• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
towsonx

Looking at 1st game vs Morgan St

Can never overlook an opponent, but I think we'll win our opener, by a comfortable margin. As long as we're prepared, playing to potential.

From 2018 previews of MSU, it sounds like most just expect them to improve over last year's 1-10 season, but not surprise anyone. 15 starters return, but top offensive players are gone. In addition, I read in the past 3-4 months 2 players have died (auto accident, illness) and another was shot on campus. The players themselves may not have factored in, the loss but could detract from players getting focused on the upcoming season. 

I also think restrictions they are operating under may inhibit their ability to be better prepared.

Morgan State football banned from postseason play for low APR score

FCS: Morgan State Football Looks To Rebound

2018 College Football Team Previews: Morgan State Bears

2018 MSU Football Season Preview

MSUBears.png

I’m so ready for the season to start. I think we should easily take this one but hopefully we don’t play down to the competition. This is the game where players should try to get a feel for things and the get the jitters out. 

Last year we only beat them (at home) 10-0. Of course, that was last year. They had a ballyhooed transfer QB from the SEC; we had a ballyhooed transfer QB from the PAC-12. Between the two of them, they threw 6 INT’s & collectively set the forward pass back by about 50 years

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TSU88 said:

Last year we only beat them (at home) 10-0. Of course, that was last year. They had a ballyhooed transfer QB from the SEC; we had a ballyhooed transfer QB from the PAC-12. Between the two of them, they threw 6 INT’s & collectively set the forward pass back by about 50 years

Our QB was injured in the 1st qtr.  Ultimately it led to him having to give up football. The Morgan QB is now playing D2 BB.  

Right on both counts. Mahalak got injured in early season games in both his seasons here. He got hit so hard vs St. Francis in his 1st year that I cringed all the way up in the gold seats at Johnny U. I think the dude who hit him played with the 49ers last year. A DB, last name Jerome, if I recall.

Staley, the Morgan QB last year, transferred to some school in Georgia named Dalton college. Staley had transferred to Morgan from Mississippi State, where he was a 4 star recruit out of HS

This team talks about having a chip on its shoulder for being picked 10th, well this opener is a good place to start showing that this season is going to be different. I know it is not the same situation, but in 2011 we won 42-3 and had a performance that was a little preview that Towson's losing ways might be turning around. It would be nice to have a dominant performance to get off on the right foot and get people a little excited about the offense and the team in general this year.

12 hours ago, TSU88 said:

Staley, the Morgan QB last year, transferred to some school in Georgia named Dalton college. Staley had transferred to Morgan from Mississippi State, where he was a 4 star recruit out of HS

THANK GOODNESS!  That get KILLED us last year in hoops. Career game of 8 pts and 9 rebounds for a 1.8 and 2.1 per game player.

With the state of our program, we should not overlook anyone, especially a team we only beat 10-0 last year.. with that said, this one should go our way.

I've said it before, I hate this series.  We should trounce them every year.  And every year we seem to play down to them and either pull out a win or get upset.  I hate it.

When was the last time we treated Morgan like we should?  Please say before 1993.

1 hour ago, Ghost of andy7171 said:

I've said it before, I hate this series.  We should trounce them every year.  And every year we seem to play down to them and either pull out a win or get upset.  I hate it.

When was the last time we treated Morgan like we should?  Please say before 1993.

Holy crap guys!  We spanked them 42-3 in 2011. We didn’t renew the series until 2010-11. Last year was an anomaly. 

I'd like to see TU dominate early, build a comfortable lead and control the tempo till the end. A blowout would be nice, but isn't necessary. Football's like a chess match & coaches don't want to show upcoming opponents all they can do.

The Morgan St - Towson series needs to take a break every few years. Id prefer another FBS opponent. A very weak one? I.e., Liberty? UMass? UNC - Charlotte? Or any team from the Sunbelt conference.