• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
Chris Datres

TOWSON 36, MORGAN 10

Excellent way to start the season.  I thought Flacco looked pretty comfortable back there and he seems to stand tall in the pocket and exudes a bit of confidence that we haven't had under center the last 2 seasons.  And as stated earlier in August, if the offensive line is looking good, our attack is going to look good.  I thought the o-line played really well tonite and we could have put 50 on the board if we had pounded the ball a bit more behind that line instead of some questionable passing plays.

Flacco looked really good. I'll have quotes from him and RA later. Wallace and Heyward were great. But Rob said we couldn't run because they stacked the box. Then we should have run on the perimeter more. Watching the Maryland game, they ran a million jet sweeps with their wide receivers. That's something we could do if you put Shane or Kobe in the slot. Thought Kobe looked great, Yeede was a punishing runner but Shane struggled against that stacked box. Have to get him out on the edge more. Rusolillo limped out of the locker room with a boot on his foot. Fortunately, Carnesale started last season but we really can't afford to lose a lot on the O-line. We do have some good subs in Cassels and Cheripko at guard but we're very young at tackle..

https://towsontigers.com/news/2018/9/1/football-retains-battle-for-greater-baltimore-trophy.aspx

Not sure about Jabari Allen being on special teams with that skinny frame. I think that's where he got hurt. We had a ton of injuries tonight though two looked serious in Knudson and Rusolillo. We can afford to lose a receiver or two. Seems like we're getting thin there with no Greaves and no Dorsey due to injuries. Not sure how serious but they missed the last couple of weeks of camp. We used a million freshmen tonight because of that new rule where you can play freshmen for 4 games before you can redshirt them. I wonder if we use D'Argo Hunter if the injuries continue. He was terrific at the end of camp even though he's only 5-6/165.

Also, we need to finish drives better and it starts with the play-calling inside the 5. I don't mind throwing fades to Clark who is 6-6 or one of the Jabari's but the throw to Gallahan, it appears they were not on the same page after Flacco faked it. I think you have to use your hammer and that's Yeedee in short-yardage. We didn't have the last season or you run Shane or Kobe on the perimter. You can also use Flacco on keepers but he's been getting pounded all night. Tom also holds onto the ball for a long time, extending the play, which is cool but he also takes more hits that way.

When he has time, he lets the play develop and throws a terrific intermediate pass. Something I haven't seen in many years. Enders was good at that as well though I think Flacco's arm was better. But they do have some similarities.

I'm going to try and watch the game again on tape. I thought we were just laying the wood last night. DeBerry hits like a monster and he only played about half the game. Hayward was everywhere and Wallace was his typical self. Reaves didn't get a chance to show his ability but he had one pretty hard hit. I know it's tough to pressure a running QB like Harris but I'd really like to see us dial up more pressure and blitzes next week at Winston-Salem. I thought we were really nice to not blitz Morgan State when they were at their own 1-yard line. Maybe I missed something but it seemed like we got conservative on D as well as O in the second half. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Flacco did take a lot of hits, but he seemed to pop right up each time, so he's tough. Still, you worry about that over the long haul. I thought the receivers looked good last night, but our lack of success on third down (just 3 of 14 conversions) was worrisome. Uninspired play calling had something to do with it, which is a longstanding problem.

The defense played well. There were some soft spots over the middle that other teams will take advantage of (I'm thinking of Villanova -- their QB was carving up Temple at times yesterday). But all things considered, this beat last year's Morgan game performance by a mile.