• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

MBB falls at No. 5 UVa, 73-42 (official story up)

41 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

I think it’s way too early to judge this group with no real history other than Sanders. He was a terrible FT shooter at Duquesne and no matter how hard he has worked at it, it appears he’s not going to be much better. Again guys could go 75 of 100 at practice but that doesn’t always translate to games.

Not to disparage the team, but they are skerry guys, athletic but not the best shooters. Dont believe any came in as highly regarded shooters.  I'm expecting around 68-72% as usual, which is not bad considering we typically shot ALOT of FT's.  Some on here seem to think they should be automatic and 90+% which is ridiculous in the college ranks.  WM was 81% last year 

Maybe I drink too much black and gold cool-aid from time to time but I really believe that this team will be different than most Skerry teams.  Not saying our won-loss record will be something to brag about.  It's only one game and between last night and this Sunday, we'll really not know for certain what kind of team we have.  This team will be unselfish, will make the extra pass and will shoot well (including FTs).  They'll rebound just as well as Skerry teams of the past.  Defense and point production from down low is what will trouble this team the most, especially with so much young talent on the court.  I believe every rookie played, which means no red shirts.  Not sure how I feel about.  Even a W&M poster on their board commented that he thought Towson would surprise a few after watching some of last night's game.  I'm looking forward to seeing the team live against Vermont and Morgan and hoping I won't be yelling "pass the ball" much any more.

As we’re all painfully aware, non-conference W/L record means absolutely nothing at this level of college hoop....no at-large buds to CAA.  Even our regular conference record takes a back seat to the CAA Tourney. Just. Win. The. Tournament.  Wake me up in mid February.

We all knew we were not going to win this game.  I like Timberlake and hopefully him and the other freshman develop as the commentators mentioned on air last night over the next few years.  

In this age of basketball you need shooters.  I may be wrong but I just don't see any on this team right now.  44% from the free throw line?  Inexcusable.  That stat may even overshadow another glaring one from that stat sheet.  I know they only made 17 field goals but we had ZERO ASSIST?  Terrible.  

26 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Not to disparage the team, but they are skerry guys, athletic but not the best shooters. Dont believe any came in as highly regarded shooters.  I'm expecting around 68-72% as usual, which is not bad considering we typically shot ALOT of FT's.  Some on here seem to think they should be automatic and 90+% which is ridiculous in the college ranks.  WM was 81% last year 

So let’s stereotype every Skerry guy. Howard shot 89% in HS and 79.5% at Chipola Junior College.

Fobbs shot 86 from the line in Genesee CC. Nobody reads or believes any of the reports I’ve written that said both can shoot it.

5 minutes ago, Blazer49 said:

We all knew we were not going to win this game.  I like Timberlake and hopefully him and the other freshman develop as the commentators mentioned on air last night over the next few years.  

In this age of basketball you need shooters.  I may be wrong but I just don't see any on this team right now.  44% from the free throw line?  Inexcusable.  That stat may even overshadow another glaring one from that stat sheet.  I know they only made 17 field goals but we had ZERO ASSIST?  Terrible.  

Based on Virginia, arguably one of the greatest defensive programs ever. 

With so many new players on our squad, last night vs the #5 team in the country is not a good measuring stick. Nor will this coming Sunday’s game vs a DIII team be a good barometer (though hopefully we win by 40 points or so, just to build a little confidence).

The Bahamas tournament, where we will play 3 mid-majors should be more reflective of what kind of team this will be. And, as another poster mentioned, OOC games are, in the grand scheme, relatively meaningless since the only CAA team going dancing is the one that wins the conference tournament in early March of next year. Highly unlikely it’ll be us this year. My highest expectations would be for the team to gel as the season progresses & avoid finishing in the bottom 4 of the conference standings. Even that might be a stretch, but time will tell.

Edited by TSU88

23 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

So let’s stereotype every Skerry guy. Howard shot 89% in HS and 79.5% at Chipola Junior College.

Fobbs shot 86 from the line in Genesee CC. Nobody reads or believes any of the reports I’ve written that said both can shoot it.

High school and junior college are an entirely different animal. 

Again, not a stereotype, we will finish somewhere around 68-72% with the NCAA average around 72.5%. Nothing wrong with that, but others on here complain about the FT shooting

We also shot 66% and 68% with mcglynn who was 92% by himself 

16 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

High school and junior college are an entirely different animal. 

Again, not a stereotype, we will finish somewhere around 68-72% with the NCAA average around 72.5%. Nothing wrong with that, but others on here complain about the FT shooting

We also shot 66% and 68% with mcglynn who was 92% by himself 

So is playing at Virginia.