• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MLax stuns #13 Ohio State in OT, 7-6

That was a pretty odd game.  We come out flying and put 3 in with relative ease in the first 10 minutes and then...nothing.  Nary a goal, nary a shot, hell, nary a possession.  Every time I looked up while at work, OSU had the ball.  But goaltending was outstanding for us.  That and a couple of defensive stops down the stretch to force shot clock violations were the difference in the game.  If we had stayed out of the box, maybe we don't even go to OT.  Mazza's take to the net for the gamewinner was a thing of beauty and you've gotta think the Suckeye goalie wanted that one back.

If you had said going into this 3-game stretch that we'd win a game, I'd have said it would have been a big stretch given our inconsistent play early on.  This win gives us a giant boost as we get closer to conference play.

BTW...Albany #1?  Did everyone else die?

Wide open year in lacrosse. Maryland blew a four-goal yesterday against Albany and got outscored 5-0 and deservedly so when you play stalll ball early in the fourth. Ohio State played stall ball and it cost them though some of it was just their offense against our defense. We can't even play stall ball because we turn it over too much. Koby Smith really stood out yesterday. He's just a freshman but fast and good strong with the ball.

Thought our wing play on face-offs was horrible. Woodall wasn't very good but it seemed as though OSU got every 50-50 ball. We went with Joe Patti a lot but Smith is so quick, I'd to back to him. Goodrich or Jake McLean appear to be the best options but Goodrich struggled yesterday. But not on defense. He was terrific and had a goal. Like to see more of him on offense. Our midfield is a mess right now. Our attack is a mess outside of Mazza. We do have some good shooters though. I like Maloof's lefty shot and Sunday can bring it. Neither can dodge that well. I think Sunday at midfield is dangerous because he's not very quick at 6-5. Chetner is probably the best middie in terms of creating. Not a bad shooter but he can get sloppy with the ball. Monahan, the Maryland transfer, has been bad but he has some talent.

We won a game being outshot 40-19. Had just 12 turnovers, which for us is good but never really had the ball much. Amazing performance by Brennan in net and D is getting better. Wilkerson, though he had a tough penalty yesterday with one second on the shotclock, is improving a short-stick DM. Tough to replace Jack Adams but he's coming into his own. As is Koby Smith.

16 minutes ago, sr16 said:

big w was with some fromer lax players including t white and we all saw the W 

He must have been thrilled at the goalie play and defense.