s is the first top 40 RPI ranked team not to dance.  Formula my ass.   Oklahoma lost of 8 of 10 but tv wants Young in there. Texas was a mess all season but Shaka factor.  Syracuse..  ha. 

And I keep hearing the 2 for 1 line.  Yes you can get 2 for 1 games if you pay but you can also be denied because many BCS schools still don’t want to lose at your place.  St Mary’s would play anyone anywhere.  28 wins and not in.  Just sad.  

While I agree that USC is better than Syracuse and Arizona State the fact of the matter is they beat NOBODY.  Their best win is an 11 seeded UCLA.  At least Syracuse beat Miami on the road...

I look at St. Mary's and while they may be good there is at least 3-5 teams in the NIT that are better than them (ND, Ok St, USC, Louisville and Baylor).  We make excuses for the mid majors all the time.  You have opportunities to go play games, go do it (St. Mary's lost to Georgia and Washington State).  Who cares if it is 2 for 1, 3 for 1 or 5 for 1.  Go play in showcase tournaments, do whatever you have to so when you end up 26-5 with 20 wins over Quad 3/4 teams you don't get left out.

St Mary’s lost in WCC semifinal but they beat Gonzaga in the regular season.  Jock Landale will be playing in the NBA when it’s all said and done   

USC finished 2nd in the conference.  Robbed for sure.  

The Mafia is more ethical than the NCAA...  and if Pitino ends up coaching at a Power School again I’ll be laughin.  

Then why have St Mary’s ranked all season long!?   They had a top 40 RPI. 

They’ve played in Anaheim and Orlando in the past week..  showcase tournaments.  

Why have a conference then!? They should just play as an independent.  

I get what you are saying but please explain to me the formula for making the Dance!?  Top 40 RPI and not in. 

1 hour ago, Chris Datres said:

I don't think the committee watched enough actual games this year because if they had, they could see that St. Mary's and USC were much better options than Syracuse is.  But instead, they relied on all of their fancy numbers and analytics.  I also wouldn't doubt that the FBI investigation had something to do with keeping both USC and Oklahoma State out, despite the committee chairman (Creighton AD, now I see how Creighton got an 8) saying that it never entered any discussions.

this

25 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

I get what you are saying but please explain to me the formula for making the Dance!?  Top 40 RPI and not in. 

Easy, belong to a power 5/6 conference.  MTSU and St Marys were snubbed for two opposite arguments. So play good teams and lose tight games and have a good schedule, not in.  Play easier teams and win all of those games, also not in...

I know the NIT is big, and would love for Towson to eventually make that if they fall in the CAA tournament. But what about a Mid-Major NIT?  32 teams, same rules as before, regular season champ gets and auto bid and then the remainders at large.  ACC, American, Big East, Little Ten, Big 12, Pac-12, SEC, A10 excluded  and MAC, & MWC (if they get gonzaga they wont) if they want.

That way most of the better mid major conferences will have 2-3 teams playing in the postseason.  only thing stopping it is the obvious, $$$

I don’t understand the idea of wanting to play in a second rate post season tournament. The NIT is irrelevant and a dollar drain. There is no reason to participate. Sort of similar to the old Runner Up Bowl in the NFL. 

The Power 5 barely want mid majors in their basketball bid conferences. They can sell the mid major upsets to TV for a huge price in rights sales. 

And the CIT and CBI.....total jokes.

Accidentally hit enter....

to to complete the thought....power 5, give the mid majors the one bid conferences, again to sell the dream for TV rights

2 minutes ago, Tgr4life said:

I don’t understand the idea of wanting to play in a second rate post season tournament. The NIT is irrelevant and a dollar drain. There is no reason to participate. Sort of similar to the old Runner Up Bowl in the NFL. 

The Power 5 barely want mid majors in their basketball bid conferences. They can sell the mid major upsets to TV for a huge price in rights sales. 

And the CIT and CBI.....total jokes.

I dont think the NIT is irrelevant. CIT / CBI yes they are waste. But getting an NIT champ at msg on espn national TV is definitely a big step in the right direction for whatever program that gets it. 

NIT isn't irrelevant. But I didnt think it was pay for play?? Can anyone verify that?

The more games and practice time the better.

So your telling me that if Towson went 28-6 and won the CAA regular season crown and got upset in the tournament, that you wouldnt head to SECU for a possible 4-5 match-up?  What about if we got matched up with maryland?  

The second best team in a mid major conference deserves to play in a postseason game more so than a 7-11 power 5 team in the ncaa